Why isn't the Crown marching on Dorne?

On May 31, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Duncan I Targaryen said:

This has probably been talked about extensively somewhere but if so I haven't found it through a quick search. 

Jaime knows the Sand Snakes took out Myrcella - you really mean to tell me that Cersei isn't mustering every army possible to send down to Sunspear to go Rains of Castamere on the Martells/Sand Snakes?  

Instead we're forgetting about all that and sending Jaime to Riverrun? What the actual seven hells is going on here?!? 

Because no one , not even AEGON THE CONQUEROR, has conquered Dorne.  And he had 3 big ass dragons.  So a war weary Lannister army led by 1 Hand Jamie and Kevan ain't gonna do it either. 

1) Cersei has no power - The army/state is Kevan and Olenna's and they're currently dealing with a brewing civil war in the city with the Faith Militant and can't really spare sending a battered army down south.

2) Dorne is a biiiiooootch to conquer - Combined with the domestic problems, an invasion of Dorne would be quite difficult. Dragons didn't even have a ton of success w/ the whole thing.

3) D&D wanted to wash their hands of Dorne

Because not even the characters themselves want to touch that mess with a ten foot pole.

And yes, it is dumb that they're sending troops to the Riverlands instead. You know, the Riverlands, where they have the Freys to help them. They may be useless weasels but they can hold a siege against an old man, surely.

The Crown has no legs in Dorne, however, so that's a more pressing threat. I give them a pass because they were dealing with the High Sparrow, but now that they're all friends, supposedly, Jaime and Mace and his fancy armor should join forces against the next common enemy, which is Dorne. Heck, they should tell the HS to send some Lancels down there, he'd have enough victims to stage a Walk of Shame a day.  

Let me educate you armchair generals! :P

Dorne is a whole f*cking princedom, notoriously difficult to subdue, with her people united (apparently) behind the sand snakes. It will take a whole bloody war to attempt to bring Dorne back in to the fold, even then it may not be enough. The crown does not have the manpower, or leadership, or money, or the willpower to undertake such a venture, especially with a spineless child for a king, with a divided small council, and both the Queen and Dowager Queen facing trial, and now the Riverlands uprising.

Riverlands is a significantly minor challenge - a small bunch of people holed up in one castle.

Ellaria was going to march on KL wasn't she? Wasn't that what the coup was all about because Doran (perceivably) did nothing? She wants war.

The sand snakes had already stowed away & could do their jobs (whatever that may be) without the coup. So what is the coup for if not to declare war & march?

I'm not looking forward to that storyline.

The worst thing is, if the Dornish storyline merges with Danys (when Dany invades) is Danys storyline going to become crap as well by association? Unless she lays waste to Dorne - job done. However, even that is not without its drawbacks as its not logical to destroy a potential ally. I unfortunately foresee Dorne & Dany merging & hating the storyline. At least it will serve to allign the audience with the North against Dany who will now be viewed clearly as a protagonist warmonger (like Ellaria) if that is what it comes to. 

7 hours ago, 20goodHoldtheDoors said:

I would not be the least bit shocked, or disappointed, if we never see TV Dorne again LOL

"Weak men will never rule Dorn again."  

The End

Ditto. Show Dorne was shit, every episode that goes by that we don't catch wind of it is a mercy.

Still can't believe they managed to introduce Hotah and didn't let him use his axe a single time.

10 hours ago, CockroachCaptain said:

Ditto. Show Dorne was shit, every episode that goes by that we don't catch wind of it is a mercy.

Still can't believe they managed to introduce Hotah and didn't let him use his axe a single time.

:rofl:  I know right???!!!!

No axe action, AND his death was even worse than my boy Ser Barry's demise.....  I remember before the "Dorne debut" I read an article featuring most of the "Weapons of Dorne," Big let down that it turned out Hotah's steel was nothing more than some petty (although very pretty) eye candy

On 6/1/2016 at 4:18 PM, Dragon in the North said:

Dorne was able to withstand Aegon the Conqueror, so launching an army against them may be suicidal. It's much smarter to wait for Ellaria to make the first move, taking away her home field advantage.

I guess that makes Show Ellaria even dumber, really, really dumb.

She killed the rest of the Martell family, and Myrcella and still she hasn't gotten the war she wanted.  All that kinslaying for nothing.

1. the crown has its hands full at the moment.  I thought that was made clear in the first episode when Jaime and Cersei have their exchange on the subject.

2. isn't Dorne notoriously difficult to invade?

3. I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed later that there is something subtle going on behind the scenes regarding Dorne.

Doesnt Dorn have a rather Large army? 

Not really possible to rally all your banners, when half the kingdom is in open rebelion.  Take your army out of KL, and you lose KL...  

I'm sure the real reason we haven't gotten more follow-up is because of how big of a failure the Dorne plot was.  I mean, I can't find one person, book reader or tv show watcher only, who liked Dorne.  Hence the show responding this year by essentially giving up and wiping the slate clean.

I think at some point we will have to return to Dorne, but the show is in no rush to get back there.

From the tv show (and book logic), it is clear though that in-universe, there are numerous reasons the Lannisters are not invading Dorne.  Mainly, they have their own stuff to deal with (i.e. the Faith Militant in King's Landing, the Tyrell army trying to exert itself, and the situation in the Riverlands with Blackfish, the Brotherhood, and other assorted War of 5 Kings holdovers), and Dorne has a reputation for being difficult to conquer. 

1 minute ago, Tagganaro said:

I'm sure the real reason we haven't gotten more follow-up is because of how big of a failure the Dorne plot was.  I mean, I can't find one person, book reader or tv show watcher only, who liked Dorne.  Hence the show responding this year by essentially giving up and wiping the slate clean.

I think at some point we will have to return to Dorne, but the show is in no rush to get back there.

From the tv show (and book logic), it is clear though that in-universe, there are numerous reasons the Lannisters are not invading Dorne.  Mainly, they have their own stuff to deal with (i.e. the Faith Militant in King's Landing, the Tyrell army trying to exert itself, and the situation in the Riverlands with Blackfish, the Brotherhood, and other assorted War of 5 Kings holdovers), and Dorne has a reputation for being difficult to conquer. 

I will forever think it was totally bizarre that the killed off the better actors and characters and kept the worst ones, especially if we're not going to see Dorne again.

At the very least the Lannisters should be talking about sending spies/assassins/mercenaries to kidnap or kill the sand snakes and ellaria, if they supposedly can't send any troops.

Of course, it's odd, they're sending the army to the riverlands to help the freys oust the blackfish...when all the tullys did was attempt to leave the kingdom...where ellaria murdered the princess.

I guess the days when Tywin started a war to get Tyrion, who he hated, back safe are long gone in the showverse.  LMAO.

Just now, Darksky said:

If people only paid more attention and used common sense, the nitpicks and questions would reduce by half at least.

Common sense says that if the Lannisters do not react to the murder of Princess Myrcella in some way.... they will lose power because no one will fear them anymore.  The end.

16 minutes ago, Xarkar said:

Doesnt Dorn have a rather Large army? 

Not really possible to rally all your banners, when half the kingdom is in open rebelion.  Take your army out of KL, and you lose KL...  

Dorne is reputed to have a large army.  They were also notoriously difficult for the Targayans to conquer.  Both are good to deter a potential invasion. 

8 minutes ago, Gendry_Goldeneyes said:

regardless of whether or not dorne is hard to invade and their army is the only one untouched by war besides the vale, its sloppy writing that no one gives a fuck

Here they are, not giving a fuck.

https://youtu.be/758t29dc1_E

Cersei and Jaime wanted to react hence that scene with the Small Council. They spelled it out for the viewers. Guess many just barely paid attention to what was happening.  But Kevan's in charge now and he has other, more important, business to tend to. I doubt he even cared about Myrcella. He doesn't seem to care for Cersei and Jaime. He's tight with the Tyrells, and they are busy with the HS and his minions now. Tommen is being manipulated left right and centre, and is also occupied with wanting to get Margaery back. Even if they wanted to do something about Dorne, they haven't had time to make any plans. Now also Riverrun mess is keepinig them distracted,

It seems  like some people want everything to be resolved/pieces to be moved in an episode or two. But then they complain about things being rushed. Hypocrisy. Go figure.

There's patience for the dragged out book storylines and the author taking forever to release a book but no patience for a show with episodes coming out every week and seasons coming out every year. Go figure.

Archived