Can Only View a Handful of Past Posts?

YouSnowNothing

I wanted to browse through some of my old posts, but looking through my profile I can't seem to see them. Though I apparently have made 372 posts (which sounds about right to me, I was reasonably active a few years ago), I can only see 17 listed under my Content. Can anyone help me with this?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/profile/54984-yousnownothing/&do=content&type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

On June 2, 2016 at 8:24 AM, YouSnowNothing said:

I wanted to browse through some of my old posts, but looking through my profile I can't seem to see them. Though I apparently have made 372 posts (which sounds about right to me, I was reasonably active a few years ago), I can only see 17 listed under my Content. Can anyone help me with this?

(Emphasis mine.)

I take care of the servers; board administration is Ran's bailiwick.  However, I believe that Ran has moved a lot of older and inactive threads out of the active boards, during the time we were trying to shave the forum's resource use down.  So if those posts were in threads that had not been touched in several years, they've probably been stuffed into archives instead.

Ran, can you elaborate?

13 hours ago, Sparks said:

(Emphasis mine.)

I take care of the servers; board administration is Ran's bailiwick.  However, I believe that Ran has moved a lot of older and inactive threads out of the active boards, during the time we were trying to shave the forum's resource use down.  So if those posts were in threads that had not been touched in several years, they've probably been stuffed into archives instead.

Ran, can you elaborate?

I suspected something like this was the case. However, if I search via google ("site:asoiaf.westeros.org YouSnowNothing") I can find many of my old posts, and all the threads are still accessible and seemingly still stored in the same subforum (rather than moved to a special archive area). Therefore, if these posts are still accessible, shouldn't they still be listed under my Activity?

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrected!

I want to echo the confusion above. I completely understand the need to archive content past a certain point on a site like this but I'm trying to find a way to search said archived content for previous posts.

Once upon a time I wrote a spectacular defense of Theon Greyjoy. As things heat up in a debate I am having with my boss on the issue of the character, it sure would be nice to be able to refer to that post again. But alas...exactly zero of my hundreds of old posts are available to locate via search. I assume if I knew the name of the original thread I would be able to find it but...who remembers threads?

This is perhaps my fault for moving to the woods and into a land where high-speed internet access is a laughable dream. Such was the reason for my abrupt departure. But I live on the Island of Palm Trees and Fiber Optic now. I wanted to relive the good times now gone.

Any guidance on searching archived posts, here or via Google, would be greatly accepted.

And if they're gone? I will make my peace with that too. And remember to always make a bookmark in the future.

I'll look into this. I think it may be that we're still indexing content since the last upgrade, although... that seems odd, as it has been awhile. But using site:asoiaf.westeros.org <stuff you want to search> should work in many cases. And possibly using the regular search here, though I can't swear by that.

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, I also found this recently and thought it was a problem - until I found the actual link. If you hit the 'see my activity' on the profile page for a user, you'll get a lot of their posts. I have most of my posts since 2014. 

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, YouSnowNothing said:

So this is a very old post, but did this ever get solved? I really wanted to find an old post, but I can still only see a select number - only one pre-2016. 

Afraid there's no obvious fix to this as of yet. There's supposed to be some search engine improvements with the next version of the forum, which we plan to upgrade to once it's been in release for a bit.

Have you tried a Google search? put in  site:asoiaf.westeros.org "YouSnowNothing" -- you'll see quite a few pages where you name crops up. Add in any term(s) that are relevant to what you're looking for and you should find it if it's still on the board (we do occasionally purge stuff).

Archived