DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

12 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

Never really liked the New Gods. Hope that DC can put out another decent DCEU movie though.

It's a really odd choice but maybe they are trying to distance themselves from the Justice League for a while (or do stand-alone franchises)? I've heard the current Mr Miracle comic is very good - maybe they'll use him as a central figure.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

It's a really odd choice but maybe they are trying to distance themselves from the Justice League for a while (or do stand-alone franchises)? I've heard the current Mr Miracle comic is very good - maybe they'll use him as a central figure.

Given the director's professed fondness for Big Barda, I'd be very surprised if it didn't center around those two.

I think DC is getting an undeserved bad rap, and I can't understand why.  I just watched the 5 films in a row in chronological order, and I thought they were great superhero films.  With the exception of The Dark Knight, Logan, and Deadpool; I feel like all of these films (X-men, Marvel, DC, Batman, & Spidey) are all in the decent to good action films range.  And yet you come to boards like this and it's like DC shat on your front door, many times before the movie is even released.  

Am I missing something in the comic book world where this is the case?  Or is this because Batman, Superman, and WW have been at the forefront of superhero worlds for so long that the bar is artificially raised; while the only real 'movie star' characters coming out of Marvel are The Hulk and Spidey?

My wife and I really enjoyed Justice League and thought it had a great balance of action, seriousness, and humor.  The surprising standouts were the Flash and Aquaman, and I also loved the direction they took with old batman.  The only character that didn't click for me was Superman, and honestly, he was more like the Superman of old than the previous two movies, which felt forced and off in this setting.  I wish they could keep a limit on how much they are spending, because I really want them to keep going in this universe.  REALLY want to see Leto's Joker some more.

I can only speak to the two DC films I've seen. One was Wonder Woman, which was undoubtedly a fine film. It's not comparable to Marvel's best, and I can understand criticisms of the ending, but overall it's a smartly written and made, successful attempt to bring to the big screen a character that deserves more exposure and it does some interesting things.

Suicide Squad, on the other hand, is a mess. I kind of like bits of it, but objectively I can recognise it's a mess. Structure, characterisation, plot, all over the place. I could go into detail but we've been over that ground before. Short version: whatever story SS was trying to tell, it just didn't tell it very well. And that's what it boils down to. 

I won't lie, I am a Marvel guy.  I read marvel comics when I was a kid and love the Marvel movies now.  At the same time, I loved the original superman movies (even superman 3 and superman returns) and all of the Batman movies.

The new DC universe movies have been hit and very miss for me.

Man of Steel.  I disliked this movie.  I can't stand what they did with Ma and Pa Kent.  I can't stand the way the portray superman.  I can't even stand the redesigned costume.

Batman V Superman.  There was so much of this movie that I liked.  Batman was great throughout the movie.  I enjoyed the different way Luthor was portrayed.  The problem was they tried to cram to much into the movie, IMO.  This movie should have been 3 seperate movies to establish motives and reasoning.  Plus don't get me started on cheapening the death of superman or "why did you say that name!"

Suicide Squad.  Oddly enough this is my favorite DC movie (I know I know, trash taste, lol).  Even with the trash story and trash villain.  I liked most of the characters and the interplay between them.  I even liked their new version of the Joker.

Wonder Woman.  Good movie.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I still haven't seen Justice League, may watch this week if it is On Demand yet, but I am hopeful that after Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, DC is on an uptick for me.

The difference between DC and Marvel, for me, is if I listed all the Marvel movies, I wouldn't say I disliked any of the Marvel movies.  Even the movies I would rank at the bottom of the list (Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Hulk) are still more enjoyable than half the DC movies.

I liked Man of Steel (probably because I'm not a Superman fan, at all). 

BvS but it shoudld've been 2 movies, but it was okay, I loved Batfleck in it.

All Suicide Squad had to do to be better was to make the Joker the main villain.

Wonder Woman was fine. 

Justice League was okay too. It's not the movie it shoudl've been, but it was not a disaster either.

The main problem here is WB. They have no vision, too many people have a say in what goes down and ultimately what should've been a good alternative to the Marvel flicks ended up like a cheap imitation. There is no way in hell a movie like Justice League with Batman, Superman and Wonderman should tank at the box office and make less than a billion, but it did. That tells you something is wrong. 

Archived