BwB London Meetup - Weds 28th December 2016

Toft

13 hours ago, Zoë Sumra said:

I could do from 3.30ish on either the 28th or 29th if we are going for an afternoon.  Sam, will you be OK to do something after the HP tour?  If there's any concern about your tour length it might be better to suggest 28th if we are doing an afternoon.

Yeah I can do something after the tour - I've been before, and to be honest, am returning to mainly see the new areas that have been added since my last visit, so I don't anticipate spending most of the day there like we did last time.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

@SamanthaofHodorsfield Sounds like 28th may be good but it means more of an afternoon thing? Or maybe 30th as an afternoon/early evening thing. We don't want you to head back up too late, that's a long journey!

I'm (probably) free all day and evening on both days so it makes no odds to me. Might impact on other people who are working though :)

I'm not back at work until the 6th Jan, so I really don't have any objection to getting the overnight coach if people wanted to make it an afternoon/evening thing.

1 hour ago, Toft said:

I assume some of us would remain until the evening if it was 28th? I can't do 30th, anyhow.

Or even do that - you guys can carry on into the evening. I can always come back and join you after the theatre if you're still at it. :D

Damn. I just realised that all rail services fom Colchester to London are going to be cut off for the entire week.

I'll probably still be able to make it in, but it means going via Stansted Airport and getting a coach :o

2 hours ago, Toft said:

Dreaded bloody engineering works... Well, we could always hold the meet-up in Victoria, then you could get a coach directly there. There's a Wetherspoons called the Willow Walk that would do the job.

Cheers. The direct coaches take over 3 hours though (!). It'd be faster to get a coach to Stansted (1 hour) and then the express train into London (40-odd minutes).

28th sounds good to me :)

The Jugged Hare on Vauxhall Bridge Road (not to be confused with the restaurant near Liverpool Street) was pretty nifty, very close to Victoria and St. James Park tube stations.

The Cask Pub & Kitchen on Charlwood Street, Pimlico is very good, but can be quite expensive.

The Montague Pyke on Charing Cross Road was pretty solid for a central location but got quite busy. I know it's a Wednesday after Christmas, so it might be better. Also, very close to the theatre (assuming it's in the same place), so minimises Sam Travel Times :)

I'm a big fan of The Grapes on Narrow Street in Docklands, not far from Canary Wharf, as there is like an ongoing 5% chance Ian McKellan will show up (as it's both his local and he owns it) but it's a bit out of the way. You have to take the DLR to get there and it's also a bit of a pain in the backside for the theatre. I'd avoid and might put it forwards for a meet-up later next year.

Might be able to come, would people maybe be up for some games? (I've suggested hosting something in the past, at our place in King's Cross, but not promising anything at this stage, especially with Christmas. Maybe.) 

Definitely more keen on a small Boardpeople reunion than a large pub gathering (especially with Christmas crowds), but if it ends up as the latter, I'll still try come say hi briefly. Is not often there's a Sam in the vicinity! 

Yes.  Maybe hubby and baby as well depending on timing (I am working until 3pm on 28th and will be able to come straight to the pub afterwards: hubby is not working but his attendance therefore depends on baby's nap times).

I assumed you had space for 100-150 people at yours! Dear me ;-) Well, let's give is a few more days to add up attendees then pick a suitable pub. I think if we do it centrally, it'd end up working out best, in which case the Montagu Pyke was suggested before, but it's a bit noisy. Let's see.

The Oak is still only about half a kilometre from the Palace Theatre, not too bad. The Pyke is a lot closer, but it will certainly be busier. It'll be midweek between Christmas and New Year, so there shouldn't be too many shoppers around (touch wood).

Archived