Confirmed: Brienne confirmed descendant of Dunk

ErasmusF

8 minutes ago, Danelle said:

GRRM confirmed what was rather obvious.

Me too!

It is good to have this theory confirmed.

I recently reread the Dunk&Egg novellas and certain similarities in character between Dunk and Brienne are prominent.

Now the big question is how Dunk became a father?

I tend to believe that he fathered a bastard on a lady of House Tarth and the child's true parentage was kept a secret.

I agree it was probably an illegitimate child, else Brienne would know about it ; I mean, if you have a great knight as your ancestor, surely you would tell your children about it.

I also like the theory that he hit it off with one of Egg's sisters, who ended up married to a Tarth (or their child did).

35 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I agree it was probably an illegitimate child, else Brienne would know about it ; I mean, if you have a great knight as your ancestor, surely you would tell your children about it.

I also like the theory that he hit it off with one of Egg's sisters, who ended up married to a Tarth (or their child did).

Absolutely!

If Brienne was aware of her illustrious ancestor then she would have mentioned it.

Or someone else, Randyll Tarly for example, might have said something like-you are an embarassment to your House and no matter how hard you try, you will never be the Ser Duncan of this generation.

Her ancestry would be an asset to Renly's cause as well, since he could boast that a member of his rainbow guard is related to one of the most brave KG knights.

Regarding the theory you mentioned, I think that it is quite plausible.

Ιt probably went down like this: Dunk having an affair with one of Maekar's daughters, she gets pregnant and marries Lord Tarth.

Archived