[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

4 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Then how would you interpret the vision of the Ghost of High Hearth?

To be honest, I totally forgot about that vision.  So, that theory goes out the window.  But my greater point, that Euron is using some kind of blood magic to dominate his thralls own wills, but he isn't actually warging them, stands. 

20 hours ago, Unknownfinger said:

This, but not as much as Act II's (The FeastDance) annoyed those who wanted more focus on "plot" and established favorite characters than on GRRM's musings about origin stories (fAegon), quests (Brienne, Quentyn) setting up Act III by showing the political, social and moral deterioration caused by the War of the Five Kings on Westeros etc. As TWOW is going to put and end to most of the political and military storylines I do think  a section of the fan base will be a bit miffed. I, for one, don't have too much interest in the more science fiction aspects like hiveminds etc but can't wait for the horror story to begin in ernest. Cannot wait! 

Agree. And who cares about those, honestly? A writer can't please everyone.

Edited by The fanny from hell

Next Aeron chapter I reckon will be the battle. Euron will slit Falia's throat and a kraken or krakens will rise to the surface. Then tentacles will slither out of Falia and a lil baby kraken will wretch itself free from the belly of her corpse. Probably to just plop into the ocean, or Euron will grab it. Then Euron will skinchange the kraken or krakens, not that we'll get to see him, but we'll see the krakens start taking down opposing ships.

To go further out there, Aeron, dying or otherwise, might somehow end up skinchanging a leviathian and smash into the Silence, perhaps freeing himself if he's still alive.

I was just looking at the Which Realm/Castle thread over in the World of Ice and Fire sub forum, and realized what this chapter means for the Reach. Garlen will retake everything and Highgarden will be just as safe as anywhere else in the realm (I mean, Euron wants to burn everything, including the Reach), but Garlan and co are fine.

Edited by Whitering

On July 12, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Little Scribe of Naath said:

That's basically what I was saying in my post -  that Euron knows magic, but not the skinchanging/Old Gods type of magic, because we have first-hand seen through Varamyr and Bran's POVs how difficult it is to skinchange a human. I mean, if Euron could do that seamlessly, then he could just warg the dragons.

As to Balon's death, we know that an FM killed Balon for sure because of the Ghost of High Heart's prophecy in ASOS - 

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

But the rest I don't think anyone would disagree with - the man surely has learnt very dark, arcane magic from wherever he supposedly travelled to. Considering that even the Faceless Men don't seem to have asked much of him for the killing of Balon, it is quite possible that he has struck some kind of deal with them.

Nah. Bloodraven contacted Euron for a reason. Only real reason why would be because Euron was an especially powerful warg like Bran and Bloodraven was holding try outs for the protagonist role that Euron eventually failed.

Euron just wouldn't be the fully realized greenseer/warg that Bloodraven is though so he wouldn't be nearly as powerful. Although the warlock wine might have given him a power boost.

Anyways it's very possible that taking over a dragon's mind might be harder than taking over a person's mind. For all we know because it's such a magical creature, dragons come with magical inhibitors for things trying to possess them 

9 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Nah. Bloodraven contacted Euron for a reason. Only real reason why would be because Euron was an especially powerful warg like Bran and Bloodraven was holding try outs for the protagonist role that Euron eventually failed.

Euron just wouldn't be the fully realized greenseer/warg that Bloodraven is though so he wouldn't be nearly as powerful. Although the warlock wine might have given him a power boost.

Anyways it's very possible that taking over a dragon's mind might be harder than taking over a person's mind. For all we know because it's such a magical creature, dragons come with magical inhibitors for things trying to possess them 

See, I agree that it is possible that BR contacted Euron because he recognised his immense magical potential. But it does not look like that their association went any further, because BR now has recruited and is training Bran.

From Bran's arc and ADWD Prologue, we know that just having the potential is not sufficient to become a proficient skinchanger - the person needs to hone their skills, just like any other talent. We also know that the act of skinchanging a human is a very tough task.

If Euron is a skinchanger who is prolific enough to enter a person's mind hundreds of leagues away, then he can surely skinchange a dragon.

This is also, of course, ignoring the logistics of skinchanging. Bran's body is effectively a shell when he is in another skin. Euron however, seems to have been quite active all this while, which is impossible if he was skinchanging the dusky woman the whole time.

More likely, Euron has used some kind of magic to bind the dusky woman to himself and compel her to do his bidding, sort of similar to the Imperius Curse in Harry Potter.

1 hour ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/490176.html?thread=24623296#t24623296

Probably Aeron will stay alive for a while since the Forsaken is not his last chapter.

The cite you provided might support your assertion, but not necessarily. The George did not say there would be another Aeon chapter there. He merely said that the word "the" did not imply that there would be no more Aeron chapters. (Sorry for the double negative.) 

2 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

See, I agree that it is possible that BR contacted Euron because he recognised his immense magical potential. But it does not look like that their association went any further, because BR now has recruited and is training Bran.

From Bran's arc and ADWD Prologue, we know that just having the potential is not sufficient to become a proficient skinchanger - the person needs to hone their skills, just like any other talent. We also know that the act of skinchanging a human is a very tough task.

If Euron is a skinchanger who is prolific enough to enter a person's mind hundreds of leagues away, then he can surely skinchange a dragon.

This is also, of course, ignoring the logistics of skinchanging. Bran's body is effectively a shell when he is in another skin. Euron however, seems to have been quite active all this while, which is impossible if he was skinchanging the dusky woman the whole time.

More likely, Euron has used some kind of magic to bind the dusky woman to himself and compel her to do his bidding, sort of similar to the Imperius Curse in Harry Potter.

As Leaf says, Bran's blood makes him a greenseer same with Euron. I don't think Euron had his potential unlocked until recently when he started drinking the warlock wine same with how the Weirwood sap affects Bran. There are parallels meant to be drawn between the two. Auto is evil Bran Stark.

I don't think Euron has been skinchanging the Dusky women the whole time. Honestly I think he's skinchanging her right before sex. Victarion is noted to talk a lot to her about his plans post coitus.

I don't think skinchanging the dragon would work. The reason is that the Dragons are thousands of miles away. And while maybe he can enter their minds and warg them, he'd have to be warging them 24/7 to get them over to him. And spending too much time in a dragon will turn him more dragon-like. And if he decides to take breaks the dragon will wonder wtf it was doing and go back so it'd end up kinda fruitless.

16 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

As Leaf says, Bran's blood makes him a greenseer same with Euron. I don't think Euron had his potential unlocked until recently when he started drinking the warlock wine same with how the Weirwood sap affects Bran. There are parallels meant to be drawn between the two. Auto is evil Bran Stark.

Yes, Euron is clearly evil Bran, I agree. Wouldn't it make a better parallel then, that Bran succeeded, and is now learning the greenseer magic (and has inadvertently become some kind of Old God) while Euron failed, and to make up for his childhood dream of becoming a God and flying, set off East to learn their famous dark sorcery?

That's just my conjecture, though.

22 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I don't think Euron has been skinchanging the Dusky women the whole time. Honestly I think he's skinchanging her right before sex. Victarion is noted to talk a lot to her about his plans post coitus.

:stillsick: I hope this is not true, but it probably might be :ack:. I still find it unlikely though.

26 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I don't think skinchanging the dragon would work. The reason is that the Dragons are thousands of miles away. And while maybe he can enter their minds and warg them, he'd have to be warging them 24/7 to get them over to him. And spending too much time in a dragon will turn him more dragon-like. And if he decides to take breaks the dragon will wonder wtf it was doing and go back so it'd end up kinda fruitless.

Euron was hanging around in the East for quite a while, and might have definitely heard of Dany and her dragons. He could have Skinchanged them and brought them to Westeros at that time if he wished.

But I think we'll just agree to disagree, I believe if Euron had been skinchanging, GRRM would have dropped a couple of hints by now.

Euron has been set up as Evil Bran so I would say that's one hell of a hint that he can skinchange. It's strongly hinted that Euron was Bloodraven's first choice to fight the Others so I would say that is another big hint that he can skinchange. Euron most likely took all the knowledge he could from Bloodraven before declining to do the whole "save the world thing" and told Bloodraven to piss off. 

I don't think it's the nightshade that's putting Euron into high gear but I do think it was the warlocks confirming, without a doubt, that dragons had returned to the world that got Euron to put his plan in motion. 

• 2 weeks later...

From Arianne I:

"And krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys," said Valena.  "The blood draws them to the surface, our maester claims.  There are bodies in the water.  A few have washed up on our shores.  And that's not half of it.  A new pirate king has set up on Torturer's Deep.  The Lord of the Waters, he styles himself.  This one has real warships, three-deckers, monstrous large.  You were wise not to come by sea.  Since the Redwyne fleet passed through the Stepstones, those waters are crawling with strange sails, all the way north to the Straights of Tarth and Shipbreaker's Bay.  Myrmen, Volantenes, Lyseni, even reavers from the Iron Islands.  Some have entered the Sea of Dorne to land men on the south shore of Cape Wrath.  We found a good fast ship for you, as your father commanded, but even so... be careful."

Are these ships the ones that Aurane Waters stole from Cersei?The mention of is together with krakens and reavers from the Iron Islands. Could Aurane Waters be Euron's ally?

5 hours ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

From Arianne I:

"And krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys," said Valena.  "The blood draws them to the surface, our maester claims.  There are bodies in the water.  A few have washed up on our shores.  And that's not half of it.  A new pirate king has set up on Torturer's Deep.  The Lord of the Waters, he styles himself.  This one has real warships, three-deckers, monstrous large.  You were wise not to come by sea.  Since the Redwyne fleet passed through the Stepstones, those waters are crawling with strange sails, all the way north to the Straights of Tarth and Shipbreaker's Bay.  Myrmen, Volantenes, Lyseni, even reavers from the Iron Islands.  Some have entered the Sea of Dorne to land men on the south shore of Cape Wrath.  We found a good fast ship for you, as your father commanded, but even so... be careful."

Are these ships the ones that Aurane Waters stole from Cersei?The mention of is together with krakens and reavers from the Iron Islands. Could Aurane Waters be Euron's ally?

These ships are most certainly the ships from Cersei. Exactly what is going on with them is hard to say. On the surface it would appear to be Aurane taking up piracy with them in the Stepstones. I think somehow it is actually Saan.

Not sure if this has been brought up:

Euron Crow’s Eye stood upon the deck of Silence, clad in a suit of black scale armor like nothing Aeron had ever seen before. Dark as smoke it was, but Euron wore it as easily as if it was the thinnest silk. The scales were edged in red gold, and gleamed and shimmered when they moved. Patterns could be seen within the metal, whorls and glyphs and arcane symbols folded into the steel.

Valyrian steel, the Damphair knew. His armor is Valyrian steel. In all the Seven Kingdoms, no man owned a suit of Valyrian steel. Such things had been known 400 years ago, in the days before the Doom, but even then, they would’ve cost a kingdom.

Euron did not lie. He has been to Valyria. No wonder he was mad.

I think this pretty much proves that Euron has been to Valyria, if he didn't he has obviously discovered some cache of Valyrian relics, which amounts to pretty much the same thing.

This passage begs the question; can Euron even be defeated in combat? Valyrian steel is both light and unbreakable, it may also magically enhance the skills of the user, so if his armour is valyrian steel it is likely impenetrable, very mobile, and may magically grant him other abilities.

3 hours ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

Not sure if this has been brought up:

I think this pretty much proves that Euron has been to Valyria, if he didn't he has obviously discovered some cache of Valyrian relics, which amounts to pretty much the same thing.

This passage begs the question; can Euron even be defeated in combat? Valyrian steel is both light and unbreakable, it may also magically enhance the skills of the user, so if his armour is valyrian steel it is likely impenetrable, very mobile, and may magically grant him other abilities.

But the app says...

On 7/22/2016 at 1:35 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The Qarth entry:

The warlocks under Pyat Pree attempt to pursue and avenge themselves on Daenerys, but their ship is taken by Euron Greyjoy, who seizes their dragon-binding horn from Valyria and takes them as slaves.

Yes, I think so. If nothing more canon or more recent contradicts it.

And suggests that Euron is lying about having visited Valyria...

"That horn you heard I found amongst the smoking ruins that were Valyria, where no man has dared to walk but me.”

19 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

But the app says...

And suggests that Euron is lying about having visited Valyria...

It's likely that Euron found that armor somewhere else besides Valyria. I doubt it'd be with Pyat Pred though. None of the warlock's are actual warriors. 

Someone came up with a good theory that Euron found the Valyrian steel armor set and the dragon egg at the same place. That being Gogossos

1 hour ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

It's likely that Euron found that armor somewhere else besides Valyria. I doubt it'd be with Pyat Pred though. None of the warlock's are actual warriors. 

Someone came up with a good theory that Euron found the Valyrian steel armor set and the dragon egg at the same place. That being Gogossos

He's a pirate who, presumably, has sailed to the Jade Sea and back. Didn't some Velaryon become incredibly wealthy doing that (without the pirating). 

38 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but how old Euron was exactly when he killed Harlon?

Harlon was Quellon's first son and said to died as a child. But Euron was 4 or 5 years younger than him...

We can't really say. Harlon's birth has been determined to have occured in or between 253 and 258 AC, but the potential window during which Euron was born in much larger (256 to 268 AC). Euron does seem to be closer in age to Balon than Aeron, which would place his birth closer to 256 AC than to 268 AC. 

So I'd guess that the age difference was indeed something close to 5 years, perhaps a little bit bigger.