(spoilers) Theory about the Night King...

Grayce Hornwood

I think we can all agree that this episode held a number of revelations. Whether those turn out to be true in the books remains to be seen. But as far as the show is concerned, I wanted to put forth some thoughts I had about the Night King.

My Unsullied SO actually put forth the question: "Who is the man that the CotF turned into the Night King?" His limited knowledge of the booksonly what I've told himis enough that he understands the Children have been in Westeros for thousands of years, and that their main enemy was the First Men. Once he brought this up, it got us thinking. The man that the CotF turned into the NK was likely one of the First Men (possibly a Stark ancestor?), who are known to have strong warging and greenseeing abilities. Do you all think it's possible that the NK was a warg, and after he was turned by the CotF, whatever magic they used just amplified his abilities? To the point that he can actually "warg" (not sure if that term would still apply) corpses (aka the wights)? Might also explain how he's able to touch Bran inside the vision, the way that the 3ER has been able to communicate with him through visions in the past.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. :) 

ETA: Just to clarify for everyone, I am referring to the Night's King on the show, not the one mentioned in the books.

3 minutes ago, Dc Castillo said:

I don't think that was the Night's King that the COTF created because the Night's King didn't come about until after the Wall was built to keep the WW north of the wall.  He was also the 13th lord commander of the NW

Yeah, but is the show going with that?

OP: I've no idea

3 minutes ago, Dc Castillo said:

I don't think that was the Night's King that the COTF created because the Night's King didn't come about until after the Wall was built to keep the WW north of the wall.  He was also the 13th lord commander of the NW

The main White Walker, at least as far as I can remember on the show, is referred to as the Night King. That's who I'm talking about, sorry if that wasn't clear.

38 minutes ago, Dc Castillo said:

The 13th LC of the NW was the Night's King according to what story? Even in the books it is passed down more as legend and not as fact. All records of him were destroyed after he was defeated. It could all be made up.

43 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

The actor who played the man who was turned into a white walker is the same actor who plays the Night's King. No idea if that's significant, but I'd imagine that's the Night's King they created yes.

2 hours ago, Grayce Hornwood said:

I think we can all agree that this episode held a number of revelations. Whether those turn out to be true in the books remains to be seen. But as far as the show is concerned, I wanted to put forth some thoughts I had about the Night King.

My Unsullied SO actually put forth the question: "Who is the man that the CotF turned into the Night King?" His limited knowledge of the booksonly what I've told himis enough that he understands the Children have been in Westeros for thousands of years, and that their main enemy was the First Men. Once he brought this up, it got me thinking. The man that the CotF turned into the NK was likely one of the First Men (possibly a Stark ancestor?), who are known to have strong warging and greenseeing abilities. Do you all think it's possible that the NK was a warg, and after he was turned by the CotF, whatever magic they used just amplified his abilities? To the point that he can actually "warg" (not sure if that term would still apply) corpses (aka the wights)? Might also explain how he's able to touch Bran inside the vision, the way that the 3ER has been able to communicate with him through visions in the past.

This is very interesting. I think it could be possible. People have long theorized that the NK was a Stark, but I don't think they thought it went down like this. The idea of him warging tens of thousands of wights at the same time is crazy but interesting.

3 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

3 hours ago, DireGhost said:

The 13th LC of the NW was the Night's King according to what story? Even in the books it is passed down more as legend and not as fact. All records of him were destroyed after he was defeated. It could all be made up.

Could be made up.  but according to the Game of Thrones wiki, they list him as the 13th commander.  Idk if this is supposed to be taken as truth but it seems as a legit source for the show.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night's_King

Just saw this quote below, so maybe the show is deciding to just make the Night's King the original Walker

The actor who played the man who was turned into a white walker is the same actor who plays the Night's King. No idea if that's significant, but I'd imagine that's the Night's King they created yes.

I have a different, way more tinfoilish crackpotting theory :

BR's last words aren't aimed at Bran, he is talking to NK. The NK is approaching BR while all his generals stand around, he stares at him and Bloodraven says "The time has come, leave me". We all think he is talking to Bran, but in my opinion he is talking to NK, who either has warged him all this time or knows about BR through other visions. Maybe i'm reading too much into this, but even in the vision BR seems to be talking to someone else than Bran. 

3 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I have a different, way more tinfoilish crackpotting theory :

BR's last words aren't aimed at Bran, he is talking to NK. The NK is approaching BR while all his generals stand around, he stares at him and Bloodraven says "The time has come, leave me". We all think he is talking to Bran, but in my opinion he is talking to NK, who either has warged him all this time or knows about BR through other visions. Maybe i'm reading too much into this, but even in the vision BR seems to be talking to someone else than Bran. 

I'm not so sure about this. If the NK was warging BR the whole time, why would BR tell Bran "It's time for you to become me..." Doesn't seem like the NK wants to convert Bran, seems like he wants to kill him.

5 hours ago, Grayce Hornwood said:

My Unsullied SO actually put forth the question: "Who is the man that the CotF turned into the Night King?" His limited knowledge of the booksonly what I've told himis enough that he understands the Children have been in Westeros for thousands of years, and that their main enemy was the First Men. Once he brought this up, it got me thinking. The man that the CotF turned into the NK was likely one of the First Men (possibly a Stark ancestor?), who are known to have strong warging and greenseeing abilities. Do you all think it's possible that the NK was a warg, and after he was turned by the CotF, whatever magic they used just amplified his abilities? To the point that he can actually "warg" (not sure if that term would still apply) corpses (aka the wights)? Might also explain how he's able to touch Bran inside the vision, the way that the 3ER has been able to communicate with him through visions in the past.

I always thought that men that could be greenseers and wargs were a result of the children and first men mating at some point, which lead to the Starks, a combination of first men and children.  

15 minutes ago, Daniel Niemietz Braz said:

Basically, Boltons was defeated by Stark, every time. An alliance between Cotf and Boltons.
And the actor chosen to play the man before the NK, isn't a coincidence.

Well, firstly, there's very little evidence to support that the man the CotF turned into the Night King/Original Walker was entering into an alliance willingly. In fact, all evidence points to the contrary. He was gagged and bound to a tree and screaming as the dagger was plunged into his heart.

But my guess about him possibly being a Stark is really secondary to my question about him being a warg.

Also, I'm not sure what you're getting at with the actors. They don't particularly look alike...

9 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I think it's safe to say now we know why dragon glass and valaryian steel can kill them.  It's because they were created by magic and obsidian.  

Also how many times is that 1 white walker gonna be killed?  That's like 4 times now right? 

Lol, yeah it seems like it's been a few times now. ;) 

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that in the scene with the CofT creating the WW, they were actually creating "The Great Other" who was used to defend the CotF against the First Men.

After this, the pact was made between the CotF and the FM, leading TGO to retreat to The Lands of Always Winter.

From there, I suspect that TGO started to create a few more WWs, one of them being the NK, who may act as a sort of Army Commander or something while TGO remains in TLOAW, potentially controlling the WWs and The Army of the Dead from there.

2 minutes ago, The Yung Wulf said:

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that in the scene with the CofT creating the WW, they were actually creating "The Great Other" who was used to defend the CotF against the First Men.

After this, the pact was made between the CotF and the FM, leading TGO to retreat to The Lands of Always Winter.

From there, I suspect that TGO started to create a few more WWs, one of them being the NK, who may act as a sort of Army Commander or something while TGO remains in TLOAW, potentially controlling the WWs and The Army of the Dead from there.

Hmm, this is an interesting thought as well. I guess I just assumed the CotF were creating the Original WW/NK/Whateveryouwannacallhim because the actor playing the guy bound to the tree looks a heck of a lot like the actor credited as "The Night's King" in the same episode on iMDB.

26 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I always thought that men that could be greenseers and wargs were a result of the children and first men mating at some point, which lead to the Starks, a combination of first men and children.  

I agree with this. I think the COTF procreated with First Men to combat the NK. Or at least hold him at bay should he cross the wall.

Archived