[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

And with Aeron dead, does this finally kill the idea that Theon is destined for a return to glory at a repeat Kingsmoot? Not that it was ever very likely, given Theon's condition.

That theory never really made sense to me, for a bunch of reasons.  Theon could never win a Kingsmoot, and if for some reason he actually posed a threat, Euron would just have him killed.

Things worked out for Falia about as well as I imagined.  Well, she can always treasure those memories of her legitimate female relations being raped and turned into naked servants.

Tall, terrible bride with hands of white fire... all this shade of the evening business, the killing of gods...

His eye is finally described, his bloody eye.

Who else is said to have red eyes at times? Those destined to be greenseers.

And then...

"When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly,"

I think it's been suggested before, somewhere, but I think this underscores some substance to the notion that Euron was born a dreamer... and was twisted by something or someone (the heart of winter and its spears?) into essentially becoming (probably without any real awareness) an agent of the Others. The bride? A reference to the corpse queen, perhaps, some notion in his head that drives him?

Hrm.... is his penhcant for mutes a way to make "wights" of his own?

Edited by Ran

Well, George isn't wasting any time culling the PoV characters, like he promised. I assume this is either the last or second last chapter for Aeron. We might see him again as he witnesses the coming battle while tied to the prow of Silence.

And with Aeron dead, does this finally kill the idea that Theon is destined for a return to glory at a repeat Kingsmoot? Not that it was ever very likely, given Theon's condition.

Agreed, ohhhh that would be soo awesome to see him witness battle.

Yes, Theon will have to claim Pyke via force. There are a lot of options such as, Stannis wins and Theon finishes him with Manderly fleet (not likely but this chapter was more than unlikely to predict), Ironborn betray Euron, they get crushed by Redwynes or maybe even Hightowers,...

I dont know who will rule at the end but Euron will fall eventually.

I just dont see Theon winning Kingsmoot even if Euron would ever accept one. After 3 minutes of taunting he would start to call himself Reek and Ironborn dont want Reek as a King.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Tall, terrible bride with hands of white fire... all this shade of the evening business, the killing of gods...

And then...

I think it's been suggested before, somewhere, but I think this underscores some substance to the notion that Euron was born a dreamer... and was twisted by something or someone (the heart of winter and its spears?) into essentially becoming (probably without any real awareness) an agent of the Others.

Wow. Interesting interpretation.

And for the first time it gets me thinking that the Others may approach this war more strategically than simply trying to mindlessly roll on South with their zombie hordes. If they are able to have someone like Euron start weakening humanity from the opposite end of the continent, then it shows a lot more strategic vision and intelligence than most people gave them credit for, before.

And it then begs the question, if they can use Euron for that purpose, why not other key players in the series to date? And that immediately makes one start considering potential candidates who have played a major role in weakening Westeros just before this new Winter arrives.

People like Baelish, Varys etc.

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

25 minutes ago, Hos the Hostage said:

Damn, Aeron is dead, it seems. But if Euron killed Victarion (he says he killed three brothers) too, does that mean this chapter is before Vic's Winds chapter?

24 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

No, I immediately went to check the Greyjoy family tree on the Wiki, and there are a bunch of other brothers and halfbrothers, some of whom died in their infancy and childhood years. Thanks to Euron, I guess.

The three brothers are said to have been Robin, Harlon, and Balon. Nothing on Quenton and Donel, as far as I have read.

Who would the tall, terrible bride with hands of white fire be?

Edited when I saw I forgot to reference that again:

The bride? A reference to the corpse queen, perhaps, some notion in his head that drives him?

Hrm.... is his penhcant for mutes a way to make "wights" of his own?

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Edited when I saw I forgot to reference that again:

Maybe the white haired woman Bran saw in his last vision? Kind of the High Priestess of the Others? The same woman who was the corpse bride of the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

49 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

No, I immediately went to check the Greyjoy family tree on the Wiki, and there are a bunch of other brothers and halfbrothers, some of whom died in their infancy and childhood years. Thanks to Euron, I guess.

According to BryndenBFish tweet its Harlon (the oldest), Balon and Robin (the youngest).

Seems a little fishy though, there were 3 older brothers from a first marriage who all died in infantancy, then the second Marriage gave Balon, Euron, Victarion, Urrigon, Aeron and finally Robin in the final marriage. 
Seems unlikely that Euron would have been either born or old enough to dispatch any of the original three? At best he would have been born when Haron was about 8 or 9.

Urri dies due to the finger dance with Aeron so only one left is possibly Vic.

EDIT - Just seen Ran's post, yeah Aeron remembers Harlon so he must have lived long enough.

Edited by toffeejay

53 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

• Oh and uh, Euron admitted to killing 3 of his brothers, including Balon.

Balon, + 2 of Urri, Robin or Harlon (assuming he's not counting Aeron before he's hatched him).

Robin was a sickly child, but it's not said if he died from sickness.

Urri died of an infection.

Harlon died from greyscale.

So at the least, Euron considers himself responsible for Urri's infection. At most he's responsible for Urri's infection and somehow for Harlon's greyscale.

Edit - And I see above the chapter confirms who the three are. Which is excellent, Euron somehow got Harlon greyscale. Which is massive.

Edited by chrisdaw

People assumed Harlon died from the greyscale, which was surely killing him, but I could see Euron deciding to smother him in the night or something. Again, Harlon lived long enough that Aeron remembered him.

Robin was also an "idiot", best forgotten -- so yes, I suspect Euron find an opportunity to off him as well, as an easy target.

1 minute ago, Colonel Green said:

That theory never really made sense to me, for a bunch of reasons.  Theon could never win a Kingsmoot, and if for some reason he actually posed a threat, Euron would just have him killed.

Things worked out for Falia about as well as I imagined.  Well, she can always treasure those memories of her legitimate female relations being raped and turned into naked servants.

well actually AFAIK Theon just appearing to be alive is a deathsentence to euron.

6 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

This chapter sounds like a horror story, WTF!!! 

LIke Isay and have always said: Euron makes ramsay look like a choirboy.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

And then...

I think it's been suggested before, somewhere, but I think this underscores some substance to the notion that Euron was born a dreamer... and was twisted by something or someone (the heart of winter and its spears?) into essentially becoming (probably without any real awareness) an agent of the Others.

I don't think Euron is an agent of the others and I don't think hes Bloodravens puppet. but I think brynden intended for euron to be his succesor until he realised what a Fiend in humanskin he actually is. but also think Euron is responsible for rmpage of the Others.

1 minute ago, toffeejay said:

According to BryndenBFish tweet its Harlon (the oldest), Balon and Robin (the youngest).

Seems a little fishy though, there were 3 older brothers from a first marriage who all died in infantancy, then the second Marriage gave Balon, Euron, Victarion, Urrigon, Aeron and finally Robin in the final marriage. 
Seems unlikely that Euron would have been either born or old enough to dispatch any of the original three? At best he would have been born when Maron was about 8 or 9.

and here's the evindece that he intended/S Vic to blow dragonbinder.

23 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

It was never about Theon winning the Kingsmot though, at least insofar as I could tell. It was about invalidating the outcome because there was a potential claimant missing. That then allows Asha a second pop, which works best if Euron has suffered some major defeat

8 minutes ago, toffeejay said:

Seems unlikely that Euron would have been either born or old enough to dispatch any of the original three? At best he would have been born when Haron was about 8 or 9.

Aeron says he has memories of Harlon so it sounds legit.

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It was never about Theon winning the Kingsmot though, at least insofar as I could tell. It was about invalidating the outcome because there was a potential claimant missing. That then allows Asha a second pop, which works best if Euron has suffered some major defeat

I don't think Asha can get a second pop. She's already been rejected once, and is bound by the results. But it may open up chances for anyone who didn't put themselves forth at the first moot, namely Rodrik the Reader or Tris Botley.

Good writeup on Reddit.  Most interesting detail for me is this:

Visions include Euron on the Iron Throne with a ?tall? bride by his side and dwarfs at their feet. Euron has the face of a kraken.

That's some really blatant foreshadowing right there.  Dany's not tall, so I don't think she's the bride though.  I can't think of any female candidate for Queen described as tall actually.  Is Cersei ever described as tall?  Cersei and Euron, what a powerful villain couple they would make.  A man can dream....  

I really wish I had the actual text to get at all this obvious foreshadowing :mellow:

Edited by Ser Wun Wun