[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

26 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

i think there is about 0 probablyt of that happening.

Really? Because I'd put it at 90 % chance of him being beheaded 

Bran seems to want it to happen, it's thematically appropriate and the show had it so Theon was at the kingsmoot and failed 

Hell show Theon wants Asha to be queen 

1 hour ago, draft0 said:

A lot of the details changed since 1993. The three major plot acts have not.

Stannis and Renly are side characters, just like Euron. None of them are really that important.

It's possible Euron is connected with the Other storyline, I suppose. I just think it makes more sense for him to be an antagonist for Dany. I mean, he's currently trying to marry her, steal her dragons, and take over her kingdom. This antagonist role fits perfectly with the prophecies in the House of the Undying and it also fits with GRRM's leaked outline.

Jaime was in the outline but after AGOT Stannis is the more plot relevant character 

something to think about: 

If you’re still skeptical about Euron as the new Night’s King, even after the evidence that he’s Bloodraven’s bad seed, his icy-cold dick in Dany’s dream, his terrifying pale bride in Damphair’s vision, “all of Westeros is dying,” and Sam bringing the Horn of Joramun into a city Euron is invading, let me ask ya this. 

How does the Night’s Watch signal the arrival of the Others? Three horn blasts.

And how does Euron signal his arrival the kingsmoot? Three horn blasts.

Winter is coming. 

I enjoyed very much the chapter. It really delivered very good insights and foreshadowing.

It is sad we didn't get this sample in AFFC or ADWD, this chapter would be a very good way to finish the Iron Islands arc in this book. It would end as a cliffhanger, but it would be much more satisfactory than end an arc without any climax. The editorial decision in cut this and other chapters in Dance really harmed this book.

I liked this one more than the Arianne samples, but I don't blame the folks in the Cons that choose her instead of Aeron. Aeron is  annoying and we didn't had a good perspective of what Aeron would do. Trystifer Botley said he was in the Iron Islands making a cup against Euron and it did not seem to promising.. Arianne is more interesting and the coming of Aegon gave us a good expectation.

- I find Aeron  pain in the ass, but I liked the sample and even sympathized with him.

-  We found Euron is a killer, rapist, pedophile, kinslayer. He is the pinnacle of the evil, the zenith of the badness, The "Supra Sumo" of the wrongdoing.

- I have mixed feelings about Fallia Flowes, for one side I could not help, but laugh of her naivety when she though she and Daenerys would be like sisters and have schadenfreude mixed with pity when she lose the tongue.

- I really liked the imagery. The Iron crown with shark teeth, the black Valyrian steel armor.

- The visions are interesting and I don't agree totally with the interpretation of many people here. I think may be Euron will not gain the Iron Throne. The prophecies we have the vision of a Euron with kraken's face sit in the Iron Throne, with a woman with white fire in her hands, gods impaled in the throne's blades and two dwarfs, but is the man with kraken's face really Euron? Can this man be Victarion and Aeron interpreted as Euron? Dany drunk the same drink and had the visions, including the corpse with grey lips in the prow. Did Euron had the same vision and tries to make it become reality putting Aeron in the prow? It would be like Melisandre giving "Lightbringer" to Stannis. 

Man, this and the Theon chapter should've been included in the current books, they're much better cliffhangers.

Excited to see Euron wage his magic war. Stannis and Melisandre were like a taste of what someone could do with magic on their side, and now you've got a man with zero moral compunctions wielding anything he can get his hands on.

34 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Really? Because I'd put it at 90 % chance of him being beheaded 

Bran seems to want it to happen, it's thematically appropriate and the show had it so Theon was at the kingsmoot and failed 

Hell show Theon wants Asha to be queen 

NO SHOW HERE! /O/ But if you want, remember that Theon actually returned to the Iron Islands. I'm sure Theon will also. In the books, IICR, Asha is looking to void the Kingsmoot. Considering that Theon is Balon's only son, I think she has a chance to do so. There wouldn't be a need for a Kingsmoot if the real "heir" shows up. 

1 hour ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Jaime was in the outline but after AGOT Stannis is the more plot relevant character 

something to think about: 

If you’re still skeptical about Euron as the new Night’s King, even after the evidence that he’s Bloodraven’s bad seed, his icy-cold dick in Dany’s dream, his terrifying pale bride in Damphair’s vision, “all of Westeros is dying,” and Sam bringing the Horn of Joramun into a city Euron is invading, let me ask ya this. 

How does the Night’s Watch signal the arrival of the Others? Three horn blasts.

And how does Euron signal his arrival the kingsmoot? Three horn blasts.

Winter is coming. 

That all seems a little indirect.

If Euron is the Night's King, why is he down in the Reach, instead of up in the North? There is no direct plot connection here. There's lots of hypothetical ways to bring down the Wall besides the Horn of Joramun, the existence of which has yet to be proven.

The Others are the final boss. I think that's beyond dispute. But is there is a Night's King leading them? Who knows?

2 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

NO SHOW HERE! /O/ But if you want, remember that Theon actually returned to the Iron Islands. I'm sure Theon will also. In the books, IICR, Asha is looking to void the Kingsmoot. Considering that Theon is Balon's only son, I think she has a chance to do so. There wouldn't be a need for a Kingsmoot if the real "heir" shows up. 

Kingsmoot doesn't matter anymore.

The only way to actually beat Euron is to kill him not vote him off the island lol

1 hour ago, draft0 said:

That all seems a little indirect.

If Euron is the Night's King, why is he down in the Reach, instead of up in the North? There is no direct plot connection here. There's lots of hypothetical ways to bring down the Wall besides the Horn of Joramun, the existence of which has yet to be proven.

The Others are the final boss. I think that's beyond dispute. But is there is a Night's King leading them? Who knows?

Any other hypothetical way would be fan wank because the horn is the only way we've been introduced in the past 5 books. Anything else would seem like an ass pull

the Others aren't really a human enemy unlike Euron.

3 hours ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

I enjoyed very much the chapter. It really delivered very good insights and foreshadowing.

It is sad we didn't get this sample in AFFC or ADWD, this chapter would be a very good way to finish the Iron Islands arc in this book. It would end as a cliffhanger, but it would be much more satisfactory than end an arc without any climax. The editorial decision in cut this and other chapters in Dance really harmed this book.

I liked this one more than the Arianne samples, but I don't blame the folks in the Cons that choose her instead of Aeron. Aeron is  annoying and we didn't had a good perspective of what Aeron would do. Trystifer Botley said he was in the Iron Islands making a cup against Euron and it did not seem to promising.. Arianne is more interesting and the coming of Aegon gave us a good expectation.

- I find Aeron  pain in the ass, but I liked the sample and even sympathized with him.

-  We found Euron is a killer, rapist, pedophile, kinslayer. He is the pinnacle of the evil, the zenith of the badness, The "Supra Sumo" of the wrongdoing.

- I have mixed feelings about Fallia Flowes, for one side I could not help, but laugh of her naivety when she though she and Daenerys would be like sisters and have schadenfreude mixed with pity when she lose the tongue.

- I really liked the imagery. The Iron crown with shark teeth, the black Valyrian steel armor.

- The visions are interesting and I don't agree totally with the interpretation of many people here. I think may be Euron will not gain the Iron Throne. The prophecies we have the vision of a Euron with kraken's face sit in the Iron Throne, with a woman with white fire in her hands, gods impaled in the throne's blades and two dwarfs, but is the man with kraken's face really Euron? Can this man be Victarion and Aeron interpreted as Euron? Dany drunk the same drink and had the visions, including the corpse with grey lips in the prow. Did Euron had the same vision and tries to make it become reality putting Aeron in the prow? It would be like Melisandre giving "Lightbringer" to Stannis. 

Victarion isn't going to sit the iron throne. 

The man with a mass of tentacles for a face, I think is a signal that Euron is trying to become some Eldricht abomination using the magic ritual on the Redwyne fleet 

I do t think you really need to link Euron with Bloodraven or the Others for him to make sense - he's just a half-mad psycho with some latent talent for magic that drank a bit too much shade of the evening, which we know to bring visions to those with the aptitude.

6 minutes ago, Maid So Fair said:

I do t think you really need to link Euron with Bloodraven or the Others for him to make sense - he's just a half-mad psycho with some latent talent for magic that drank a bit too much shade of the evening, which we know to bring visions to those with the aptitude.

I don't think his narrative purpose is a giant red herring, particularly given the pervasivesness of the Greyjoys in almost every plot-line in the books, sort of like extending tentacles.

18 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

I don't think his narrative purpose is a giant red herring, particularly given the pervasivesness of the Greyjoys in almost every plot-line in the books, sort of like extending tentacles.

To boil him down to a plot device, I think his role is to decimate Westeros before the Long Night, put the realm in such a state that victory seems impossible.

But even then, so long as Dany lives and has Drogon victory over the Others seems pretty much assured. I mean that's how this ends right? He's made the baddies ice zombie and given the goodies fire breathing dragons. It's not by any accident, his design must be that readers are imagining, expecting, that the heroes will ride the dragons against the Others to glorious victory. He even gives us a taste of it in some of Dany's dreams.

And that's what I think Euron is really for, to destroy this expectation. Euron is going to ruin Drogon, he's going to make Drogon unusable to Dany as a weapon against the Others.

38 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

I don't think he's necessarily a red herring - just that I don't think his powers and attitude are a mystery or require any further explanation on top of what we've been given. I'm happy rob takeEuron at face value for now.

ETA: Or maybe I'm just sick of the Bloodraven controls everything and everyone theories. iDK

Edited by Maid So Fair

11 hours ago, DrunkSister said:

<snip>

Kudos for picking up those biblical references. I ain't too au fait with the good book myself, but I suppose there are also echoes of Cain and Abel in Euron killing his brothers, and of Job in Aeron's suffering and temptations.

My frame of reference is considerably more vulgar, but Euron reminds me of a few great villains - the Joker, sure, but also Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men and the sheriff from Pop. 1280, both of whom seem to have moved beyond ordinary human considerations of right and wrong. The sheriff - spoiler alert! - even literally comes to see himself as the second coming of Christ, and Chigurh at least sees himself as an avatar of fate, or the judgment of the universe.

With that in mind, I don't consider Euron's war on the gods to be proof of atheism; and when he claims to be a god, he's not just taunting Aeron. I think that reveals something about how he sees the world, and his place in it. Maybe he doesn't literally consider himself a god, but he certainly seems to think himself profoundly superior to the rest of humanity. He's nek-levellin' it.