[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

10 minutes ago, ServantOnIce said:

So the one thing that gives me hope for Captain Vic Greyjoy is that Euron in all his wisdom doesn't know about Moqorro and how Moqorro has deciphered the Dragon Horn.  Euron already had worked a spell so that Vic would blow it and die, while Euron controlled the dragons. Not anymore . ...   Vic is going to change the game. 

It's tricky to know how things will pan out. The dusky woman knows about Moqorro which isn't good for Vic. I would guess Euron is going to come out on top of that conflict.

37 minutes ago, Hos the Hostage said:
  • 'What are the horn's real powers? It was called Dragonbinder, but the visions suggest that it will call Dragons, Krakens and Sphinxes. I will believe the Kraken bit, because there were Kraken sightings reported by Varys/Qyburn/others. Is there is a connection between Alleras the Sphinx, Euron, and Marwin the maege

I was actually thinking this is not to be taken at face vaue.

Personally, I lean more towards a more metaphorical representation. It is the horn that binds to Euron the power of House Greyjoy (the Krakens) at the Kingsmooot. He may use it to bind Dany to whatever it is that he's planning (dragons). I am not sure about the sphinx yet. But given that he is headed towards Oldtown, could it be that our Dorninsh sphinx there is involved somehow as you mention? The only other mention of  sphinx I can recall is "The Sphinx is the riddle not the riddler"

But still, what an incredible chapter as a whole! 

One thing that caught my atttention is the I couldn't find a reference to the Old Gods in the description of the throne and other religions as a whole (I understand, this could be because of the transcript).  I am trying to think of this as a positive thing.

The seven hung around him, the goat, the pale child Bakkalon (thanks /u/tjtjjtjt), the butterfly god, the red god. And the drowned god, with crabs, and sea water dripping from his hair.

Edited by -Winterfellian-

22 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Rhaegar, Rhaego and the Mad king get capped with child of death 

Stannis, Aegon and the stone beast get capped with Slayer of Lies

Drogo, Euron and Jon get capped with bride of fire 

But Euron is short one eye. If you want to include a Greyjoy, it would have to be Victarion that is heading there with a much needed fleet and Dragonbinder. And the bride theme seems to be missing Hizdahr.

1 minute ago, -Winterfellian- said:

Personally, I lean more towards a more metaphorical representation. Is the horn that binds to Euron the power of House Greyjoy (the Krakens) at the Kingsmooot. He may use it to bind Dany to whatever it is that he's planning (dragons). I am not sure about the sphinx yet. But given that he is headed towards Oldtown, could it be that our Dorninsh sphinx there is involved somehow? The only other mention of  sphinx I can recall is "The Sphinx is the riddle not the riddler"

One thing that caught my atttention is the I couldn't find a reference to the Old Gods in the description of the throne and other religions as a whole (I understand, this could be because of the transcript).  I am trying to think of this as a positive thing.

Well, they do not have priests. He probably thought that the Old Gods are powerless. If many of our theories are wrong (about Euron being a greenseer and Blodoraven's runaway disciple), he would have no idea about the power of Old Gods. His knowledge comes from his travels. Unless he went North of the Wall, or he met the Ghost of the High Heart, he would not know about greenseers. But can't believe him not taking a trip to God's Eye for the curiosity if for nothing else. Or he is working for the Old Gods. But having no Northern Swords in the Iron Throne, and no Old Gods in Euron's throne, maybe a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Hos the Hostage said:

Is Euron after immortality? (He is an evil version of Jack Sparrow, after all)

I believe that's where it's leading, think he needs greyscale first to bring it all to a head. Immortality or a second life at least. Like Varamyr tried, he said a life inside of Ghost would be fit for a king, but Euron is intent on taking a leap out of a tower and flying, a second life inside a dragon would be more his style.

11 minutes ago, -Winterfellian- said:

Personally, I lean more towards a more metaphorical representation. It is the horn that binds to Euron the power of House Greyjoy (the Krakens) at the Kingsmooot. He may use it to bind Dany to whatever it is that he's planning (dragons). I am not sure about the sphinx yet. But given that he is headed towards Oldtown, could it be that our Dorninsh sphinx there is involved somehow as you mention? The only other mention of  sphinx I can recall is "The Sphinx is the riddle not the riddler"

Me, too.. but of course, they have no real personification, do they? I mean not from men's POV.

... and as I type, I see Hos has made some points for me, above ...:ph34r:

@Hos The Hostage and Bemused

I realized the Old Gods not having priests account for there no being any priests among the captured ones.  I was mostly thinking about the specific mentions of the Gods. Even the butterfly God gets a shout out, but not even a weirwood tree reference. 

As I say, this could be because of the transcript, but if it is not, I find it very compelling.

Edited by -Winterfellian-

Wow.

Wow.

And wow again.

Also confirming that Euron is set to become a major antagonist in the series. And that he's not out east in disguise (I was certain of that). He's after Oldtown.

Now...

There is a book of dragon lore at Oldtown. What's the betting that that, in fact, is Euron's true target? And that Jaqen (currently disguised as Pate) is there to steal it and get it out of the place before Euron succeeds, because the Faceless people are against Euron because Euron has managed to double-cross them in whatever negotiations took place over Balon's death?

A question I would love to ask GRRM: What, if anything, came of the dragon egg that Euron actually owned - and why did Euron have the horn blown three times? It must surely have been more than just to impress people at the meet. Is there *another* dragon in the world now - and Euron is its master, because it was outside the hall and heard the dragon horn when Euron had it blown inside the hall?

(And why is there so much imagery of a Sea Dragon around - Nagga's bones, Nagga's hall, Sea Dragon Point?)

The question also needs to be asked of whom the horn truly considers its master, and whether Victarion with Moqorro's hints has managed to bind the horn to himself - or whether, when the horn is blown, whatever dragon it controls will be bound to Euron.

Either way... if my theory about the dragon egg is true, then Euron has his insurance against Victarion managing to successfully betray him. Twice over, if Victarion has not broken Euron's binding of the horn... although Moqorro may be a wildcard in that situation, and result in Victarion being able to at least fight against Euron for a time.

Another thing: Without Aeron to rouse the rabble, there can be no second kingsmoot. Theon would never have stood a chance at one anyway: so this means Theon can never be king of the Iron Isles. He cannot live as a king: so the only point in his technical ability to claim that he was not present to make his claim at the first Moot, the fact that he has an unresolved claim that has never been rejected - and that it is in the North, through Asha talking to Stannis, that this is known - is so that he can *die* as one. Specifically, I suspect, as one of the "two kings to raise the dragon" that Melisandre points out...

This is a great chapter. I wish it was in ADWD's though. It seems perfectly set up as well, from the ending of the Tyrion chapter in which Moqorro tells Tyrion, Dany's greatest enemy is " A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood".

46 minutes ago, Tucu said:

But Euron is short one eye. If you want to include a Greyjoy, it would have to be Victarion that is heading there with a much needed fleet and Dragonbinder. And the bride theme seems to be missing Hizdahr.

Euron has two eyes actually. He has a heterochromia. A blue and black eye

the bride of fire prophecy only shows us who is going to be Dany's important husbands not just husbands 

Edited by Lord_Ravenstone

• Accompanied by a long, tall terrible shadow of a woman with hands of white fire, standing next to him

It doesn't have to be a literal woman. It could just be a representation of something else, such as the Others, a faction, the magic itself, or even a dragon (although I guess Dany's dragons are all male)...

42 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Awww, is that the name of the chapter......The Forsaken?  

Now I feel even worse for Aeron.  I ALMOST feel guilty for all my groaning over his chapters, HA 

I never cared for him but OMG!!! 

May Drogon burn Euron straight hell. 

3 minutes ago, JLE said:

Valyrian steel armor might be the one thing that can stop a dragonfire blast... it'll certainly stop anything else.

Are you sure? I mean, Targs aren't immune to fire, so i don't think Valyrian steel armor won't be any different.

2 hours ago, ServantOnIce said:

So the one thing that gives me hope for Captain Vic Greyjoy is that Euron in all his wisdom doesn't know about Moqorro and how Moqorro has deciphered the Dragon Horn.  Euron already had worked a spell so that Vic would blow it and die, while Euron controlled the dragons. Not anymore . ...   Vic is going to change the game. 

Nah. Vic is dumb as a stump and he's bound to die like one.

I'm very sure Euron now knows judging by how many priests he seize for magic to control. He could used magic to keep track on Vic.

56 minutes ago, sifth said:

This is a great chapter. I wish it was in ADWD's though. It seems perfectly set up as well, from the ending of the Tyrion chapter in which Moqorro tells Tyrion, Dany's greatest enemy is " A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood".

Same. In fact, i think this chapter could have been used for the finale of ADWD just for cliffhanger and reveal the biggest antagonist of the series.

Just now, Lord_Ravenstone said:

There's a difference between a human being and magic armor 

Is there any evidence that Valryian steel armor is immune to dragon flame?