2016 NBA FINALS - Runnin' it Back

Relic

It's incredible that the finals are starting ALREADY. TONIGHT. 

I'll have to stay up till 2 am just to start watching this, but i got big plans baby, big plans.  

I am also excited for the Finals, although I am going to miss game 1 for ultimate practice.  I'm really curious how much better this Cleveland team is than last year's team.  Because last year they nearly swept the first three games by going big, clogging the paint and putting in the best defensive lineup they could.  The problem was that the offense was all Lebron, all the time, and GSW gradually wore him down.  The offense will be much better with Irving and Kyrie, the question is how much Cleveland's defense suffers having them on the court. 

Thompson, Curry and Green were all better players this year than last, and I think that is plenty to prevent Cleveland from winning the series.  If Curry is himself, this Warriors team is too much for Cleveland.  Cleveland cannot match the GSW smallball lineups the way OKC can, their bigs and Irving don't defend well enough.  But I'm not convinced Curry is indeed himself.  Most of the heroics last series was Thompson first and then Curry.  I think that Curry at 80% is probably still enough to win the series, but I think it will be close.  I'll predict a very very exhausted Warriors in 7. 

Short of Channing Frye continuing to shoot 62% from 3 (!), I have the Warriors winning in 6. If the Thunder playing like athletic titans descended from Mt. Olympus can't beat this Warriors team, I don't think it can be done. And if that's proven wrong, well fuck, that'll be fascinating in its own right and be like a 2004 Red Sox level fitting end to the Cleveland curse.

TL;DR version: both are amazing offensive teams but the Warriors just have more defensive stalwarts to throw at Cleveland (i.e.: Igoudala on Lebron, Klay Thompson on Kyrie) and at least have a chance of slowing them down without disrupting their offensive flow. 

I'm probably also going to miss game 1 which sucks. The entire tone of Warriors-Thunder was set in that first game so huge game tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Cleveland game 7 loss by 1 point after Kevin Love misses a foul shot and Anderson Varejao drills a game-winning 3, confirmed.

This is all wrong simply because Love will not be playing much at all in the 4th quarters. Now get in the new thread!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I got the Warriors in 6. Kyrie is literally the worst defensive PG in the NBA and I have no idea how the Cavs will be able to keep Love on the court.

Derrick Rose....even before all of his injuries.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is all wrong simply because Love will not be playing much at all in the 4th quarters. Now get in the new thread!

You can NOT STOP THE INEVITABLE!

29 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Derrick Rose....even before all of his injuries.

I heard that Kyrie ranked 80th out of 81 qualifying PGs in overall defense. Is Rose that one guy he was better than? 

30 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

You can NOT STOP THE INEVITABLE!

You're right. You can't stop the inevitable sucking of Love.

Seriously though, who is he going to guard? He matches up terribly with the Warriors main line ups.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I heard that Kyrie ranked 80th out of 81 qualifying PGs in overall defense. Is Rose that one guy he was better than?

Yes

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're right. You can't stop the inevitable sucking of Love.

Seriously though, who is he going to guard? He matches up terribly with the Warriors main line ups.

In all fairness, outside of Draymond Green, GS doesnt have a ton of defensive titans either, if you know what im saying.

5 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Yes

In all fairness, outside of Draymond Green, GS doesnt have a ton of defensive titans either, if you know what im saying.

It does though. Andre Igoudala is a great defender and so is Klay Thompson. Both are just about everything you want in a wing defender - they're smart, tenacious and they make the guy they're covering earn everything he gets. Each guy is in that mass of players who are close, but didn't quite make the All-NBA defensive teams this past year. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

It does though. Andre Igoudala is a great defender and so is Klay Thompson. Both are just about everything you want in a wing defender - they're smart, tenacious and they make the guy they're covering earn everything he gets. Each guy is in that mass of players who are close, but didn't quite make the All-NBA defensive teams this past year. 

Exactly. Throw Bogut in there and you've got a very good defensive team. Barnes, Livingstone and Ezeli are all above average as well. This team plays very good team defense. 

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Cavs lead early tonight, but lose by 16 in the end.

Yeah I'm thinking something along those lines too. They'll show Kerr at halftime telling everyone to stop pressing and relax and they'll come out on fire in the 2nd half, per usual.

Archived