[TWoW Spoilers] Aeron I (Balticon)

9 hours ago, Tucu said:

And the bride theme seems to be missing Hizdahr.

Hizdahr didn't give Dany a child, so he isn't relevant to the prophecy. She will certainly ride more than 3 mounts, light more than 3 fires, be betrayed more than 3 times and so on and so forth, but only 3 of each of those things will be significant to the core of the prophecy. Similarly, she will have more than 3 husbands, but Hizdahr doesn't make the cut.

26 minutes ago, draft0 said:

You were right, we were wrong. :bowdown:

Wish George had read this chapter years ago.

Well, perhaps we can now also bury the AFfC/ADwD bashing. Those books were setting things up which are coming now. Yes, it took a lot of time and all but now things are going to pay off.

I mean, yes, Aeron's first chapter isn't all that interesting but it helped us to get to know him and now we have a better understanding of his present situation and pity him more than we could have had this been his first chapter. 

In general it seems the series is really climbing to new heights. I'm pretty sure the Red Wedding and the Frey pies are nothing compared to the things people will do and suffer through during the remainder of the series. Ran and Linda told us that George included pretty nasty stuff in the First Dornish War and the Dance, and I guess we are going to see stuff of that sort in the series now, too.

I always thought Euron was after something in Oldtown. Perhaps related to the Citadel and their secrets?

You've got a good point though.

I never thought Euron cared about Oldtown and the Reach in general. And he doesn't. He laughs about those foolish guys who took his poisoned gifts. He took the Shields, they will lose them. And he is not going to send any ships to their aid.

Euron's plan was to set sail for Slaver's Bay after the Shield Islands conquest. He had no intention of lingering there and only did so when he realized his foolish Ironborn wouldn't follow him. What he is doing right now has little to do with his actual plans. Therefore I don't think he is after anything in the Citadel or cares what's in there. The man might have certain insights and knowledge but he most certainly isn't a scholar nor aware of Citadel conspiracies or other factions who might employ the services of the Faceless Men (Jaqen-Pate is working for somebody, either for the House of Black and White or some other faction - but I don't think that faction is Euron).

Euron may have ships but he doesn't have a land army, nor does he have the tools to break Oldtown's defenses, especially when Oldtown still has access to the rest of the Reach by land in the event of a siege. I don't see why the Hightowers would surrender their city given those facts. Of course Euron might have something (magical) up his sleeve, but in that case why not just go all the way and take the most powerful city in Westeros? I think you may be ascribing too much rationality to Euron when, based on what we know of him, he's actually a batshit insane warlock. Euron's story will be more magical than political IMO.

The point is that Oldtown's trade will suffer if Euron ends up controlling the waters around Oldtown permanently. The Hightowers will have to choose between bending the knee or crippled/cut-off trade.

And Euron isn't a maniac as far as I can see. He is cruel and ambitious piece of shit but the problem is that he isn't mad. He can pull off the stuff he is trying to do. But he can also play the nice guy. If I were Euron and had just obliterated the Redwyne fleet I'd sent envoys to Oldtown and offer the Hightowers a deal. I would need to buy time while waiting for news about Victarion and Daenerys and considering that I actually want to take the Iron Throne I'd know that I need friends and allies to accomplish this. Sparing Oldtown if my demands (say, a pretty decent tribute) are met would make me look magnanimous, and I want to look like a true king (at least from a distance).

If I sack (or try to sack) Oldtown then I might be able to win a lot of riches but what will I do with them? I can throw them at the Ironborn but I cannot name a new Lord of Oldtown (not to mention that I most likely won't be able to take the Hightower, anyway) because the Tyrells will march against the city and retake it. Nor can I use the money to buy sellswords and soldiers, at least not in the near vicinity. For that I'd have to Essos or the Stepstones, but whatever people I might find there right now would afford to much.

This is why I think Euron and Cersei are natural allies in the very near future. Euron needs a house with strength in the mainland and Cersei can deliver him all that. If Cersei thinks the Tyrells are involved in the murder of her uncle, the Grand Maester (and possibly later even Tommen and/or Myrcella) she will do anything in her power to destroy them.

And in regards to Oldtown we should also not forget the hints indicating that Lord Leyton and the Mad Maid are into magic of their own. They might be strong enough to counter any spells Euron tries to use to attack their ships (and later their city). Depending how far in TWoW territory Aeron 1 is going to appear there would actually be a good chance to cover the battle from more than one POV. Samwell might accompany the Hightower ships for this or that reason in his second or so TWoW chapter. And who knows - perhaps the Mad Maid will be with him and show Euron what true magic looks like.

Even if all this is crap, I'm with you that Euron most likely will still lack the strength to take Oldtown even if the Redwyne fleet is defeated.

50 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

As an aside, I do note how my prediction of the South descending into chaos and being weakened as much as the North is starting to become reality. Just from a naval point of view, if Euron destroys the Redwynne and Hightower fleets, then Manderlys 50 warships will be left as one of the strongest naval forces this side of the Narrow Sea. And he is still building more.

I expect a similar trend in terms of land forces too, with the Tyrell and other southron armies being decimated in the coming Southern conflict.

There certainly will be a lot fighting and death everywhere. And I really expect it to continue in the North as well as everywhere else. I mean, we still have the Weeper as a threat in the North, not to mention the as of yet unresolved conflict between Stannis and the Boltons.

And honestly, I'm not sure how the Manderly ships could play any role in the plot. The fighting in the North is not near the coast and they won't go down and conquer the Vale or something like that.

Daenerys most likely will bring a grand armada to Westeros, consisting of the Ironborn ships, whatever ships the Ghiscari still have (perhaps including the ships of New Ghis which can easily be conquered by Dany's troops after the Yunkish allies have been dealt with) and then, of course, the entire Volantene navy, and in addition whatever ships her people are going to take in Volantis itself (after they have gone there) and, perhaps, on the way to Westeros from Lys, Tyrosh, and Myr. Those cities all happen to lie on the way to King's Landing.

Yep, this confirms that Euron was Bloodraven's Big Mistake. We knew from Bran's coma dream and Jojen's words that the 3-Eyed Crow had been contacting other magically talented people, some of whom didn't survive the experience - or maybe in some cases  it were just their minds that didn't (Hodor?). Dreamers broken on the teeth of ice, etc. And since ADwD it has been likely that Euron was one of those visited by the 3EC, but things didn't progress any further, and now we see why. Presumably, BR noticed that the kid was a crazy socipath and abandoned him - but not before opening Euron's eyes to the possibilities of magic.

@Lord Varys :

I don't believe that Euron only began to experiment with magic after he met the warlocks. According to Aeron's prior PoV's he was rumored to be a sorceror long before that. It is just that magic was weak before the comet, so he couldn't accomplish much, like all the other magic users we have seen in the series. 

I also don't think that Children of the Forest made the Others or became the Others - the show has to be parsimonious with it's characters and supernatural elements, but as we see the books show a far lusher and more complex picture. IMHO, TWoIAF provides hints of better origins for WW, which are more consistent with what we know about the history of First Men - Children interactions. 

However, it is entirely possible and even likely that the Others are manipulating Euron. Maybe he managed to go back to the Heart of Winter  after BR abandoned him and made contact with whatever is there?

As to what he is doing with the priests - as we have seen, people with magical aptitudes are often drawn to the priesthoods. Aeron himself, with his perfect record of drownings, etc. probably has some. And the Red Priests actively look for magical talents and train them. Blood and deaths of magically gifted are likely more potent as sacrifices for blood magic  than those of normal people. 

Speaking of Oldtown - here is to hoping that Lord Hightower and his daughter truly are sorcerers and will be able to blunt Euron's magics and protect their city. We will probably see them through Sam's PoV, given that Lord Leyton is his uncle by marriage and is bound to be interested in his news from the Wall, too. The Redwyne fleet is clearly toast, though.

Re: Valyrian armor - it is notable that by the time of the Conquest, Targaryens only had 2 Valyrian blades, despite still possessing huge dragons. This suggests to me that the making of Valyrian steel wasn't something that all dragonlords could do, but a trade secret of one family, which died with them. Also, that Targaryens never were wealthy enough to afford a lot of it.  

Edited by Maia

To me, if a large Tyrell force gets defeated at Storm's End, and if Euron has sacked the Arbor, destroys the Reach's fleet and starts raiding up the Mander at will, then much of the remaining Tyrell forces in King's Landing will be diverted South, leaving their influence in King's Landing much, much weaker.

That will allow Aegon to take King's Landing, with Euron the wildcard causing havoc all along the South. I expect plenty of Tyrells to die in this process.

the targaryens were a "poor" and not important noble familiy of valyria, maybe something like house payne or westerling, valyrian steel was by no means something cheap even in valyria, showed by the fact the aegon valued his valyrian steel swords, so it stands to reason that the targaryens were simply not rich enough to have a full set of valyrian steel armor

buying an insland on the edge of the civilized world was something like a roman noble family having huge lands near gaul or germania, not very impressive.
(and if i'm not mistaken GRRM himself said compared valyria to the roman empire)

Edited by BlueNightzx

I don't think Valyrian steel was produced by Dragonlords in any case. I think it was produced by the blood-sorcerer craftsmen of Old Valyria. And the Dragonlords employed such artisans much like a Westerosi lord employes a Maester or Smith.

Only, these guys were quite rare, even in Valyria. I expect that the Targaryens weren't wealthy enough to bring such a sorcerer to Dragonstone.

6 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I don't think Valyrian steel was produced by Dragonlords in any case. I think it was produced by the blood-sorcerer craftsmen of Old Valyria. And the Dragonlords employed such artisans much like a Westerosi lord employes a Maester or Smith.

Only, these guys were quite rare, even in Valyria. I expect that the Targaryens weren't wealthy enough to bring such a sorcerer to Dragonstone.

yes, i agree
valyria had their own fire mages and such, dragonlords are simply noble families, some had enough wealth to employ such men to their desires.

i believe the extent of "magic knowledge" of the noble families  was the training, binding and riding of dragons, much as a noble westerosi young man who learns how to fight with the master at arms, riding, reading and such

Edited by BlueNightzx

@Maia

Hm, I always thought the teeth of ice were special in Bran's case and symbolized death. For Bran it was 'fly or die' because of his coma, others might have been in a different situation. And as far as we know young Euron was never sick or near death as a child.

But, yeah, I'm in complete agreement that Bloodraven most likely opened Euron's third eye - or at least part of it. Perhaps Euron is a naturally twisted thing, nearly a greenseer, but not completely (which could be symbolized by the fact that he doesn't two red eyes). Or his just a failure because of Bloodraven's fault.

Do you remember any explicit references to Euron experimenting with magic prior to his exile? I don't recall any such - all I do remember is the rumors about Euron having sorcerers with him on the Silence after his return.

As to his own magical potential: We have to wait and see what happens there, but it really seems as if he is preparing to do the magic himself. He is clearly full of shade of the evening at the point the chapters ends. Thinking about the prow people - perhaps this is going to be some sort of reference to the Israelites in Egypt warding their houses with blood against god's wrath? Perhaps whatever Euron is going to summon or create will feed of the lives of the people bound to the prows while sparing the ships and the lives of the people on board? Say, Euron summons a demon or a monster or creates some spells with the help of such creatures (remember, the shadows that were dancing in the tent back in AGoT!) then he might set things up so that those spirits/demons can drink the lives of the people bound to the prows.

And, yeah, at least the red priest might have innate magical potential which might make him a valuable sacrifice in some blood magic ritual. There are also hints that there at times also people with magical talents among the followers of the Seven (the Elder Brother, for instance). But it might also be part of Euron's agenda to show his own superiority and strength over those people who claim to speak for the gods. I mean, having people witness how he delivers such people to demons/spirits/whatever should make a pretty big impression on them. Especially those superstitious Ironborn.

By the way: Pyat Pree isn't the legless chap repeating the name 'Pree' all the time, or is he? My guess he is not and the person is begging Pree for help or mumbling the name because it was Pree's decision that he is now in the situation he is. One hopes that Pree remains alive until such time as he can meet Dany again (or at least until we, the readers, can see him again).

As to the Others:

Well, I expect to be some kind of Ineluki/Utuk'ku character to be behind their creation. And those might very well be (former) Children of the Forest. And insofar as the Others are creatures who recruit themselves from human children (and turn human corpses against them) it is pretty likely that they were originally conceived as weapons against mankind by the Children.

There might also be the connection between greyscale and the Others. The origin of greyscale was Garin's Curse but it is a spell that has taken a life of its own, and became a sickness. I don't think the Others are completely analogous to that but there certainly might be similarities.

Samwell/Oldtown:

Yeah, the fact that Leyton and Samwell are actually connected via their Florent relations there is a pretty good chance that Sam will see his uncle-by-marriage soon. Come to think of it, Sam and Leyton don't have to physically with the ships to see what's going to happen if we assume they use some glass candles. And one would imagine that Lord Leyton also has glass candles (or at least one of them) in his tower. If there is any truth to the rumors about him and Melara being into sorcery.

Back to Euron himself:

One really wonders how that guy inherited his magical blood/talent. Is Euron truly the full brother of Balon, Victarion, Urrigon, and Aeron? Or did his Sunderly mother have an affair with somebody else?

Granted, the Ironborn should have a lot of First Men ancestors due to the whole salt wives thing, but one would expect Euron to have some prominent ancestors with magical potential. The only interesting idea in that department I can come up with is that Lord Torwyn Greyjoy's blood oath sworn to Bittersteel might have involved some sort of marriage - say, Bittersteel's daughter or a different Blackfyre girl in exchange for his allegiance. If the Greyjoys later betrayed their Blackfyre allies the Iron Throne might have seen no issue with Lord Torwyn keeping his bride.

Other thing:

The fact that there are no Harlaw banners to be seen at the end of the chapters is very intriguing. The Reader doesn't seem to be with Euron right now, suggesting that Euron doesn't command as many ships as he should be commanding. I'd not be surprised if it turned out that Rodrik Harlaw would soon take his ships to Oldtown and team up with the Hightowers. That guy would feel at home in the Citadel, anyway, and could be of great help to Sam and Sarella.

52 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

To me, if a large Tyrell force gets defeated at Storm's End, and if Euron has sacked the Arbor, destroys the Reach's fleet and starts raiding up the Mander at will, then much of the remaining Tyrell forces in King's Landing will be diverted South, leaving their influence in King's Landing much, much weaker.

That will allow Aegon to take King's Landing, with Euron the wildcard causing havoc all along the South. I expect plenty of Tyrells to die in this process.

A large Tyrell force might be defeated but that isn't going to result in tens of thousands of men actually being killed. A defeat in battle usually doesn't result in the slaughtering of the entire enemy army. So there might actually be a lot of Tyrell men surviving who then end up in Aegon's army.

I also don't see Euron raiding up and down the Mander. He doesn't want to raid. He wants to conquer. If he had intended to raid his fleet would have stayed back near the Shield Islands and/or would already have begun making such raids. But as far as we know there is no hint that such things are happening (and if they do they will most likely be done by those newly appointed Ironborn lords of the Shields, and with their own men and ships).

As to the Valyrian steel armor:

Well, the Targaryens also could have had some and lost it during some accident prior to the Conquest. Ships do sink, after all, and Valyrian armor can, presumably, sink to the bottom of the sea.

By the way - Valyrian armor most likely is not going to protect you against dragonfire. The heat should still cook you in the armor, at least as long as you got a decent bit of dragonfire. However, if the glyphs on the armor are magical things might be different.

Thinking about that: I guess a good explanation for Dragonbinder and Euron's Valyrian armor could be the assumption that the Qartheen warlocks once teamed up with a Valyrian dragonlord faction during some struggle/civil war in Valyria and captured Dragonbinder and this armor in the process. Both do not look like stuff that are still to be found in Valyria or were ever bought and sold by the Valyrians.

11 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

@Maia

Hm, I always thought the teeth of ice were special in Bran's case and symbolized death. For Bran it was 'fly or die' because of his coma, others might have been in a different situation. And as far as we know young Euron was never sick or near death as a child.

But, yeah, I'm in complete agreement that Bloodraven most likely opened Euron's third eye - or at least part of it. Perhaps Euron is a naturally twisted thing, nearly a greenseer, but not completely (which could be symbolized by the fact that he doesn't two red eyes). Or his just a failure because of Bloodraven's fault.

Do you remember any explicit references to Euron experimenting with magic prior to his exile? I don't recall any such - all I do remember is the rumors about Euron having sorcerers with him on the Silence after his return.

As to his own magical potential: We have to wait and see what happens there, but it really seems as if he is preparing to do the magic himself. He is clearly full of shade of the evening at the point the chapters ends. Thinking about the prow people - perhaps this is going to be some sort of reference to the Israelites in Egypt warding their houses with blood against god's wrath? Perhaps whatever Euron is going to summon or create will feed of the lives of the people bound to the prows while sparing the ships and the lives of the people on board? Say, Euron summons a demon or a monster or creates some spells with the help of such creatures (remember, the shadows that were dancing in the tent back in AGoT!) then he might set things up so that those spirits/demons can drink the lives of the people bound to the prows.

And, yeah, at least the red priest might have innate magical potential which might make him a valuable sacrifice in some blood magic ritual. There are also hints that there at times also people with magical talents among the followers of the Seven (the Elder Brother, for instance). But it might also be part of Euron's agenda to show his own superiority and strength over those people who claim to speak for the gods. I mean, having people witness how he delivers such people to demons/spirits/whatever should make a pretty big impression on them. Especially those superstitious Ironborn.

By the way: Pyat Pree isn't the legless chap repeating the name 'Pree' all the time, or is he? My guess he is not and the person is begging Pree for help or mumbling the name because it was Pree's decision that he is now in the situation he is. One hopes that Pree remains alive until such time as he can meet Dany again (or at least until we, the readers, can see him again).

As to the Others:

Well, I expect to be some kind of Ineluki/Utuk'ku character to be behind their creation. And those might very well be (former) Children of the Forest. And insofar as the Others are creatures who recruit themselves from human children (and turn human corpses against them) it is pretty likely that they were originally conceived as weapons against mankind by the Children.

There might also be the connection between greyscale and the Others. The origin of greyscale was Garin's Curse but it is a spell that has taken a life of its own, and became a sickness. I don't think the Others are completely analogous to that but there certainly might be similarities.

Samwell/Oldtown:

Yeah, the fact that Leyton and Samwell are actually connected via their Florent relations there is a pretty good chance that Sam will see his uncle-by-marriage soon. Come to think of it, Sam and Leyton don't have to physically with the ships to see what's going to happen if we assume they use some glass candles. And one would imagine that Lord Leyton also has glass candles (or at least one of them) in his tower. If there is any truth to the rumors about him and Melara being into sorcery.

Back to Euron himself:

One really wonders how that guy inherited his magical blood/talent. Is Euron truly the full brother of Balon, Victarion, Urrigon, and Aeron? Or did his Sunderly mother have an affair with somebody else?

Granted, the Ironborn should have a lot of First Men ancestors due to the whole salt wives thing, but one would expect Euron to have some prominent ancestors with magical potential. The only interesting idea in that department I can come up with is that Lord Torwyn Greyjoy's blood oath sworn to Bittersteel might have involved some sort of marriage - say, Bittersteel's daughter or a different Blackfyre girl in exchange for his allegiance. If the Greyjoys later betrayed their Blackfyre allies the Iron Throne might have seen no issue with Lord Torwyn keeping his bride.

Other thing:

The fact that there are no Harlaw banners to be seen at the end of the chapters is very intriguing. The Reader doesn't seem to be with Euron right now, suggesting that Euron doesn't command as many ships as he should be commanding. I'd not be surprised if it turned out that Rodrik Harlaw would soon take his ships to Oldtown and team up with the Hightowers. That guy would feel at home in the Citadel, anyway, and could be of great help to Sam and Sarella.

A large Tyrell force might be defeated but that isn't going to result in tens of thousands of men actually being killed. A defeat in battle usually doesn't result in the slaughtering of the entire enemy army. So there might actually be a lot of Tyrell men surviving who then end up in Aegon's army.

I also don't see Euron raiding up and down the Mander. He doesn't want to raid. He wants to conquer. If he had intended to raid his fleet would have stayed back near the Shield Islands and/or would already have begun making such raids. But as far as we know there is no hint that such things are happening (and if they do they will most likely be done by those newly appointed Ironborn lords of the Shields, and with their own men and ships).

As to the Valyrian steel armor:

Well, the Targaryens also could have had some and lost it during some accident prior to the Conquest. Ships do sink, after all, and Valyrian armor can, presumably, sink to the bottom of the sea.

By the way - Valyrian armor most likely is not going to protect you against dragonfire. The heat should still cook you in the armor, at least as long as you got a decent bit of dragonfire. However, if the glyphs on the armor are magical things might be different.

Thinking about that: I guess a good explanation for Dragonbinder and Euron's Valyrian armor could be the assumption that the Qartheen warlocks once teamed up with a Valyrian dragonlord faction during some struggle/civil war in Valyria and captured Dragonbinder and this armor in the process. Both do not look like stuff that are still to be found in Valyria or were ever bought and sold by the Valyrians.

I don't see why a magical ancestor is required for someone to have greenseeing talent. We learn that one man in a million with First Man blood has the greenseeing talent. Given that ratio, Bran and Bloodraven should have a few dozen compatriots spread across Westeros.

Maybe the one in a million was just a figure of speech, so it might be rarer than that. But Euron being one with such a Gift is easily explained within that context.

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

given  that we now know that indeed euron has powers, its not so impossible to him having indeed gone to valyria, with the magic knowledge that he has and his priests and wizards, maybe outskirts of valyria at least or some outpost, not necessarily the heart of the smoking sea

Euron is defined by his madness, if there is anyone who can pull a quick trip to valyria, its him

Edited by BlueNightzx

Just now, JLE said:

Where is there *any* evidence of a connection between Bloodraven and Euron?

Where is there *any* evidence of Bloodraven having made a "big mistake"? Book, chapter, text?

Yeah, I agree that there is no evidence for it.

But the reference to Euron dreaming that he could fly, when he was young, certainly hints to his greenseeing talent. Whether he was contacted by Bloodraven thereafter, however, well, we have no evidence for that.

The Targaryen's not having Valyrian steel armor can also be expained by them selling it in the years after the doom, most of the Valyrian steel swords in westeros where obtained some 400 years ago thats right after the doom. they might have had the armor reforged into swords and sold it in order to apease ther new neighbors, since 4 of the 5 dragons they had with them died and they had to wait for the two new ones to mature.

Edited by direpupy

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Yeah, I agree that there is no evidence for it.

But the reference to Euron dreaming that he could fly, when he was young, certainly hints to his greenseeing talent. Whether he was contacted by Bloodraven thereafter, however, well, we have no evidence for that.

This is actual the implicit evidence for that. After all, Bran wasn't just dreaming about flying all by himself. Bloodraven talked to him about that.

So if Euron's talk about his dream is intended as a reference to Bran, then it most likely also refers to Bloodraven contactin Bran and Euron. This is by no means yet confirmed beyond the shadow of a doubt but actually not unlikely.

6 minutes ago, direpupy said:

The Targaryen's not having Valyrian armor can also be expained by them selling it in the years after the doom, most of the Valyrian steel swords in westeros where obtained some 400 years ago thats right after the doom. they might have had the armor reforged into swords and sold it in order to apease ther new neighbors, since 4 of the 5 dragons they had with them died and they had to wait for the two new ones to mature.

but i don't think we had any knowledge that valyrian steel armor even existed prior to this chapter, in essos we have all kinds of weapons of valyrian steel as an arakh and all, but never an armor

if that was the case we would had heard before, of some rich triarch, cheesemonger or whatever having one

even the forging of normal steel plate armor was expensive and reserved for knights and nobility, its very different having a steel weapon to a steel set of armor, i think this reasons stands for valyrian steel, which, to begin with, is rare and expensive.

but i agree that maybe the HotU in quarth could had one as part of their magic artifacts, given that euron had made several contacts with them, its a possibility and explains why we never heard before.

Edited by BlueNightzx

Just now, BlueNightzx said:

but i don't think we had any knowledge that valyrian steel armor even existed prior to this chapter, in essos we have all kinds of weapons of valyrian steel as an arakh and all, but never an armor

if that was the case we would had heard before, of some rich triarch, cheesemonger or whatever having one

even the forging of normal steel plate armor was expensive and reserved for knights and nobility, its very different having a steel weapon to a steel set of armor, i think this reasons stands for valyrian steel, which, to begin with, is rare and expensive.

hence the word "also" its not the only explanation its a possible explanantion.

But personnaly i don't think not having heard of one before means the Targaryen's did not have one at some point in there history.

3 minutes ago, direpupy said:

hence the word "also" its not the only explanation its a possible explanantion.

But personnaly i don't think not having heard of one before means the Targaryen's did not have one at some point in there history.

yes, i agree its a possible explanation