(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion - Rant & Tear apart

17 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Agree. And they could have given show Sansa some character development. In her own story in the books, she's genuinely hitting it off with Sweetrobin, because they have a lot in common. They share her love of songs and stories, and he's a safe person she can talk to, so the audience can see what's motivating her, her hopes, her fears, and her sexuality in a positive way (he's her stand in for kissing Sandor).

That would have been a nice thing to add to the story, instead of this stagnant and inorganic rape and revenge story, and having everything driven by Littlefinger. In the books, he's driving things, but her time on her own, and with Sweetrobin, she's resisting, and figuring out what she wants. Which actually does matter, she's supposed to be a person. This is supposed to be her story, not Littlefinger's story.

Exactly. The bolded would be a reassuring thing for the show to state as well: that despite all the horror in the world, and contrary to the opinions of some of the characters, songs and stories and the ideals they contain are worthwhile. They can inspire, bring people together and help people rise above the savagery around them. That they are part of what makes people more than animals. Jaime, Sandor, Sansa... all have had their idealistic views crushed and torn, and demonstrated as false. Wouldn't it be good to show that maybe, just maybe, they aren't?

On 6/2/2016 at 5:29 PM, WSmith84 said:

Exactly. The bolded would be a reassuring thing for the show to state as well: that despite all the horror in the world, and contrary to the opinions of some of the characters, songs and stories and the ideals they contain are worthwhile. They can inspire, bring people together and help people rise above the savagery around them. That they are part of what makes people more than animals. Jaime, Sandor, Sansa... all have had their idealistic views crushed and torn, and demonstrated as false. Wouldn't it be good to show that maybe, just maybe, they aren't?

Yes. And that's what she did, with Sandor, he's wandering around the Riverlands remembering her song, while she's remembering his kiss via Sweetrobin! Sweetrobin and Sansa have both been through hell, thanks to Littlefinger, he killed both of his parents, and her father, and betrayed her mother, and yet here they are, finding strength and hope, together. Rather poetic, how that worked out. And I bet they will be his undoing, too.

Here's that part, it's funny, how often they must have done this, she reads him stories about knights, and they kiss:

As the boy’s lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

It made no matter. That day was done, and so was Sansa.

Alayne pushed her little lord away. “That’s enough. You can kiss me again when we reach the Gates, if you keep your word.”

2 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Exactly!  And it looks like, if Sansa plays her cards right, she may soon have even more "influence" and, thus, power in the Vale;)  You're so right when you say her book story wasn't actually about nothing.  The show could have easily had something very similar to what Sansa's book story line in the Vale will be.  And it would have been so much better than Winterhell.  They could have even moved it up a bit into season 5. 

They didn't even have to move it up, it's all about the same timeline, just don't rush past it. There are many things they could have done to give her this time to breathe, after all she had been through, which she really needed as a character. Instead, they took everything away.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

They didn't even have to move it up, it's all about the same timeline, just don't rush past it. There are many things they could have done to give her this time to breathe, after all she had been through, which she really needed as a character. Instead, they took everything away.

I agree.  I am really just suggesting that if there was concern that Sansa wouldn't be seen for too long (if that would be another justification for shoehorning Sansa into Winterhell) then they could have just moved her story line in the Vale up a bit:dunno:

But none of that really matters since they were determined to turn Sansa into Jeyne Poole no matter what.  Yes, you're right, the timing of Winterhell but simply having Sansa's Vale story line instead would have worked just fine.

I'm going to write a list of characters who have absolutely no purpose on the show right now.  Feel free to add to this list if you like.

Jon, Davos, Melisandre, Tyrion, Varys, Daario, Jaime, Kevan, Pycelle, Mace, Theon and Yara.

18 minutes ago, Rubicante said:

I'm going to write a list of characters who have absolutely no purpose on the show right now.  Feel free to add to this list if you like.

Jon, Davos, Melisandre, Tyrion, Varys, Daario, Jaime, Kevan, Pycelle, Mace, Theon and Yara.

i would either take jon out or add sansa. same with jaime and cersei

also add pod, grey worm, missandei.

1 hour ago, Rubicante said:

Beavis and Butthead. Err, I meant D&D. 

18 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

They could have taken LF prisoner, or better yet, killed him, and claimed the Vale army to rescue Rickon. Sweetrobin said he's doing it for his cousin, so just show up and say here I am, his cousin, let's go rescue his other cousin. Just lie and say they were ambushed, and LF died. Lie for good reason, to save an innocent life.

Exactly, I have been saying this for weeks.

Sansa knows the 'Lord's Declarant" do not like Littlefinger. No one would bat an eye if she said that Littlefinger was killed by Bolton soldiers.

Also, Sansa is not alone in being stupid. Almost every character is made stupid to serve the plot (except Tyrion, who is always a genius no matter what), to be honest.

4 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

Meera, Gilly, Sambaby, Edd, 2 of Dany's Dragons, Faullaria, Sandworms, Olenna,

Jeez yes, Dany has seriously neglected and punished Viserion and Rhaegal! And because of what Drogon did and yet Drogon has been given free rein to Fly wherever he wants and to participate in he show whenever he feels like it, and has been able to grow proportionate to the space and food he has been able to graze. Meanwhile (for drogons crime) the other 2 dragons have been chained up in a dungeon for 7 hells who knows how long. I wouldn't blame them for deserting Dany for other riders that will treat them better, it's actually rather cruel what has happened to them!

15 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yes, it most certainly is. Here's a glimpse at feelings on this very show. Now, if you forget that he's Larry now, Jaime is remembering Brienne, he's missing her, he's worried about her, he's miserable with Cersei, he wants to be a better man... All those things are there, clearly in the text, for book Jaime... and it's all over his face in this moment. There it is, in just a brief moment, showing how he feels.

There's no excuse for them not doing this more often. It took no time at all, no extra budget, no special effects, just an actor who has a story to draw upon, and he does. They just stopped telling that story, so he could be a groveling fool for no reason at all. And I don't think they are done with the story, I think they will come back to it, and he will instantly be different. The Big Moment. That's bad writing.

Thank you & @SerMixalot - I thought I was alone with this.  Except for Dany they recruited many very talented actors, so why waste their talents for T&D (tits & dragons)?  It would have been easy for them to stick to the books, maybe cut out a bit due to time constraints, but keep the emotional baggage in tact....

I would add the direwolves to the list of no purpose on the show, but they have killed all but two. Arya completely forgot Nymeria, and Jon often forgets Ghost, he's just his pet, and sometimes he thinks he's Sam's pet.

Archived