Euro Cup 2016

This time I will embrace self-determination and choose my own team.  I'm tired of drawing minnows and feeling compelled to watch boring games, unfamiliar players and early exits.  I could just watch England and get familiar players.

But the big, big question is whether we'll all follow the Euros and the Copa America at the same time?  I'll need an avatar to reflect my dual support.  Germany/Argentina: sounds like an ex-Nazi hiding from the Shoah foundation.  Brazil/Italy: sounds effortlessly cool and stylish but very corrupt, plus Dunga and bunga bunga has great alliteration but a horrible, horrible image.  Venezuela/Greece: cluster fucks.  

You can count me in. Normally I would support Romania, but I have very little faith in them. And I intend to watch as many Euro matches as possible, and Copa America, too, if I can manage it. It will be a good month and a half.

16 minutes ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

What is this "assigned teams" thing? Can someone explain?

Since 2008 (I think), for each world and euro cup, board members have entered a draw where you get assigned a national team. For the duration of the competition, you have to be as enthusiastically patriotic to your assigned team as possible. Not compulsory, but good fun.

I'm in, BTW.

Count me in as well. We've just lost a friendly to Netherlands, so I don't think we'll manage to reach play-offs. It would be nice to have at least a chance to support a team that could actually win this, for a change.

I'll play.  Also, did you guys know that in World Cup 2010, Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014, my teams are undefeated?  It's true, we have been morally superior in every match. 

OK, I have not followed the EPL, but seeing only one player from the champs selected for the English squad is a bit puzzling to me. Has Leicester City followed the Man City model of relying heavily on foreign players? And I see a bunch of Everton and Liverpool players, but those teams didn't do so great this year.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

OK, I have not followed the EPL, but seeing only one player from the champs selected for the English squad is a bit puzzling to me. Has Leicester City followed the Man City model of relying heavily on foreign players? And I see a bunch of Everton and Liverpool players, but those teams didn't do so great this year.

Yes, most of Leicester's key players have been cheap imports who did far better than expected. Although they have a decent number of Englishmen in their squad, most are not of an international standard. Other than Vardy, only Drinkwater (who was the last player cut from the England squad) and Albrighton would have been sensible selections. A few more of their players may have been selected, but they chose other countries to play for internationally, despite being England eligible.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

This time I will embrace self-determination and choose my own team.  I'm tired of drawing minnows and feeling compelled to watch boring games, unfamiliar players and early exits.  I could just watch England and get familiar players.

But the big, big question is whether we'll all follow the Euros and the Copa America at the same time?  I'll need an avatar to reflect my dual support.  Germany/Argentina: sounds like an ex-Nazi hiding from the Shoah foundation.  Brazil/Italy: sounds effortlessly cool and stylish but very corrupt, plus Dunga and bunga bunga has great alliteration but a horrible, horrible image.  Venezuela/Greece: cluster fucks.  

I don't think Brazil's really going to try for the Copa America. Neymar's only playing in the Olympics.

Archived