Book vs. Show

Maxxine

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Regarding Show vs Book in general, I think a lot of threads D&D ignored from the books are being brought back in their ham-fisted way, but at least it is being brought back.

Specifically the monumental change they made to the Sansa/Rickon storyline. With teleporting Littlefinger's arrival at Mole's Town, they effectively brought Sansa's arc back to the Vale and the Riverlands, which is where her powerbase in the books was always going to be. Sansa should not be in the North at all. But they are sticking to at least part of the true script in that Jon will need a trueborn Stark to rally the North behind, and that is likely where Rickon was going to come in in the books.

So in the books Rickon joins with Jon, instead of Sansa, and Sansa builds her influence in the Vale. And as we expected, the Tullys take the Riverlands back, resulting in the release of the Northern hostages, including the Greatjon.

So pretty soon we will have Jon rallying the North in Rickons name, while Sansa rallies the Vale. And the Riverlands are brought back into play as well, resulting in a three-fold North-Vale-Riverlands alliance once more by the time Daenerys arrives in Westeros.

Yep, They are getting to broadly the same outcome.

Probably the same in Dorne- e.g. an invasion that gets swatted by the Tyrells...

9 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

"Someone asked him about the show's Hodor name reveal. He said that his name reveal in the books will differ in the context and how it happens. So while the name will still mean the same thing (Hold the Door), it will be very different from the show's reveal. He said he came up with the name idea in 1991 and seemed depressed that the show got to reveal it before he did. He said he had no one to blame but himself for his slow writing. He joked about how jealous he was of Stephen King's writing speed. He said he seemed to release an entire book every time he's only just written about a chapter and a half."

yeah could be in the Far Norht, the  Wall, Winterfell,.. but  when will we read it exactly?

the whole farce last year gives me strong suspicions the whole tv series will be done before the WOW sees the light of day. And i can't see him wrapping things up in less than 2 books more after that.......

13 hours ago, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

does they  constitute a disproving?  would that it were so. 

I mean Mercy I seems to be pointing to this being the thing that gets her kicked out of the Faceless Men. 

Alayne I introduces Harrold and has Sansa already digging his claws in to them and setting up the big reveal.

And Theon I has Stannis binding the Iron Bank to him, foiling the Karstark betrayal, sets up Theon being beheaded by Stannis and tells us that Stannis has a plan.

These chapters arguably move the plot faster than the first few chapters of ASOS.

13 hours ago, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

Yep, They are getting to broadly the same outcome.

Probably the same in Dorne- e.g. an invasion that gets swatted by the Tyrells...

I doubt that. 

Mace Tyrell(militarily incompetent) is marching on Aegon who has a plan, Garlan's army is preoccupied with the iron born right now so the Dornish joining in will be while the Tyrells are engaged on all other fronts. 

It's all being set up for Aegon to win the Iron Throne at least until Daenerys comes.

15 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

I read the 1st book all the way thought.  I really liked it.

I started the 2nd but then work, life etc.  The show is just so good (for me anyway).  So I've been strictly show since.  

It seams the book readers dislike most of the shows I am finding.  Only giving out faint praise.  To each their own I suppose.  

Not to sound pretentious but if I had more time I would definitely finish the books.  I am very sure they are great with so much more detail and backstory explanation.  

Book 3 is one of the best fantasy novels ever written.  It's so f'n good, you should do yourself a favor and read it.  

I think for us readers we will never be satisfied, here is a series that we were in love with before the show came out and to put a face to all these characters and events is like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid, but as you open gifts you find you got Gobots instead of transformers.

On May 23, 2016 at 10:58 AM, TexasDirewolf said:

D&D confirmed that GRRM told them about the Hodor origins and etc. This is how it will happen in the books.

Nope. GRRM just confirmed that that is not how it will happen in the books.

He interviewed Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) at the Jean Cocteau. Afterwards he answered questions while Joe Hill was signing books. Someone asked him about the show's Hodor name reveal. He said that his name reveal in the books will differ in the context and how it happens. So while the name will still mean the same thing (Hold the Door), it will be very different from the show's reveal. He said he came up with the name idea in 1991

25 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Book 3 is one of the best fantasy novels ever written.  It's so f'n good, you should do yourself a favor and read it.  

I think for us readers we will never be satisfied, here is a series that we were in love with before the show came out and to put a face to all these characters and events is like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid, but as you open gifts you find you got Gobots instead of transformers.

haha, well said.

I have experienced this with other novels I have loved that went to the big (or small) screen.  

That ASOIAF box set is gonna get cracked open again one of these days.  I'm gonna do it.  This stuff is too good. 

On 5/23/2016 at 1:55 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

https://ventrellaquest.com/2014/04/20/got-got/

Me:  I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator.  It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”

Martin:  (laughing)  You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

Well this ruins it a little bit. Lol. But even if the "Hold the door" thing is true the context doesn't have to be the same. The book can still skip the space-time continuum issue that comes up in the show. Maybe Bran just sees the "hold the door" scene. But it happens with Ned or Benjen or someone. Idk. Like I said I'm still going to hold onto Hodor being connected to the Crypts somehow. 

On 5/23/2016 at 2:44 PM, GeorgeIAF said:

Meera and Bran will survive because the NK doesn't want them dead, he just wants to chase them back to the Wall so the magic barrier will go away when Bran goes past it (the way the magic protecting the COTF cave went away), and he'll be able then to take it down (i think that will be in the same fashion he cracked the ice in this episode).

Bran being dead will make it impossible for WW to cross the Wall, without the Horn of Winter or another magic weapon.

This makes sense and I like it for how the Others will get across the Wall, but even if the Others don't want to kill them without Summer & Hodor they can't make it. If I remember correctly they're a long way from the Wall and Meera wouldn't be able to carry Bran, protect them, find food, etc without some help plus they would have sickly Jojen tagging along. 

On May 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM, HellasLEAF said:

I read the 1st book all the way thought.  I really liked it.

I started the 2nd but then work, life etc.  The show is just so good (for me anyway).  So I've been strictly show since.  

It seams the book readers dislike most of the shows I am finding.  Only giving out faint praise.  To each their own I suppose.  

Not to sound pretentious but if I had more time I would definitely finish the books.  I am very sure they are great with so much more detail and backstory explanation.  

Yeah, the books are by far better, but IMO anyway the show is still amazing. For me, once I came to the understanding that the show can't do the back story's, motivations and peripheral stuff quite as much, and they were going to change certain storylines, it got a lot more enjoyable. Especially this season since I don't have a book to compare to, it's really heightened my enjoyment.

For me personally I'd have to say the 2nd book was probably my least favorite. Maybe that's why u stopped ha. Book 4 is for sure number 1 for me, then my rankings will always differ depending on mood and depending on which re-read I'm doing.

On 23 May 2016 at 7:58 PM, TexasDirewolf said:

D&D confirmed that GRRM told them about the Hodor origins and etc. This is how it will happen in the books.

Unless GRRM now changes it to mean something completely different.  Which is a real possibility IMO.

I am not convinced the event will take place at the tree either.  I was thinking more along the lines of him holding a door on the Wall.

6 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Yeah, the books are by far better, but IMO anyway the show is still amazing. For me, once I came to the understanding that the show can't do the back story's, motivations and peripheral stuff quite as much, and they were going to change certain storylines, it got a lot more enjoyable. Especially this season since I don't have a book to compare to, it's really heightened my enjoyment.

For me personally I'd have to say the 2nd book was probably my least favorite. Maybe that's why u stopped ha. Book 4 is for sure number 1 for me, then my rankings will always differ depending on mood and depending on which re-read I'm doing.

I agree with the first paragraph.  Mirrors my thoughts exactly.

I thought the first three books were excellent.  But that ACOK was the weakest of them.  Less said about the next two the better....

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:16 AM, HellasLEAF said:

Maybe I'm a contrarian but I have read all five books and I now prefer the series.  Books 1-3 were good (not the best that I have read) but certainly good enough to keep me going.  Books 4-5 were a real let down.  It seemed that they were just killing time, bringing in new plot lines and characters that didn't matter but that filled pages.  The series (which I only started watching this year, I wanted to see where the story was going and since I don't see a new book in the imminent future I binge watched the previous five seasons) seems to move along much faster.  It's true there are some things I prefer from the books, I'm more into Tyrion as schemer and not as mid-level bureaucrat for example, but all in all I think I prefer the series (and I almost never prefer the movie over the book).

15 minutes ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Maybe I'm a contrarian but I have read all five books and I now prefer the series.  Books 1-3 were good (not the best that I have read) but certainly good enough to keep me going.  Books 4-5 were a real let down.  It seemed that they were just killing time, bringing in new plot lines and characters that didn't matter but that filled pages.  The series (which I only started watching this year, I wanted to see where the story was going and since I don't see a new book in the imminent future I binge watched the previous five seasons) seems to move along much faster.  It's true there are some things I prefer from the books, I'm more into Tyrion as schemer and not as mid-level bureaucrat for example, but all in all I think I prefer the series (and I almost never prefer the movie over the book).

The show has better pacing but is completely missing the themes that the books have and that's the biggest let down for me apart from the gaping plot holes . 

It's like the why of it doesn't mater in the show just the action and the twists so everything feels a lot more out of the blue 

The show feels more like it's inspired by ASOIAF rather than being an adaptation 

On 5/24/2016 at 1:47 AM, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

the whole farce last year gives me strong suspicions the whole tv series will be done before the WOW sees the light of day. And i can't see him wrapping things up in less than 2 books more after that.......

That would not surprise me. And given that the show has now passed the books - the cat is out of the bag now - he may just take his time and not finish the book until he is completely happy with it. And that could certainly be after season 8.

2 hours ago, Titan said:

That would not surprise me. And given that the show has now passed the books - the cat is out of the bag now - he may just take his time and not finish the book until he is completely happy with it. And that could certainly be after season 8.

Wouldn't surprise me,either. After all, it's been five years since ADWD was released. What's a couple more matter.

5 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I agree with the first paragraph.  Mirrors my thoughts exactly.

I thought the first three books were excellent.  But that ACOK was the weakest of them.  Less said about the next two the better....

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of 4-5 on my first reads, but in subsequent reads I just found 4 so good. I especially enjoy the Cersei chapters and world building most of all. Maybe it's because it lacks some action compared to the other books and the action sequences or "reveals" always lose a little for me on later reads. Of course that's only my thoughts though ha.

9 hours ago, Titan said:

or he might just give up entirely. 

Archived