DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

On 2017-5-20 at 1:34 AM, DunderMifflin said:

Well Well DC finally making something I'm interested in seeing besides Batman.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/850671-wonder-woman-clip#/slide/1

Can't say I like the look of Wonder Woman , I pictured her to look much cooler in my head. But the fight scene is pretty badass and the cast is pretty stout.
Also Lucy Davis from the office uk.

First time I saw that fight scene I thought it looked cool. On repeat its has far too many Snyder-isms within it that all optimism has died. Why they seem to have created an aesthetic based on that mans vision is beyond me.

I'm sorry for what Snyder is going through--but I have to think he turned in another shit product too. I don't know what's so bad about saying that. The trailers have been poorly received, Warner had another debacle with King Arthur--they likely aren't too keen on any more big project risks--and Justice League is their biggest, I'd say. Joss Weedon was a big score for them.

I initially saw part of the headline, 'Zack Snyder steps down...' and was happy, then I read the rest, and I am sorry for him. This is tragic news.

I hope Whedon can do a good job, but personally the thing that would give me the most hope is if Wonder Woman turns out to be good. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I initially saw part of the headline, 'Zack Snyder steps down...' and was happy, then I read the rest, and I am sorry for him. This is tragic news.

I had the same reaction. I can't imagine trying to cope with a child committing suicide. Not surprised he thought going back to work would help the grieving process. Dive back in with something he had control over. But, yeah. His other kids need him more than a movie does.

It is just a movie, for all the time we spend picking over all the details.

'It is just a movie, for all the time we spend picking over all the details'

Yeah. I see the reactions like 'I feel bad about his daughter and stuff but thank goodness, this means someone better is now involved in this piece of optional entertainment' and I shake my head. Are superhero movies so important that you can't just feel for the guy - his daughter took her life - and not care about the other stuff? Like, for a few days anyways?

4 hours ago, kairparavel said:

'It is just a movie, for all the time we spend picking over all the details'

Yeah. I see the reactions like 'I feel bad about his daughter and stuff but thank goodness, this means someone better is now involved in this piece of optional entertainment' and I shake my head. Are superhero movies so important that you can't just feel for the guy - his daughter took her life - and not care about the other stuff? Like, for a few days anyways?

Edit, Edit: I don't know, I've done some thinking--I don't have a right to police or assert how people feel on this. I'll respect the wishes of others--I've been wrong so often in my life, this definitely seems like an area where I'm likely blundering through like a dope.

We have to be selfish though, or at least I do. I prioritise me and mine first and foremost, otherwise I couldn't cope with the world. I feel for Zack, I do, but if I see a film that results from all this, good or bad, it'll occupy more of my time, and thoughts, than the tragedy he has endured. If that makes me shitty, well I guess I'm shitty. I'm kind of too tired to be told what I should think.

That's a really shitty thing for him and his family to go through. It's also shitty that he knew how people online would respond if he left without giving the genuine reason. Hopefully now there's some context people can think twice before condemning the guy.

Surely at this stage most of the film is done? In that sense it'll still be Snyder's film which at this stage it should be. He's put a lot of time into the DCEU and irrespective of whether we like his take or not I think he deserves to have his film out and be judged. It'd be a shame if Whedon's involvement was marginal and people gave him all the credit.

I've no idea how Whedon's segments will gel - they both strike me as directors with a clear style that doesn't really bend towards others. It does sound like they are keen to get Whedon involved in the DCEU though with this and the aforementioned Batgirl film.

But yeah - I hope Snyder stays away from social media and concentrates on healing with his family.

20 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

We have to be selfish though, or at least I do. I prioritise me and mine first and foremost, otherwise I couldn't cope with the world. I feel for Zack, I do, but if I see a film that results from all this, good or bad, it'll occupy more of my time, and thoughts, than the tragedy he has endured. If that makes me shitty, well I guess I'm shitty. I'm kind of too tired to be told what I should think.

That's exactly what Zack Snyder has done as well. He quite rightly couldn't give a shit right now about how people react to the Justice League film and how he's not involved in it anymore.

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's exactly what Zack Snyder has done as well. He quite rightly couldn't give a shit right now about how people react to the Justice League film and how he's not involved in it anymore.

Sure, and good on him, he's doing what he needs to for his family. Some things are more important. They're just not important to me, and I'm not going to pretend they are.

38 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's a really shitty thing for him and his family to go through. It's also shitty that he knew how people online would respond if he left without giving the genuine reason. Hopefully now there's some context people can think twice before condemning the guy.

Oh I have to respond--he put out the Man of Steel and BvS. We can condemn him. He made some terrible movies and really put the DCU on shaky ground. The tragedy in his life has nothing to do with that.

42 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think he does care though--or why release the info that had been kept private for two months? I don't blame him, he has weathered A LOT of criticism. The guy has a lot going on, and he likely wants to be left alone. I do think he cares, and he should--he's a professional. I'd be concerned if he didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but with all the good reviews and the word of mouth saying she is really...heroic? I wonder if she should be the face of the Justice League franchise (instead of Superman). While he was always the big hero of the group, I think this iteration of Wonder Woman could take that role. I'm excited for the new movie--waiting to see it with my son--and I think Gal Gadot was so good in BvS, she should just be the focal point of these movies.

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but with all the good reviews and the word of mouth saying she is really...heroic? I wonder if she should be the face of the Justice League franchise (instead of Superman). While he was always the big hero of the group, I think this iteration of Wonder Woman could take that role. I'm excited for the new movie--waiting to see it with my son--and I think Gal Gadot was so good in BvS, she should just be the focal point of these movies.

If they bothered to do Superman correctly instead of giving him teen angst the whole time then maybe he would be a good face for JL. 

They've also been crippled by a pretty bland group of superheroes to go along with the main 3

Well obviously they're going to center Justice League round Batman, not Supes. But it'll be interesting to see if WW gets a more prominent role going forward given the reception.

I'm also curious about how they handle the sequel. WW hasn't got a particularly strong rogues gallery or, in my opinion, supporting cast, and that I know of no classic individual stories they can look to for inspiration. Doing something with Circe would be the obvious route, but I'd be apprehensive since I don't find her interesting at all. But we'll see. By the sounds of this (haven't seen it yet, not out here till the fucking 14th ffs), they've earned some trust whatever they do.

Me, I'd love to see DC generally re-framing Vandal Savage as an antithesis of Wonder Woman the way Darkseid has become for Superman, but that doesn't seem likely.

Archived