[BOOK 3 SPOILERS] Why obsidian makes the Night's King

RoamingRonin

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Problem I have with the Nights King creation:. If you stab any man in the heart with dragon glass will he become a walker?  They should had Leaf or the other Children chanting or something.  Or did Leaf energize the blade like she did with the fire/nature grenades?  

There had to be a lot of magic that went into making the Night's King. He was tied to a heart tree. I don't think it was simply a man getting stabbed with a dragon glass blade.  

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Problem I have with the Nights King creation:. If you stab any man in the heart with dragon glass will he become a walker?  They should had Leaf or the other Children chanting or something.  Or did Leaf energize the blade like she did with the fire/nature grenades?  

I agree.  The scene just raised more questions and doubts about how capable the writers are of seeing the big picture.  It was a classic case of opening a can of worms.

I don't think D&D put much thought into the scene. They just wanted it to look cool. They really don't care too much about the backstory or the nature of various magical powers. That's the kind of stuff that they cut, or alter for the sake of one scene.

In short, I don't think this represents anything from the books, and isn't really worth an in-depth analysis from a show standpoint.

6 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

There had to be a lot of magic that went into making the Night's King. He was tied to a heart tree. I don't think it was simply a man getting stabbed with a dragon glass blade.  

And those spiral patterns are probably meant to focus some kind of energy like ley lines and henges. I don't think this was a casual act of sorcery but the culmination of a grander ritual. I doubt the chap who caught the blade was the only one who sacrificed to pull off this off.

4 hours ago, hiemal said:

And those spiral patterns are probably meant to focus some kind of energy like ley lines and henges. I don't think this was a casual act of sorcery but the culmination of a grander ritual. I doubt the chap who caught the blade was the only one who sacrificed to pull off this off.

The whole scene was done too quickly.

I've felt this scene should have been at least a minute longer, thus it would fill in more gaps.

6 minutes ago, Dany's Golden Fleece said:

So I take it the only way to kill the Night King is to take the obsidian out of his heart.

Can't dragonfire melt obsidian, cant remember?

I would say it can't melt it because obsidian is made by fire.

It would look cool to see someone reach into the Night's King and pull the obsidian dagger out and watch him shatter. Hopefully all the other Others and wights die with him. 

Nice signature, BTW. 

On 28/5/2016 at 5:05 PM, Gendels Children said:

Is it possible that along with the original Dragonglass that was inserted into their chests, there were other "magical ingredients" perhaps it was coated with a balm or paste they had made along with an enchantment of sorts.

or a spell!

• 1 month later...

So using Dragon glass to create the Night King? How would that work to create the white walkers before the conquest of Aegon and his dragons. If dragon glass comes from Dragons, how did they have it before they had the fire dragons of Valyria? There is a major plot hole created from this scene. The only possible thing I can think of is that the First Men came with Dragons and the CotF found some of the newly created Dragon glass and used it to change the war.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2016 at 3:40 AM, House Toad said:

The world over. Hasn't Greenland lost its ice-sheet due to the paradoxical El'nino and frack there goes the reef and 2/3s of fish as well? We won't evolve. And we better make an Exit, developing hasn't been developed all because some colonialist wants his 1% when those trade deals don't hit their inflation as the currency burns in the short term, long term it's daisies guess as some people just hate being in the back of the queue and they want too rule. Far too political. Sshh Toad we are just reading a book.

Any significance was possibly a means of stopping them, the weapon that binds also destroys? What do they have as a counter?

I found frozen fire funny in that conversation, I doubt it signified too much. But the land is the same

Truth. The impending soon we miiiight survive as part of the few (depending on the order of events) still parallels to this story, despite the ice not being warm and all the other imperfect or backward metaphors.

Anywayay, on the topic, because of this duality, it's like only diamond can scratch diamond, with dragonglass hearts and daggers. Equal strength and form in magic. 

I think people, incl children, first men, Andals, are both fire and ice. Everything is both. But, the WW repeatedly contradict this theme in the show, perpetually otherise villains of great power and who act with seemingly no reason. There has to be a fitting reveal, to redeem them or at least make them sympathetic. But there is always someone to root for even after so many you like are murdered...always someone to prefer over others...

But I don't think it'll be about trees, as much as I want it to be. I think the trees.are just one more thing to be valued like all religions and cultures in the GoT world. People who like power and can forgive her incest like Cersei, people who feel for the little traumatized girl like Arya, the empowered righteous warrior choose Dany, etc. Dany isn't a dragon, she has ice in her. But more fire. 

Jon, however, is both Stark and Targeryean. North and South, Ice and Fire. That's a hard clue to his importance. I think Bran or Arya is the opposite of Dany in this respect. Virtually nothing alike, especially Bran. But all have both qualities in them. 

Sooo, the right level/potency of each, the form of frozen fire (as opposed to burning ice?) will destroy the being of frozen fire... 

In which case, the doom of Valyria was burning ice..?

Archived