So is GOT just going to Ignore Ser Meryn Trant's Death

King Perkis

Maybe this has been discussed already in another thread and if so my bad for making another.  Just something I have wondered and maybe I missed it in the beginning episodes, but Mace Tyrell is back in King's Landing, Ser Meryn Trant is missing and presumed dead by everyone (I am assuming), there is now a vacancy on the King's Guard, and there has not been a mention of this at all in the show. At this point I am assuming D&D are just going to scoop this under the rug and there is little chance this small plot gets some closure. Either way, I understand this isn't the most pressing thing going on in the show but it seems odd.

Show does not care about the King's Guard.  There's been more than 7 multiple times, and unless they do something (Trant beating Sansa and/or dying) they don't have names.

Someone mentioned Trant's death on the streets of Braavos, but no one in King’s Landing gives a shit apparently.

I wouldn't expect a follow-up. In the books, sure. Not in the show. They get under 10 hours a year to tell their story. Trant's demise isn't a major talking point so it's not going to get air-time beyond the closure D&D intended for in the Arya scene last year. 

50 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

Maybe this has been discussed already in another thread and if so my bad for making another.  Just something I have wondered and maybe I missed it in the beginning episodes, but Mace Tyrell is back in King's Landing, Ser Meryn Trant is missing and presumed dead by everyone (I am assuming), there is now a vacancy on the King's Guard, and there has not been a mention of this at all in the show. At this point I am assuming D&D are just going to scoop this under the rug and there is little chance this small plot gets some closure. Either way, I understand this isn't the most pressing thing going on in the show but it seems odd.

Perhaps it has simply been discussed off-screen(considering we haven't gotten to see some Small Council meetings now that Cersei is barred from them, until the recent plan to face the HS) and a replacement was named.

11 minutes ago, TexasDirewolf said:

I wouldn't expect a follow-up. In the books, sure. Not in the show. They get under 10 hours a year to tell their story. Trant's demise isn't a major talking point so it's not going to get air-time beyond the closure D&D intended for in the Arya scene last year. 

16 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

Show does not care about the King's Guard.  There's been more than 7 multiple times, and unless they do something (Trant beating Sansa and/or dying) they don't have names.

Someone mentioned Trant's death on the streets of Braavos, but no one in King’s Landing gives a shit apparently.

Even with the small amount of time to discuss a replacement and D&D's lack of ability to logically finish a plot line.  The fact that an all out war with the HS is approaching and continual arguing with the Tyrells would seem to support the idea that Tommen (influenced by Cersei) would want someone with Lannister allegiance in the position.  Because at some point in this season, and continued into the next two seasons, I don't see how the King's Guard won't be playing a larger role (and by that I mean more screen time) since more threats will be within reach of King's Landing.

21 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

When was there more than seven?

13 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

In addition, why was Arya punished for killing him.  He did kill Serio, didn't he?  Another open situation....if he was more than just "the 1st Sword of Braavos."

She was punished for giving the gift based on her own desires.  He tells her that it isn't her place to judge.  It's part of her having to leave Ayra behind and become No One. 

5 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

The only solution I can find is that Sir Robert Strong is filling in for Trant and it was just never discussed by anyone lol. 

^^This. I seem to recall Qyburn mentioning that Ser Strong was the "newest member of the Kingsguard" after Cersei returned to the Red Keep from her Walk of Shame, but I can't remember completely.

Well, D&D basically wrote out the Gold Cloaks as well, so the Kingsguard might as well join them on the sidelines. Apparently, Lannister soldiers are the only guards anymore whether it is in the city or as part of Mace's envoy to Braavos.

Bottom line is there is no logic to any of it, so it's best not to ask.

2 minutes ago, Grayce Hornwood said:

^^This. I seem to recall Qyburn mentioning that Ser Strong was the "newest member of the Kingsguard" after Cersei returned to the Red Keep from her Walk of Shame, but I can't remember completely.

the only issue is Arya kills Trant and Cersei does Walk of Shame in the same episode.  So, there is a time gap issue with how that info quickly got across the Narrow Sea but either way with how time traveling works in the show that seems a minor detail.

3 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Well, D&D basically wrote out the Gold Cloaks as well, so the Kingsguard might as well join them on the sidelines. Apparently, Lannister soldiers are the only guards anymore whether it is in the city or as part of Mace's envoy to Braavos.

Bottom line is there is no logic to any of it, so it's best not to ask.

Aren't the Gold Cloaks supposed to be the driving force for the Lannister's attack on the HS (besides the Tyrell forces) next episode.  Because I thought the plan was to have the Tyrells on stand by while the Gold Cloaks secure Margery.

On the show they haven't named all the Kingsguard but the seen vacancies have went like this

Robert's Seven

Joffrey dismisses Barristan, appoints the Hound

The Hound deserts, Ser Mandon is killed

Tywin  appoints 2 new Kingsguard since we see 5 with Tommen on the steps of the Sept of Baelor + Jaime + Meryn

Meryn dies, The Mountain appointed.

3 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

the only issue is Arya kills Trant and Cersei does Walk of Shame in the same episode.  So, there is a time gap issue with how that info quickly got across the Narrow Sea but either way with how time traveling works in the show that seems a minor detail.

The show has shown time and time again that they have no regard for how long it takes for information, or people for that matter, to get from one place to another. Case in point: how Littlefinger was able to get from the Vale to the Wall in what's only supposed to be a couple of days.

But like you said, minor detail ;) 

ETA: When Arya kills Trant, it happens after dark. Cersei does her Walk of Shame during the day, so it's unlikely the two events happened at the same time. Possibly the same day, but who knows. D&D are not known for their consistency.

5 minutes ago, good girl said:

On the show they haven't named all the Kingsguard but the seen vacancies have went like this

Robert's Seven

Joffrey dismisses Barristan, appoints the Hound

The Hound deserts, Ser Mandon is killed

Tywin  appoints 2 new Kingsguard since we see 5 with Tommen on the steps of the Sept of Baelor + Jaime + Meryn

Meryn dies, The Mountain appointed.

And that about sums it up. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

Aren't the Gold Cloaks supposed to be the driving force for the Lannister's attack on the HS (besides the Tyrell forces) next episode.  Because I thought the plan was to have the Tyrells on stand by while the Gold Cloaks secure Margery.

That may be, but have we seen them at all thus far in this season or much of last season? They've really shrunk the world down by making it seem like King's Landing is populated with less people.

And based on what I've seen, I believe the Tyrell army is going to be the leading force. There is a photo of Jaime and Mace (in that ridiculous helmet) leading an army, and I think they are Tyrell men. Otherwise, they could have had the Gold Cloaks and Lannisters lead an attack against the HS. But again, logic....

Archived