[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

5 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Quite the opposite actually. Theon's not getting the isles. 

He'll be no match for Euron. 

“Aeron, my good and faithful servant, you must tell the Ironborn that the Crow’s Eye is no true king. That the Seastone Chair by rights belongs to…to…to…”

Not Victarion. Victarion had offered himself up to the captains and they had spurned him. Not Asha. In his heart, Aeron had always loved her best of all his brother Balon’s children. The Drowned God had blessed her with the warrior spirit, but he had cursed her with a woman’s body, too.

that leaves, theon. aeron doesn´t think of him, because theon is dead as far as he knows..

whose name means Godly. and only a Godly man may sit the seastone chair. he also has the legal precedent to overthrow Eurons kingsmoot..

sure Euron seems invincible right now.. but i doubt he will win in the end. his quest is folly.

Edited by LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse

2 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

To be honest imo, Aeron's chapter should have been the final in ADWD just for cliffhanger and establishment of Euron's storyline. It seems like Aeron has meet his death match in the chapter and it would kinda be a waste to just move his to Winds, and then get kill off.

I actually feel like AFFC's epilogue should've been this chapter. 

Then you'd have the epilogues for AFFC and ADWD hyping Euron and Aegon up 

11 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

that leaves, theon. aeron doesn´t think of him, because theon is dead as far as he knows..

whose name means Godly. and only a Godly man may sit the seastone chair. he also has the legal precedent to overthrow Eurons kingsmoot..

sure Euron seems invincible right now.. but i doubt he will win in the end. his quest is folly.

There's Aeron himself if he survives 

i just really doubt that the ironborn would ever follow Theon 

he's a broken emaciated eunuch 

Edited by Lord_Ravenstone

17 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

Irrespective of to whom the throne belongs, this is a  great observation!

Edited by Hos the Hostage

The one thing I dislike about this chapter is that it shows Euron as a fully dark character. And GRRM seldom presents his characters as such, there is no bad or good, no wrong or right everything is based on which POV you are seeing the history from.

But as it looks, there is nothing of good coming from Euron's actions, not for anyone else but himself.

16 minutes ago, a bastard with a harp said:

The one thing I dislike about this chapter is that it shows Euron as a fully dark character. And GRRM seldom presents his characters as such, there is no bad or good, no wrong or right everything is based on which POV you are seeing the history from.

But as it looks, there is nothing of good coming from Euron's actions, not for anyone else but himself.

Joffrey 

ramsay 

the Mountain 

vargo hoat 

every bloody mummer 

Cersei 

Joffrey and Ramsay actions both benefit their houses. Cersei does everything in favor of her children and The Moutain, Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers are not big players of the game like Euron is now.

But I do see your point and understand that some characters are darker than others. But Euron, IMO, is the one fully dark as of now.

On 29/05/2016 at 5:16 AM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

This chapter is a doozy.

Link at https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4lltk4/spoilers_everything_via_bryndenbfish_grrm_has/

Highlights:

Euron is in Shields, sails out to sea, DAMPHAIR is his captive at bottom of Silence. Some really messed up stuff.

• Aeron is covered in lice and fleas

• Another mute in the service of Euron

• "Your place is where I want you" - Euron to Damphair

• Euron licked Aeron's spit after Aeron spit at him

• Lots of talk about the various gods

• Aeron loved Asha most of all of Balon's children

• Aeron thinks about Asha marrying Victarion to consolidate power

• Falia Flowers appears & says she is to be one of Euron's salt wives. She says she is Euron's 'love' & thus safe

• Aeron just learned that Victarion is on his way to Dany

• Falia Flowers says her and Daenerys will be "as close as sisters"

• Fuuuuck further confirmation Euron was a molester. Asks Aeron if he was praying to be chosen or be passed by

• Aeron calls Euron a "demon in human skin"

• Lots of religious figures there, including Red Priest and some warlocks from Qarth, one saying Pree repeatedly

• Euron wearing iron crown with shark teeth on it

• Euron doesn't care about keeping the Shield Islands, that's for the new lords to deal with

• Euron forcing Aeron to drink shade-of-the-evening again

• Damn good visions to analyze in this chapter

• Lucas Codd sitting in a place of honor

• "Words are wind, but blood is power" - Lucas Codd

• Euron's got some fancy new armor with runes and glyphs...Aeron says it's made of Valyrian steel!

• Euron had Falia Flowers tied to the prow with Aeron

Additional info

• Oh, Pyat Pree was a captive of Euron that kept saying "Pree, Pree", he had no legs.

• Euron sacked the Arbor( I think). Redwynes are coming west against Euron, Leyton is sending ships against Euron down the Mander

• Oh and uh, Euron admitted to killing 3 of his brothers, including Balon.

• One last memory: DAMPHAIR was captured immediately after talking with Victarion about raising the isles against Euron. Minutes it seemed.

• Euron impregnated bastard daughter of Shield Lord. She thinks she'll be his salt wife, but ends up with her tongue cut, lashed to ship

• Aeron tells her something like, "Take heart, girl. We'll all be feasting in the Drowned God's hall soon."

sounds like a hell of a chapter. I hope there are plenty more like it. 

Euron is officially the worst brother ever: killing three brothers and sexually abusing two. 

I agree with the theory that the dwarves fighting and making love refer to the claimants for the IT fighting and making alliances such as the case with Arianne and Aegon which does involve actual copulation. 

The warlock shouting "Pree" pretty much confirms that Pyat Pree's party was the group Euron captured. I also agree with Lord Varys that Euron got the armor from the warlocks as his response to the Reader's inquiries suggests he is full of shit. 

Poor Falia, her CInderella story apparently doesn't have a happy ending. It just demonstrates that Euron isn't loyal to anyone. 

As to Ran's assertion about Euron being a dreamer or greenseer, I think the throne of skulls might suggest that given we see plenty of skulls on the walls in the CotF cave, and Melisandre sees skulls about Jon when we know BranRaven is going to help him. The woman with him possibly being the Others' leader brings to mind the Queen of the Norns from MS&T who rules from a mountain in a cold land far North. 

As for the Shields, he made sure he gave them to rivals and supporters of rivals, so his rivals are weakened if they lose them. 

Edited by Fire Eater

51 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I actually feel like AFFC's epilogue should've been this chapter. 

Then you'd have the epilogues for AFFC and ADWD hyping Euron and Aegon up 

Unless if Aeron didn't die in this chapter, then yes this definitely would have been a great epilogue for Feast.

26 minutes ago, a bastard with a harp said:

I take a different view, to me Euron is not just a simple villain. He is just a boy who dreamt of flying. But unlike everyone else, when they told him it was impossible, that he was mad, evil even, he refused to listen, refused to give up on his dream. Instead Euron set forth against immeasurable odds with courage, determination and an unflinching belief in himself. He journeyed to the edge of the world and back again to find the means of defying the cruel gods who thrust gravity upon him. And now, he is only one amethyst eyed bimbo's stupid decision away from achieving his dream. His story is one of belief, sacrifice, defying nonsensical superstitions, finding forgiveness from one's own kind, blood sacrifice, uniting people, more sacrifice, and most of all a lesson to always follow your dreams.

Honestly reading this chapter has made me really like Aeron Damphair.  I mean the guy suffered a lot, abused by Euron as a child, spent a long time in Casterly Rock as a prisoner, but still pretty much a decent guy.  He serves his god, didn't harm any one. And really from his internal thoughts bore no one ill will other than his intense hatred of Euron  which is completely justified.

You can call him a misogynst but he's just a product of his culture, he doesn't seem to hate any specific woman, he even appreciates Asha's qualities and wants her to rule together with Victarion.  He also is a lot kinder to the Flowers girl than I expected, first he tries to warn her than Euron will hurt her in a way that made me thing he cared about her and didn't want to see Euron hurt her. Then even when they are tied to the ship he bore her no ill will, instead even tries to comfort her and gave her courage, telling her hang in there and that they will soon be in the watery halls.

5 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

I take a different view, to me Euron is not just a simple villain. He is just a boy who dreamt of flying. But unlike everyone else, when they told him it was impossible, that he was mad, evil even, he refused to listen, refused to give up on his dream. Instead Euron set forth against immeasurable odds with courage, determination and an unflinching belief in himself. He journeyed to the edge of the world and back again to find the means of defying the cruel gods who thrust gravity upon him. And now, he is only one amethyst eyed bimbo's stupid decision away from achieving his dream. His story is one of belief, sacrifice, defying nonsensical superstitions, finding forgiveness from one's own kind, blood sacrifice, uniting people, more sacrifice, and most of all a lesson to always follow your dreams.

a story worthy of a Disney movie.

:grouphug:

11 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Honestly reading this chapter has made me really like Aeron Damphair.  I mean the guy suffered a lot, abused by Euron as a child, spent a long time in Casterly Rock as a prisoner, but still pretty much a decent guy.  He serves his god, didn't harm any one. And really from his internal thoughts bore no one ill will other than his intense hatred of Euron  which is completely justified.

You can call him a misogynst but he's just a product of his culture, he doesn't seem to hate any specific woman, he even appreciates Asha's qualities and wants her to rule together with Victarion.  He also is a lot kinder to the Flowers girl than I expected, first he tries to warn her than Euron will hurt her in a way that made me thing he cared about her and didn't want to see Euron hurt her. Then even when they are tied to the ship he bore her no ill will, instead even tries to comfort her and gave her courage, telling her hang in there and that they will soon be in the watery halls.

I liked Aeron from his previous chapters. I never got the intense hatred for him.

15 minutes ago, bent branch said:

I liked Aeron from his previous chapters. I never got the intense hatred for him.

Given his dialogue, the exploration of his religion, his hatred for Euron and plotting against him, and trying to steer the succession to Balon's throne, and how explosive his chapters are... neither did I.

1 hour ago, a bastard with a harp said:

My thoughts exactly. GRRM has said that he never likes to write black and white characters. However, we have a couple of characters that are completely evil. Joffery and Ramsey are cases in point.

If they are completely evil it is only because they are psychpaths, thus, insane. So Euron may also be one of these psychopaths.

Nonsense. Martin has written plenty of dark, evil characters. This fable of him only writing grey characters really needs to be put to bed.

The Tickler

The Mountain

Ramsay Bolton

The Lord of Bones

Qyburn

Vargo Hoat

Shagwell

The Slavers of Meereen, Yunkai and Astapor

The friggin entire Dothraki nation - an entire culture of pure evil

The list goes on and on

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

This insistence that George R. R. Martin only writes grey characters seems to be born out of the misconception that a totally evil, irredeemable character cannot have depth... not true as a general rule and not true within the series itself, as the likes of Roose and Ramsay (taken as a set) have depth, as well as a horrible creature like Tywin. I recall Free Northmen Reborn's hatred of an evil man (in broad strokes) like Walter White, yet he's not a flat, hollow character.

Edited by Red Helm