The Kingsmoot

thegreenmanalishi83

Not to be a contrarian but I kind of liked the Kingsmoot. Not my favorite scene and not as good as the books but overall some strong pluses and minuses I thought, especially on the re-watch.

Liked someone mentioned would have liked to see the crates, but the pine cones don't make sense of Yara isn't advocating to end the war so I get that. Overall I liked Yara's speech and loved Theon's. Continueing his progression back to ironborn and still backing his sister after someone called out that he should be king. Loved the addition of having Theon there.

Euron was a bit underwhelming. IMO Didn't mind the Horn not being there, felt a little dues ex machina to me in the books, also didn't mind the dick jokes (I feel like it was the best point Euron could honestly make).

Didn't like the kinslaying admission though, made all the IB look terrible for not caring at all.

Didn't like the lack of people there, should of been way way more. Also, they don't want Yara, but she can then steal the whole fleet? I can maybe see her stealing a few ships that she commanded but not the whole Iron Fleet.

I really enjoyed the montage after the election though, the drowning, the fleeing then Euron wanting them dead.

i just don't get who's gonna go see Dany now though? I don't see any reason for Theon and Yara to go? If Euron goes, will we not get his current plot from the books? Will he send a random?

Our first introduction to Euron on the bridge was brilliant. The character was played exactly as he seemed in the books: dark and menacing and larger than life and slightly crazy. But then this guy who's no more than a posturing thug struts into the Kingsmoot, admits to regicide and kinslaying, makes a couple of dick jokes, and is crowned King? What?

The Kingsmoot in general was terrible. There was zero explanation as to why a Kingsmoot was held instead of Balon's heir being determined through the line of succession, as is everywhere else in Westeros. There were, like, two dozen people present. Somehow Yara commandeered and got away with the greatest part of the Iron Fleet. Now Euron plans to build a thousand more ships, with trees that don't seem to exist on the Iron Islands—and it'll probably be done in a week, and he'll be in Slaver's Bay in two (while Sam and Gilly still haven't made it to Oldtown). I understand leaving out Dragonbinder, but they could've at least had Euron's men blow some horn to silence the crowd and herald his arrival—it would've made for a dramatic entrance and been a nice nod to the horn in the books. The entire Kingsmoot was ridiculous.

I had such high hopes for the Ironborn storyline, after how badly the show destroyed Dorne. But it looks like the Ironborn will be getting the same treatment. 

They totally Dornified the Iron Islands, it was terrible.

Just like with Dorne, succession customs are out the window. Dick or no dick, it makes no sense for the Ironborn of all people to choose a woman over a male heir, especially if said male heir is standing right there, seemingly no worse for wear. I mean, he totally stood up to Euron and read him for shit in front of everyone. Was he ever Reek or did I dream that?

Reek reek, rhymes with dick, apparently, since that's all these writers can write about. Euron and Tyrion should have a comedy battle to see who can come up with the best dick jokes. Honestly, this season's had more dick jokes than the entirety of "Two Broke Girls."

Also, way to keep the "warmongering = strong women" theme going strong. Just like with Ellaria, Asha's plan for peace is replaced with Yara basically picking up Balon's torch, never mind that a couple episodes ago she told Balon that his torch was fucking stupid. 

And of course, just like in Dorne, kinslaying is all the rage now. All the cool kids are doing it. 

But the stupidest thing, by far, was Yara taking a page from Ramsay's best-selling book and using her own 20 good men to steal ALL THE SHIPS! while Euron was too busy cosplaying a dying Magikarp, because CPR is for (bad) pussies, apparently. And then Euron comes back to life and asks for Yara and Theon like it's a Scooby Doo episode. Like, they stole all the ships under your nose, Aquaman! How did they escape? Why didn't Euron have them killed at the Kingsmoot?

And then the cherry on top is Euron's plan to launch a thousand ships using just his pretty face, because building a ship is done in 5 minutes like the project during the last ten minutes of Art Attack. And just what are you going to use to build this gigantic fleet, the Amazon forest? More like the truffula trees from the Lorax, for all the sense it makes.

Ugh, this season was going mostly well, but they dropped the ball so hard this episode. 

1 hour ago, imaginepageant said:

Our first introduction to Euron on the bridge was brilliant. The character was played exactly as he seemed in the books: dark and menacing and larger than life and slightly crazy. But then this guy who's no more than a posturing thug struts into the Kingsmoot, admits to regicide and kinslaying, makes a couple of dick jokes, and is crowned King? What?

The Kingsmoot in general was terrible. There was zero explanation as to why a Kingsmoot was held instead of Balon's heir being determined through the line of succession, as is everywhere else in Westeros. There were, like, two dozen people present. Somehow Yara commandeered and got away with the greatest part of the Iron Fleet. Now Euron plans to build a thousand more ships, with trees that don't seem to exist on the Iron Islands—and it'll probably be done in a week, and he'll be in Slaver's Bay in two (while Sam and Gilly still haven't made it to Oldtown). I understand leaving out Dragonbinder, but they could've at least had Euron's men blow some horn to silence the crowd and herald his arrival—it would've made for a dramatic entrance and been a nice nod to the horn in the books. The entire Kingsmoot was ridiculous.

I had such high hopes for the Ironborn storyline, after how badly the show destroyed Dorne. But it looks like the Ironborn will be getting the same treatment. 

I think they recognised this, and tried to explain it through Euron's saying he paid the iron price etc, which the Ironborn would likely admire. Problem is that it seemed a bit too far-fetched for them to believe it so easily, even if the Ironborn are typically a bit dumb and susceptible to someone who's trying to outplay them.

It's also strange that they went from being so determined for Balon's heir to follow, presumably because of their worship for the guy, but were then cool with following his killer just afterwards.

Kingsmoot was ridiculous.

OK so Euron wins with a ridiculous speech.. I will give them that, but how in the hell id Theon and Yara steal ALL the ships.

Seriosuly.  If they had that many loyal men, they would have won the Kingsmoot.  They lost though so one assumes they have few loyal to them.  

1 minute ago, Xarkar said:

Seriosuly.  If they had that many loyal men, they would have won the Kingsmoot.  They lost though so one assumes they have few loyal to them.  

Them superdelegates, man, I tell you. 

The Kingsmoot was a bit of a joke.

Euron in the show is either, not well written or not well acted. He is not charismatic, hes quite dull and boring. The ONLY reason he gets voted King is the Dragon Horn. In the show, its because he told a dick joke. Its a laughable scene.

Kin and Kingslaying are the most serious crimes anyone can commit. Euron admitted to both of them. Makes sense that Aeron would then reward him with the Crown of Salt and Rock. This season, Kinslaying has been made a mockery of.

The new King is voted on by the Longship Captains. In the closing part of this sequence. We see Asha taking off with a ton of ships and some men, apparently most of the Iron Fleet. If they had this many people to pilot this many ships. Surely she would have won the vote regardless?!

14 minutes ago, chandl34 said:

I thought it was interesting Damphair did no CPR to bring back Euron.  So all the drown victims in these rituals have to come back on their own?

I imagine its part of the ritual.

"What is dead may never die."

"But rises again, harder and stronger."

So he dies in the sea and if he is worthy of the crown, he rises again, as king, harder and stronger. If he cant come back to life, perhaps the Drowned God has not given his blessing for his anointment.

I guess that Yara and Theon will play the part of Victarion with the Iron Fleet in the books.He's totally missing in the  series and they'll play his part while Jorah will probably get his burning-and-newly-repaired hand.Also,I think this says quite a lot about the entire IB's quest for dragons...I don't see a happy ending for their sorry lot...

I think it's just the minor lords at the Kingsmoot - that's why there are so few of them. The men crewing the ships have probably sailed under Yara before and simply left when she told them to, maybe they initially think she won the Kingsmoot.

12 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Where do people think Yara/Asha and Theon are going with their fleet?

if euron is going to offer his services to Dany, then Asha and Theon are going to the help her counterpart, the other targ which at the moment is in North

the armies are building up, expect a clash of ice and fire by the end of the series!

I agree with those pointing out the rather unusual (well, ridiculous) fact that apparently, the forestless Iron Islands will provide enough wood to build a new fleet. In an instant. To play a role in this season, most likely.

However, equally weird is the fact - very much related, but not pointed out so far, at least in this very context - that in order to take the fleet with her, Yara needs men. They didn't vote for her at the kingsmoot because they probably are simple soldiers and sailors who have no vote. But still. Now the fleet is gone with all the soldiers and sailors. Even if Euron gets a new fleet in two days, where would he take the people to man them from?

But at least it's consistent with the books in the sense that in the books, the economy/manpower/etc. of the Iron Islands has always been massively deus ex machina too :D

Edit - because it's also ontopic: really liked Theon.

Dany is rich and powerful, why would she accept some pirate as husband for few ships, when she can just buy ships or can order to build ships, heck she can just ask and wise masters would do everything to get her ships,

euron probably would have ended up in dragons stomach,

its not like she lacks soldiers and besides that 1000 ships is not enough now, considering the fact her newly accrued dothraki army

eurons plan was stupid

I got the feeling the actor, who played Euron, had not researched his character well. Zero charisma just a normal friday night 3am gloating & desperate drunkard.

And no-one cares about kinslaying anymore?  

Horn would have added a lot of impact to the scene with minimal story disruption.

So we are where we are ahm- Now is Euron going after Yara? Assuming she is going to Meereen, one boat could get there way faster than a whole fleet. Euron has his own boat doesn't he? Sit, wait, kill her when she is unguarded in a bar somewhere then take back command of the fleet & continue to Danaerys. Job done.

Iron Islands are on the west coast? That's a long way to Essos.

Theon & Yara were great.

Archived