Dear Board : A thread for small things not worthy of a thread of their own.

On 13/03/2017 at 10:05 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

I'm in the same boat - it's my jumpers that take up the most room :( a wardrobe and a chest of drawers and I still have a big pile at the bottom of my bed lol 

That's why my jumpers are in my bed divan drawer... except the cardis I rotate each day.

On 13/03/2017 at 7:51 AM, Buckwheat said:

Buy another wardrobe. ;)

No room for another one in the bedroom.  "Buy another house" is not an option!

On 13/03/2017 at 9:39 AM, Jo498 said:

youtube and the rest of the internet are teeming with videos, tips and blogged experiences how to minimalize, improve etc. one's wardrobe or clean up the closet. Some of them are fairly straightforward, e.g. "triage": make three heaps of keep, give away, don't know, repeat procedure with don't know heap. Others include more subtle psychological or gamifying methods to make it easier.

When I tried this I had a tiny number of "give away" (which I did, indeed, give away) and couldn't get further with the "don't know" pile.  Getting rid on usage grounds is just as tricky in a way.  I don't do a winter wardrobe/summer wardrobe swap, so my summer work clothes are all still stuck in there not having been worn much since 2014 (summer 2015: too pregnant to wear the more fitted things after mid July.  Summer 2016: not working).  I'll look at the psychological methods you mention.  The "don't know" just needs some work.

I didn't say it was easy...

Once I visited friends and wondered why the wife was packing a large suitcase (because as I was there for a couple of days they were certainly not travelling anywhere right away). Turned out that it was the winter/summer swap (or vice versa) of her clothes because despite a spacy apartment they did not want to get a larger wardrobe...

Since my last move I also have to improvise to some extent and my experience is that a larger wardrobe or closet is far preferable to a small one and two chests of drawers. Because wardrobes or closets are usually far easier to organize. There are clothes I misplaced and could not find for months or I had to pull out and check a half dozen tightly packed drawers.

I hate PowerPoint and want it to die. I'm in a seminar the brilliant/lazy professors structured as being a series of presentations by the students. So it's just people reading out their - hundreds of words per slide - slideshows in a mumbling monotone for three days. Some easy credits just aren't worth it, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I hate PowerPoint and want it to die. I'm in a seminar the brilliant/lazy professors structured as being a series of presentations by the students. So it's just people reading out their - hundreds of words per slide - slideshows in a mumbling monotone for three days. Some easy credits just aren't worth it, I guess.

Aargh. I am of the school of thought that if the audience can read the slide rather than listen there is too much text by far. Some key-words that help people who drift in and out of attention keeping track ought to be enough.

Pictures, maps, graphs, diagrams, by all means. Key phrases, central insights, pithy summaries, startling quotes, also acceptable.

Over a thousand words, read out verbatim, from the German tax code, on the other hand, is, I can very categorically say, a bad use of slides.

I hate power points like that I had to give a 10 minute presentation and all I had on the PowerPoint was pictures and a few quotes - and then I read from notes in front of me, realised they were all in the wrong order and then winged the whole thing and it was one of the few pieces I got a first in :lol: 

I don't hate my use of powerpoint. My powerpoints are pithy and artful. But I will happily sacrifice that apparent superpower we lucky few possess if I never have to see a bad one ever again.

It's almost 4am first night out been on in months km very drunk but...

Need to work on flirting m not prettiest girl but when rare people do flirt with me can be standoff ish how can I not be like this people would go hone if they knew I was willing but I can't just be ugly  and easy I hve to have people like me and when people talk to me and still don't fancy me I feel awful like why did you come here in the first place and my stupid fce and talking has killed your boner I'm so sorry I'm like this 

I'm very very drunk and very very ugly I'm aorry soerrry

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It's almost 4am first night out been on in months km very drunk but...

Need to work on flirting m not prettiest girl but when rare people do flirt with me can be standoff ish how can I not be like this people would go hone if they knew I was willing but I can't just be ugly  and easy I hve to have people like me and when people talk to me and still don't fancy me I feel awful like why did you come here in the first place and my stupid fce and talking has killed your boner I'm so sorry I'm like this 

I'm very very drunk and very very ugly I'm aorry soerrry

You're super hot.  Your face is so symmetrical.  

Today my father and I both went to get haircuts, I hadn't had one since last September, he hadn't had one in a bout a year. His beard was getting into duck dynasty territory. We both feel better now.

As I was getting ready when got out of the shower the TV was on with breaking news about the attack in London.

Just before I left home the phone rang, caller ID said "Joneboro, GA". It was a recording, it said to put pressure on my congressman to repeal the ACA and to press "1" if I wanted to be connected to his office. I said "Eff You! Eff You! Eff You! Eff You!" into the phone and hung up. (if my mom wasn't in the room when I answered the phone I wouldn't have said "Eff") :angry2:

On the way home we passed a car with a confederate flag sticking out its back. :stillsick:

Then we passed a field and I saw three deer grazing. I love it when I catch glimpses of deer, rabbits, owls, herons, and other animals out in thw wild. There's so much bullshit in the world but at least I can take advantage of small moments of beauty, serenity, and contentment and appreciate them all the more.

Hey, Drawk!  I just called **my** representative and put pressure on her to vote that MF'er DOWN. 

I can't help thinking, though, that instead of yelling into the phone, you should have seriously asked them why they want thousands if not millions of people to go without health insurance.  IOW, try to have a serious conversation with the lamebrain.  Yes, I know it's probably pointless, but you never know. 

Today I fell into a bog on the side of a Welsh mountain lmao whilst also starting my period and really needing a wee HAHAHA what can be more beautiful and natural than a bleeding menstruating woman walking around nature covered in bog mud L M A O

:lol: 

Pretty good day all in all 

In much smaller government idiocy...faxes. Again with the faxes. Israel embassy of Mumbai, for some godforsaken reason, needs the university to fax them a letter of invitation for a conference-goer. Fax. Why a fax? It can't possibly be more convenient for them either, at this point in time.

Can we stop the saying "the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

I can find no dictionary source that provides this definition for the word insanity. Also the general idea is demonstrably wrong for many scenarios in life. Such as fishing, for example.

Archived