Free Northman Reborn

[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

Dwarves capered for their amusement, male and female, naked and misshapen, locked in carnal embrace, biting and tearing at each other as Euron and his mate laughed and laughed and laughed … If I'm not mistaken, this was a piece of the vision Dany had 

On 5/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, LadyBlackwater said:

Dwarves capered for their amusement, male and female, naked and misshapen, locked in carnal embrace, biting and tearing at each other as Euron and his mate laughed and laughed and laughed … If I'm not mistaken, this was a piece of the vision Dany had 

Some similarities, but not the same. 

48 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Some similarities, but not the same. 

True, really only that there were nefarious dwarves in both. I just find it interesting that both happened within reach of pyatt Pree. 

3 hours ago, LadyBlackwater said:

True, really only that there were nefarious dwarves in both. I just find it interesting that both happened within reach of pyatt Pree. 

Or perhaps it is the shade of the evening?

8 hours ago, Ygrain said:

Or perhaps it is the shade of the evening?

Oh it definitely is. But does everyone have similar visions? Or are the dwarves a guaranteed part? I know this is a stretch, I’m reallj just curious:)

On 5/2/2019 at 8:21 AM, LordImp said:

Does anyone think Euron might be the final villain? Like how Sarumann had to be dealt with after Sauron , Euron has to be dealt with after the Others. 

He will be the final human villain offering Dany a chance to rule a New Valyria with him. Euron will almost certainly knock down the wall with the horn of winter.

On a different note, doesn't the Valyrian steel armor that is described as black resemble the armor Jon dreams about at one point? If I remember correctly the dream took place at the wall and Jon was wearing pitch black armor and wielding a red shining sword, striking down wights down the wall.

If the dream is sort of a prophecy then it means that either, Jon receives the armor from Euron (or it gets stolen) or Euron dies before the Others become a big topic, degrading him to a low-level villain. 

Posted (edited)

Aeron Greyjoy is going to second life a leviathan. The possibility and history of second lifing a leviathan (whale) is what the Drowned God is based on. Aeron is becoming the Drowned God.

Aeron's description at the beginning of the chapter.

The mutes had robbed him of his of robe and shoes and breechclout. He wore hair and chains and scabs. Saltwater sloshed about his legs whenever the tide came in, rising as high as his genitals only to ebb again when the tide receded. His feet had grown huge and soft and puffy, shapeless things as big as hams.

Later Euron's description of the drowned god.

“Will you do the same, brother?” Euron asked. “I think not. I think if I drowned you, you’ll stay drowned. All gods are lies, but yours is laughable. A pale white thing in the likeness of a man, his limbs broken and swollen and his hair flipping in the water while fish nibble at his face. What fool would worship that?”

Note the similarities. The drowned god's physical description is that of a cross between a man and leviathan. The Drowned God's watery halls is a nod to the innards of a whale literally seeming like a great hall.

With everyone being so focussed on Euron the real crux of this chapter is being missed. It is the most meaningful of Aeron's story, it actually reveals his story whereas before he could almost have been dismissed as simply a convenient POV to relay events.

Aeron's story is a question of faith. This chapter is a trial of Aeron's faith. 

A weaker man might have wept, but Aeron Damphair prayed, waking, sleeping, even in his fever-dreams he prayed. My god is testing me. I must be strong, I must be true.

. . .

Aeron Damphair hardly heard her. Victarion is gone, half a world away or dead.Surely the Drowned God was testing him. This was a lesson for him. Put not your trust in men. Only my faith can save me now.

The very name of the chapter is a taunt, telling Aeron his faith is misplaced, misguided, wrong.

And a few days later, as her hull shuddered in the grip of some storm, the Crow’s Eye came below again, lantern in hand. This time his other hand held a dagger. “Still praying, priest? Your god has forsaken you.”

This leads us, the reader, to the simple question of if Euron or Aeron is right. Will nothing come of Aeron's faith?

What specifically is going to happen is in the text.

“That which is dead cannot die,” said Aeron fiercely. “For he who has tasted death once need never fear again. He was drowned, but he came forth stronger than before, with steel and fire.”

“Will you do the same, brother?” Euron asked. “I think not. I think if I drowned you, you’ll stay drowned. All gods are lies, but yours is laughable.

Aeron is going to drown. The question is will he stay drowned?

“Falia Flowers,” he called. “Have courage, girl! All this will be over soon, and we will feast together in the Drowned God’s watery halls.”

The girl raised up her head, but made no answer. She has no tongue to answer with,the Damphair knew. He licked his lips, and tasted salt.

And the ending of the chapter is the answer.

Aeron will drown and will begin a second life (with Falia) in a leviathan - the Drowned God's water halls. The Drowned God will set him free.

Perhaps that was the name of the demon that he worships. The Drowned God protects me, the priest told himself. He is stronger than the false gods these other worship, stronger than their black sorceries. The Drowned God will set me free.

The belly of the beast where it is always midnight.

It was always midnight in the belly of the beast.

What is dead may never die.

When they pulled him up the steps through the light, he felt its warmth upon his face, and tears rolled down his cheeks. The sea. I can smell the sea. The Drowned God has not abandoned me. The sea will make me whole again! That which is dead can never die, but rises again harder and stronger …

The Drowned God will answer his prayers.

I have been your true and leal servant, he prayed, twisting in his chains. Now snatch me from my brother’s hand, and take me down beneath the waves, to be seated at your side.

It is nothing the Drowned God has not already done for him before.

Not since the Drowned God had blessed him with a second life had Aeron Damphair ventured so far from the Iron Islands.

He is not forsaken, the chapter title is ironic. His faith and god will prove true and see him through. And when he does second life a leviathan, basically becoming the drowned god, he will be set to meet Euron again and make good on all his threats and promises and all the foreshadowing.

“Euron’s blasphemies will bring down the Drowned God’s wrath upon us all,” he warned.

But Victarion insisted stubbornly that the god had raised their brother up and that god must cast him down.

“He’s your god as well,” insisted the Damphair. “And when you die, he will judge you harshly, Crow’s Eye. You will spend eternity as a sea slug, crawling on your belly eating shit.

An epic showdown is brewing, Aeron the Drowned God leviathan vs Euron the new god Kraken.

"A wolf is not a kraken," Victarion objected. "What the kraken grasps it does not lose, be it longship or leviathan."

Behind the dais a kraken and grey leviathan were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

Second lifing as a concept is being brought to the fore in steps. It began with simple skin changing, then in ADWD a peripheral character second lifes a mundane wolf. Aeron second lifing a leviathan will be the next step as the series heads towards the big reveal, that Targs/Valyrians second lifed dragons.

Edited by chrisdaw

On 8/14/2019 at 12:32 AM, chrisdaw said:

Aeron Greyjoy is going to second life a leviathan. The possibility and history of second lifing a leviathan (whale) is what the Drowned God is based on. Aeron is becoming the Drowned God.

Aeron's description at the beginning of the chapter.

Later Euron's description of the drowned god.

Note the similarities. The drowned god's physical description is that of a cross between a man and leviathan. The Drowned God's watery halls is a nod to the innards of a whale literally seeming like a great hall.

With everyone being so focussed on Euron the real crux of this chapter is being missed. It is the most meaningful of Aeron's story, it actually reveals his story whereas before he could almost have been dismissed as simply a convenient POV to relay events.

Aeron's story is a question of faith. This chapter is a trial of Aeron's faith. 

The very name of the chapter is a taunt, telling Aeron his faith is misplaced, misguided, wrong.

This leads us, the reader, to the simple question of if Euron or Aeron is right. Will nothing come of Aeron's faith?

What specifically is going to happen is in the text.

Aeron is going to drown. The question is will he stay drowned?

And the ending of the chapter is the answer.

Aeron will drown and will begin a second life (with Falia) in a leviathan - the Drowned God's water halls. The Drowned God will set him free.

The belly of the beast where it is always midnight.

What is dead may never die.

The Drowned God will answer his prayers.

It is nothing the Drowned God has not already done for him before.

He is not forsaken, the chapter title is ironic. His faith and god will prove true and see him through. And when he does second life a leviathan, basically becoming the drowned god, he will be set to meet Euron again and make good on all his threats and promises and all the foreshadowing.

An epic showdown is brewing, Aeron the Drowned God leviathan vs Euron the new god Kraken.

Second lifing as a concept is being brought to the fore in steps. It began with simple skin changing, then in ADWD a peripheral character second lifes a mundane wolf. Aeron second lifing a leviathan will be the next step as the series heads towards the big reveal, that Targs/Valyrians second lifed dragons.

I like it!