Is Daenerys the main antagonist of the saga?

The show is not generally that subtle with what it is telling the audience to feel through its music, and in this case, it uses Dany's more inspirational music, saying, "Be inspired by her goodness."  Meanwhile, Dany is saying, "Let's go kill a bunch of people and destroy their homes."

I think that was the point. To make us feel good about something terrible. Shows how the production of GOT is top tier, despite what so many haters choose to believe.

4 hours ago, LifeRuiner said:

Honestly, Hitler? Still too soon. I also don't think people who don't know history (i.e. director) should throw historical examples around. Hitler killed himself half a year before the trials happened.

Again, the director is clearly referencing Hitler's 1935 speech at Nuremberg.  Accusing him of not knowing history is a bit much.

5 hours ago, Masha's apron said:

I think this is a key point. I cannot see a way Dany can conquer the North if Winter hits hard, and it will before the WW even turn up. The Dothraki will die in their thousands in the snow and ice; they probably cannot fight in those conditions. Likewise, the Unsullied. There's a reason why Westerosi knights wear iron clothes and live in stone houses.

It will be like Stalingrad all over again.

Good call, that.  "Winter is coming"  - hooray!

If/when they invade, maybe they can go via Dorne first and get the killing & tearing down houses bit out of their system before she comes to her senses & acts a little more cerebrally. At least the (surviving) Dornish won't freeze to death too soon & it's a better climate for her Khalasar & Unsullied.

9 hours ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

If/when they invade, maybe they can go via Dorne first and get the killing & tearing down houses bit out of their system before she comes to her senses & acts a little more cerebrally. At least the (surviving) Dornish won't freeze to death too soon & it's a better climate for her Khalasar & Unsullied.

I wouldn't really call a desert a better climate for over 100,000 half naked men and their horses.

On 6/2/2016 at 10:02 AM, Ser Greenseer said:

I wouldn't really call a desert a better climate for over 100,000 half naked men and their horses.

+1. There's a reason the Talibans & middle eastern people don't walk around half naked. Even the horny Dornishmen wear full clothing. There's no chance Dany will conquer Dorne.  Aegon the Conqueror with 3 dragons couldn't do it, 1 dragon was killed in battle (+ Rhaenys probably caught by Dornish force). Dany will probably join force with the Snakes next season. I don't think we will see Dorne again this season. The writers screwed up badly they are probably still thinking what to do with them next season.

Based on history, it looks like there's a precedence on how to kill the dragons, maybe 1 or 2 dragons might die against Jon's forces / the White Walkers.

On May 30, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Dany's Golden Fleece said:

Which is why he joined the Night's Watch?

The Jon we see now is not the same Jon that took the black. He said it himself, he's tired of fighting. 

30 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

Daenerys is the main protagonist.

And has been from book 1.

She isnt dying either, she'll make it to the end & save the world.

Ha ha, I'm a strong advocate of the opposite. She started as a sweet protagonist but has undergone a character arc to make her the (or a) chief antagonist. I agree she'll make it to near the end before she can destroy the world ;)

This story doesn't have a protagonist - who is the protagonist in the Ragnarok? Who is the protagonist in Revelations? It has an antagonist - the Iron Throne and the corruption/conflict it creates in the human heart - but it isn't going to be beaten by a hero.

41 minutes ago, ummester said:

This story doesn't have a protagonist - who is the protagonist in the Ragnarok? Who is the protagonist in Revelations? It has an antagonist - the Iron Throne and the corruption/conflict it creates in the human heart - but it isn't going to be beaten by a hero.

Agreed. That antagonist is actually Men. The protagonists, if you can call it that, are the weirwood trees, and the weirnet is not sentimental about ridding itself of human scum.

• 1 month later...

I don't see Daenerys as a main protagonist too. In the books she's kind of more human and thoughtful, but in the show she's mostly conquers and kills. Yes, she freed people of Mereen, but during the siege in the last episode she just wanted to burn them.

But actually most characters in ASOIF are in the grey zone, everyone's morals are questionable in one way or another. And I find it really annoying how many people try to divide them in "good" and "bad" and want a happily ever after.

Archived