Confirmed: Brienne confirmed descendant of Dunk

ErasmusF

1 minute ago, John Doe said:

Honestly, I don't like it much. The shield she got was a nice easter egg, now it seems like a huge coincidence for a book like asoiaf. 

I can't deny she has a bit more of my sympathy now, though.

I don't get how it is a coincidence ? She remembers the shield from the armory in Tarth, and describes it so as to have the same painted.

Anyway, always great to have the confirmation

16 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I don't get how it is a coincidence ? She remembers the shield from the armory in Tarth, and describes it so as to have the same painted.

Anyway, always great to have the confirmation

Oh, you're right, I mixed it up and thought the shield she got was the one from Dunk. In this case, I kinda like it. 

Just now, John Doe said:

Oh, you're right, I mixed it up and thought the shield she got was the one from Dunk. In this case, I kinda like it. 

I agree, it's a nice touch.

Now I want to know the circumstances of Dunk's link to the Tarths, and who's their Targ ancestor as well.

This was too easy.

Who was the man in the cave or CH.... so many questions that are not obvious. (Not a shot at the op or GRRM)

Hopefully we will get the next Dunk and Egg book after the release of Winds.  It would be nice to have more of the back story going into Spring.

GRRM has stated he has ideas for about a dozen Dunk and Egg novellas and I believe it was said he is releasing them as groups of three/four at a time (Like Kinght of the 7).

4 minutes ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

Haven't we known this for a long time? Dunk's shield is on Tarth in her father's armory, and she remembers the design well enough to have it recreated. 

The point is, it's confirmed now. Prior, it was speculation based off of various hints, not limited to her character, frame and that shield.

1 minute ago, Neolaina said:

The point is, it's confirmed now. Prior, it was speculation based off of various hints, not limited to her character, frame and that shield.

The point is: grrm confirmed something obvious that we've known for years. In other earth-shattering news, GRRM confirmed that big trees grow from small acorns. Stop the presses, vanity fair. 

3 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

I really want to know how she's descended from him. Like the exact family tree, man. I really dig this news anyway cuz i love Dunk and i love Brienne, and i suspected possible connection. 

The best possible explanation that I can think of is that we don't know the exact when Dunk ascended to the KG. As a favored knight by the royal family, there must have been many members of minor nobility that thought it would be a good match. Perhaps some children were born and the wife died, wherein he wouldn't feel guilty about taking KG vows. Alternatively... he was married and put the wife aside, or he had bastards before joining the KG (perhaps before and after).

3 hours ago, Grizzly Mormont said:

The point is: grrm confirmed something obvious that we've known for years. In other earth-shattering news, GRRM confirmed that big trees grow from small acorns. Stop the presses, vanity fair. 

You'd be surprised how many people still didn't believe it up to this point. I've had recent conversation with people who thought "it didn't fit" or it was too obvious, etc..

2 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

You'd be surprised how many people still didn't believe it up to this point. I've had recent conversation with people who thought "it didn't fit" or it was too obvious, etc..

Is that necessarily wrong that someone doesn't believe the same thing you do?

23 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Is that necessarily wrong that someone doesn't believe the same thing you do?

What ? No, I'm saying this to respond to the "who cares about confirmation" argument. It's nice to have some facts to rely on, is all I'm saying. You can be free to think whatever you want.

1 hour ago, Minstral said:

The best possible explanation that I can think of is that we don't know the exact when Dunk ascended to the KG. As a favored knight by the royal family, there must have been many members of minor nobility that thought it would be a good match. Perhaps some children were born and the wife died, wherein he wouldn't feel guilty about taking KG vows. Alternatively... he was married and put the wife aside, or he had bastards before joining the KG (perhaps before and after).

We know he was a part of the KG in 236AC.

Whos to say that Egg didn't admit him immediately in 233AC though? I'm interested to know if this is the case but only a GRRM slip or a Novella will confirm I think.

13 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

We know he was a part of the KG in 236AC.

Whos to say that Egg didn't admit him immediately in 233AC though? I'm interested to know if this is the case but only a GRRM slip or a Novella will confirm I think.

Doubt it is a slip. One of the first lines in of Dunk is wondering whether another knight needs a squire, at which point he stops himself to think. Next thing we know he takes his master's sword and tells about how he is a knight in the next paragraph. I wonder the implication is here.

As much as Dunk tries to emulate chivalry, he is still a character with his own flaws and possible lies.

Still, if the the date he is in the KG at 233, that would still make about forty years old and more than twenty years after the tourney of Ashford. There doesn't seem to be a slip up as he could have easily had a wife during the in that time and had children. It makes the bastard theory much less likely IMO.

4 minutes ago, Minstral said:

Doubt it is a slip. One of the first lines in of Dunk is wondering whether another knight needs a squire, at which point he stops himself to think. Next thing we know he takes his master's sword and tells about how he is a knight in the next paragraph. I wonder the implication is here.

As much as Dunk tries to emulate chivalry, he is still a character with his own flaws and possible lies.

Still, if the the date he is in the KG at 233, that would still make about forty years old and more than twenty years after the tourney of Ashford. There doesn't seem to be a slip up as he could have easily had a wife during the in that time and had children. It makes the bastard theory much less likely IMO.

Eh? I think you have misread me. Dunk is confirmed as KG In 236AC. 

I think it's highly possible that Egg admitted him immediately in 233AC. But the only things that will confirm whether this is so is either a GRRM slip, like a question answered at an event etc, or another Novella. I can't see any other way we can confirm it, we can only say it's highly likely  that as soon as Egg ascended the throne, he admits Dunk to the KG. 

GRRM confirmed what was rather obvious.

1 hour ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Me too!

It is good to have this theory confirmed.

I recently reread the Dunk&Egg novellas and certain similarities in character between Dunk and Brienne are prominent.

Now the big question is how Dunk became a father?

I tend to believe that he fathered a bastard on a lady of House Tarth and the child's true parentage was kept a secret.

Archived