(spoilers, probably) Arya's fate

First, I don't know what the spoiler etiquette is here, so I'm playing it safe and putting my question in spoiler tags in case you haven't seen the episode yet, or read the books.

Spoiler

Alright: I just wanted to raise the possibility that the show's doing a fake-out with regard to Arya and the Waif. Here's the relevant scene, faithfully transcribed:

INT. HOUSE OF BLACK & WHITE - DAY

JAQEN is busy cutting off a dead man's face. Enter THE WAIF.

JAQEN

...and?

THE WAIF

As I expected.

JAQEN

Shame. A girl had many gifts. (pause)

THE WAIF

You promised me.

JAQEN

Don't let her suffer.

THE WAIF leaves, smirking.

It looks like Arya's in a lot of trouble: the penalty for failure seems to be death, and Jaqen has promised the Waif she can carry out the sentence, something the Waif seems quite happy about. But the vague dialogue admits another possibility. I've reimagined the scene with this possibility in mind:

INT. HOUSE OF BLACK & WHITE - DAY

JAQEN is busy cutting off a dead man's face. Enter THE WAIF.

JAQEN

Did Arya go through with it?

THE WAIF

No. I told you so.

JAQEN

Shame. A girl had many gifts. She would have made an excellent Faceless Man. I wish her all the best in her future endeavours.

THE WAIF

What about the actress? You promised me I could kill her if Arya bailed.

JAQEN

Oh, alright. Remember, don't let her suffer: you're there to kill her, not hurt her.

THE WAIF leaves, smirking the smirk of one who told one so.

See, in the books, the Kindly Man tells Arya she's free to leave at any time. Indeed, he encourages her to do so. It doesn't seem like Arya ever goes past some point of no return, and her knowledge of the Faceless Men is the same in book and show. We also learn that a Faceless Man isn't supposed to kill anybody he knows personally. In fact, given everything we know about the organisation, it seems that the very idea of enjoying the act of killing would be frowned upon. It's a religious duty, meant to be performed dispassionately and anonymously.

If these things are true in the show too, then Arya isn't in any danger at all. She's out of the Faceless Men, which saddens Jaqen, and the waif will have to fill in for her with regard to the actress. (The waif seems a little too eager to do it, but I get the impression she's lower on the totem pole than Jaqen, so he may occasionally have to rein her in. Nobody's perfect.) But nobody's going to come and kill her. Psych! They made us think she was in danger, but really she's fine.

Now, I must say, I think that's unlikely. The show's different from the books in many ways. Why not here, too? The Faceless Men in the show are probably more blasé about the religious formalities, and Jaqen's worried that Arya knows too much about their secretive ways. It's a shame, but Arya's got to die. I think she'll be fighting the waif soon - but I just wanted to put this other possibility on the record, so that I can brag if it does come true.

Oh - and I only mention this for the sake of completeness - but I suppose it's also possible that the show version of the Faceless Men aren't less religious than the book version, or that they don't consider the information Arya's learned about them to be too sensitive, but merely that they're inconsistently presented, and the writers have lost their firm grasp of the details as they rush towards the finish line. But that's a possibility that's so outlandish that it should be dismissed immediately and never raised again.

it could have been like in the books too, that she could have been in no danger if she failed, especially considering in previous episodes jaqen kept challenging her about not being ready and that if she doesnt wanna do it it would be perfectly fine...i do think though what put her in danger is that she bonded with the actress and as a result she failed her task of killing her but crossed the line when she stated the person who wanted her dead...from what i understood in the scene that lady had made a deal with faceless men, its a known fact faceless men are loyal to their deals and there is a secrecy going on regarding the dealers and she pointed out the dealer herself to the victim and broke an important rule for faceless men..therefore i do believe she is danger though she probably will beat up waif....

The Waif is clearly not showing a true "faceless man" spirit. Very spiteful and holds a personal grudge against Arya. Arya's gonna kill her and bring Jaq'en her head or face or maybe even the face of the young actress and say you said "a face would be added to the wall one way or another". Here it is. I'm out. Jaq'en will smile and let her leave or he may even teach her how to change faces and let her leave. That's my dream scenario. Probably too happy ending to happen. Lol. 

11 minutes ago, Darren Allen said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Ayra already knows how to change faces. Didn't she use a face to kill Ser Meryn Trant?

You're right. So she can just kill the waif or the younger actress and take their face. But didn't it make her go blind?

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

You're right. So she can just kill the waif or the younger actress and take their face. But didn't it make her go blind?

Stealing the face didn't make her go blind. That was a specific punishment by the FM.

I think the waif is also being tested here, and Arya was never told the FM would kill her if she decided to leave. They told her she could leave many times...

1 hour ago, Tyrion's Third Wife said:

Stealing the face didn't make her go blind. That was a specific punishment by the FM.

I think the waif is also being tested here, and Arya was never told the FM would kill her if she decided to leave. They told her she could leave many times...

So how did they make her go blind in the show?

16 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Now, I must say, I think that's unlikely. The show's different from the books in many ways. Why not here, too? The Faceless Men in the show are probably more blasé about the religious formalities, and Jaqen's worried that Arya knows too much about their secretive ways. It's a shame, but Arya's got to die. I think she'll be fighting the waif soon - but I just wanted to put this other possibility on the record, so that I can brag if it does come true.

for the action, they changed the story to put some action sequences in it, Arya simply leaving the FM is not interesting, so they must put some fightings and killings with the Waif to make the fans enjoy the experience and cheer for the starks

I wish Arya would just leave this disappointing plotline and return to Westeros ASAP, but I'm sure the Waif is actually the one failing tests and not Arya. 

Anyway, I hope Arya's fate includes a costume change. The one she has been wearing during the last episodes is awfully unflattering, especially with her hair tied up on the sides.

I have to wonder if she meets up with Brienne soon. Brienne heading to the RL and Arya heading out of Braavos ( I assume ). Maybe she heads to the the area and hears about people rallying to Sansa's aid?

I have a real tinfoil-y thought here. What if the Waif kills Arya, but Arya somehow wargs into Nymeria and as Nymeria lead her superpack in the Riverlands and obliquely gets her revenge against the Freys? Now I know they haven't established that Arya can warg, but some rumors say that we'll see Nymeria and her pack sometime this season.

7 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Drinking that potion ...

that was the books. She never drank the potion in the show. The kindly man drank the potion to pay for the life that was not taken. Arya began to pull the faces off until she reached her own and then just went blind. The waif who turned into Jaq'en said the faces are poison to her because she was not no one...

Archived