Bakker's TGO Excerpts II: Mining our Merest Fraction [Spoilers]s

It's not just direct questions - it's asking if his father grasps the absolute.

That implies a lot. It implies that akka should know what the hell he is talking about in some form. Alternately, it implies the dunyain wants him to ask more about it and their goal. But it's not simply a direct question.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

It's not just direct questions - it's asking if his father grasps the absolute.

That implies a lot. It implies that akka should know what the hell he is talking about in some form. Alternately, it implies the dunyain wants him to ask more about it and their goal. But it's not simply a direct question.

The question strikes me as suggesting that the rest of the Dunyain were in on parts of Moenghus' Thousandfold Thought which Kellhus wasn't. I mean Kellhus thinks he's leaving Ishual to find his father, not grasp the Absolute, but this appears to be what Koringhus thinks is the endgame of Kellhus' venture beyond monasticism.

7 hours ago, Gasp of Many Reeds said:

The question strikes me as suggesting that the rest of the Dunyain were in on parts of Moenghus' Thousandfold Thought which Kellhus wasn't. I mean Kellhus thinks he's leaving Ishual to find his father, not grasp the Absolute, but this appears to be what Koringhus thinks is the endgame of Kellhus' venture beyond monasticism.

Right, that's what I'm getting at too. It isn't just a Dunyain asking questions. It implies a lot more.

16 hours ago, Callan S. said:

Has this flaring been noted before? Is it new information?

I was certain it had been, but apparently not. So that's a bit from The Great Ordeal that sneaked out early (there's a series of descriptions of the Arkfall from the omniscient narrator).

Wait, this is from the wertzone post - isn't it incorrect?? Or am I just remembering it wrong that sranc were developed from from Cunuroi? There's bits in the books about the beautiful faces of sranc (as well as bald) - they get those from the nonmen, not men, don't they?

Actually, you're right. Although to men later on I suppose it wouldn't necessarily be as obvious (they're still derived from humanoids, and Nonmen and Men are physiologically similar enough to breed).

The articles are meant to be from a pre-TGO perspective to catch people up before TGO is released, so if there is anything in TGO that contradicts the received wisdom, it won't be revealed in the articles.

6 hours ago, themerchant said:

Twice in 5 thousand years or there about.

To be fair they aren't doing the sexy times all that often. It might be many times that otherwise. But it'd still be a very low rate.

For example, peeps say we share 99% genetic material with orangutans- but can we mate with one and produce a baby?

Yep, just went there... >:)

21 minutes ago, Callan S. said:

To be fair they aren't doing the sexy times all that often.

The Nonmen kept human concubines, none became pregnant as far as we know.  And based on the story of Cil'Aujus, they were desperately trying.

4 minutes ago, Claustrophobic Jurble said:

The Nonmen kept human concubines, none became pregnant as far as we know.  And based on the story of Cil'Aujus, they were desperately trying.

Ah, but did the nonwomen keep human concubines? See, it's the male seed that forces the womb and all dat jazz, down Earwa way. 

Speculation: is it possible Aurax and Aurung survived the cleansing of the Ark because they were the ones who had gone over the Kayarsus into Eanna and subverted the teachings of men there and encouraged them to come to Earwa and destroy the Nonmen? I can't work out otherwise how they managed to survive. The Nonmen seemed pretty thorough in scouring the Ark clean of the Inchoroi (it's big, but not so big it'd take twenty years to completely explore from top to bottom).

I seem to remember a glossary in one of the books mentioning some hidden chamber they secreted themselves in. Not sure.

The Inchoroi are such tragic figures - I really didn't get until the descriptions of damnation torture, I think because the idea of such hell isn't really part of my cultural history.

Hmn... 

Finally got around to reading Wert's article and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, the majority of it is more than fine, of course, and while the Ark impact is dramatic, my suspension of disbelief drops into the non-spaces of reality with having to believe anything biological inside the Ark wasn't reduced to molecular jelly by the site-force of the crash.

Individual anti-grav suspension chambers, maybe.

And how would the majority of the Ark have become buried?

Yes, I know it's fantasy and why-believe-this-but-not-that, but The Second Apocalypse is a bit of a genre bender with so many scifi elements, which begs [for me] that physical processes/forces at least be respected.

Did you only now just realize that the ship crashed and the Inchoroi survived? Either way, the answer is that they are so technologically advanced that they found a way to crash without all dying. I mean even if we assume that you know what you're talking about I'm sure you'll agree that there is a chance the Inchoroi can think of something that you haven't thought of, or that they know something that you don't, or that you missed something...

I'm starting to see things from Bakker's perspective now.

Archived