Jump to content
LordImp

Aegon TWOW

Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2016 at 8:33 PM, shadows and dust said:

I could see Aegon "winning" and finishing the series alive and on the IT. Maybe it's not the most likely scenario but it's one to consider.

I see 3 heads of the dragon and I see 3 central conflicts in the book. Jon will have his battle to defeat the night. Danny will have her battle to end slavery and remake Slavers' Bay. Aegon will have his battle for the Iron Throne.

If we see TWOW as setting up the final confrontations, then the book could end by setting up: Jon v The Others, Danny v Volantis, Aegon v Euron*.

TWOW, then would just need to eliminate the other lines or merge them into those 3 battles. This also handles the timeline issue for Danny getting back to Westeros in time for the book to end by ADOS. If Aegon's success makes Danny feel the need to conquer Westeros is less, she can focus on her issues with slavery and go about not being such a tedious read.

 

 

*we joke that Aegon and Euron were kind of late editions to the books to be such central characters. it'd be fitting for them to fight each other. Even more fitting because they'd be late-adds fighting for the original throne, and the originals are fighting for "thrones" added later in the book.

The trouble is, in my humble opinion, that whereas Euron is kind of set of an "Icarus Flight" sort of situation (i.e. he will try to burn so bright that he will get burnt metaphorically), Aegon is flat as a pancake, so far in the books.   "The perfect prince" raises a lot of flags with me.  He is young, untested and massively cocky.  I am yet to see how he puts to use his supposed training as a commoner.  Granted, it could be me not gelling with this character.  Some late comers get my attention but, unless TWOW give us tons on him and how he thinks, feels, etc I am utterly unable to relate to him, even as a minor character.  If he ended up as one of the main 3, definitely burn the books but hey that is just me!  If I met him in real life I would not hate him, however as a literary character is more underdeveloped than the odd servant in an Northern house, say, like a wet nurse with the Umbers or something.  To me it would be hugely anticlimatic to set up this huge Lannister -v- Starks -v- Targaryens to end up (even if genuine) with a Targ we got like 5 paragraphs on period.  If what George is trying to do is making him a huge POV in the last book, say, to me that would be too little too late too.  Plus the guy is not per se charismatic.  He is good at everything but there are no hints at his soul at all... no villain, no hero, no nothing...  I wouldn't hate him as a person at all but I dislike him as a character due to how very underdeveloped he is with only two books to go :)

Euron is a horrible human being but yes, he is a later addition and much more fleshed out and he is dabbling in very dark magic and some even think he is trying to make himself a god.  He is a later addition that one can love to hate.  If Aegon or FAegon were to be his antagonist lot what are we to do with the guys we had from before like Jon, and Bran and his powers and Sam and Tyrion with their brains, Brienne with her sword lol what can Aegon bring to the story???  Should they all just decide to help Aegon the Good or something?  Sorry if my hatred for his literary characterisation offends anyone.  It was not my intention to offend people who like him just my two cents.

Frankly in the Tyrion chapters with him in it the only character I enjoyed was Lemore lol

BTW no disrespect intended to you or anyone who likes this character just my opinion....

Edited by Morgana Lannister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 11:13 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The big question, I think, is his true identity, and whether his claimed identity is widely accepted, and even more importantly, how does he fit into the overall plot of the George's tale. 

We can assume from what we have read so far, and from the leaked 1993 letter from the George to his publisher, that ASOIAF consists of three main conflicts: the Stark-Lannister struggle, the return of The Targaryen, and the struggle with the Others. 

The first conflict was at the heart of the War of the Five Kings. House Stark were the protagonists, and House Lannister were the antagonists, but the lines were blurred by several characters, notably Sansa, at least until the Ned lost his head, and Tyrion, and more recently Jaime after he recued Brienne at Harrenhal. At the end of Storm, which appears to mark the end of the first act of the trilogy that the George originally intended to write but grew in the telling, Petyr Baelish was revealed to be the big bad in the first main conflict. 

The George has strongly suggested that the second conflict will comprise a Second Dance of the Dragons, and that will most likely correspond to the return of The Targaryen. 

And he has suggested that the third conflict will culminate in the prophesied War for the Dawn mentioned by Aemon near the end of Storm. 

Going back to the second main conflict-- the return of The Targaryen and the Second Dance of the Dragons--Daenerys is clearly the protagonist (unless, perhaps, it's Jon). But she needs an antagonist, and it won't be a dance of dragons unless she fights another Targaryen. So, unless it turns out to be a struggle between Daenerys and Jon, Aegon will be the antagonist. But, red or black, a dragon is still a dragon. Unless you think Aegon is the real deal and destined to rule the Seven Kingdoms, he is likely the mummer's dragon--the one that Daenerys saw in the House of the Undying Ones, and the one that the storyteller has introduced for the protagonist to fight. And in a role similar to that of Petyr in the first main conflict, I expect Illyrio and Varys to be revealed as the big bad in the second main conflict. 

I could go with this and this suggests to me, if you are right, that Aegon is a plot device.  As for Varys and Illyrio my tinfoil is that Varys was for Dany all the way but tricked Illyrio into a plan B but that he will die tragically not being believed by Dany (who I believed he backed all the way lol) but of course I did say tinfoil ;)  As long as it is not Aegon on the IT, happy with Old Nanna or anyone! lol :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will either go to Old Town or Riverlands but at the end he will end up in the Wall before taking KL because the news of Others attacking will arrive to south of the Neck. 

I say either Allyria Dayne ((wishful thinking of mine)) or Sansa but never Arianne - there is no gain for Aegon like there was no gain for Viserys too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't thing Aegon will head for KL, he might head for the an attack the lannister -tyrell regime where the regime is weakest(aside from the north)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is just another red herring, to be honest.   I don't think he will factor much into the final events, or we would have seen him on the show.  While some want to think that the show has totally gone off the rails, I think in the end we will find that the main ideas and overall resolution are going to be much the same, simply streamlined.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on Aegon and the Faith Militant is that he needs to prove himself before they decide to back him. Regardless of how both Queen's trials go, as it stands, Aegon's faction is just the grandson of a psyco path, an exiled lord, and an army of cut throat's from Essos who are bringing war to places like the Stormlands that weren't that affected by the previous wars. Advancing on King's Landing would be a bad move. If Stannis couldn't take that city, I don't know who can. The King's Landingers, of all people, remember the Mad Kind's crazyness. A siege would just give them something to unite against. Plus, the High Sparrow isn't going to get behind foreign mercenaries.

If they can save Oldtown from Euron's ironborn, then the Swords and Stars will follow them. And, even with Margery in King's Landing, most Reach Lords will have no choice but to support Aegon, because he's their savior. Maybe they can advance on the West afterwords and take Casterly Rock.

Euron doesn't need to fall though. He might escape. He'll loose more men then he was willing. Not just the kind of men he left to hold the Shields that he didn't care about, along with most of the thralls he would be trying to carry off. The Crow's Eye won't be smiling anymore. But the cut throats who rallied behind him, like Lucas Codd and the Red Oarsmen, will be with him. Almost all of the mutes and monsters he brought over from Essos too. Speaking of them, I think there's more, waiting for him. The world is full of scum who would flock to a guy like him. Outlaws from the Stepstones, Sellsails from the Free Cities, Corsairs from the Basilisk Isles, and maybe even pirates from Dagger Lake and Rhoyne. I predict he'll rendezvous with them en route to King's Landing, and with this fleet, the city is his for the taking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 11:13 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The big question, I think, is his true identity, and whether his claimed identity is widely accepted, and even more importantly, how does he fit into the overall plot of the George's tale. 

We can assume from what we have read so far, and from the leaked 1993 letter from the George to his publisher, that ASOIAF consists of three main conflicts: the Stark-Lannister struggle, the return of The Targaryen, and the struggle with the Others. 

The first conflict was at the heart of the War of the Five Kings. House Stark were the protagonists, and House Lannister were the antagonists, but the lines were blurred by several characters, notably Sansa, at least until the Ned lost his head, and Tyrion, and more recently Jaime after he recued Brienne at Harrenhal. At the end of Storm, which appears to mark the end of the first act of the trilogy that the George originally intended to write but grew in the telling, Petyr Baelish was revealed to be the big bad in the first main conflict. 

The George has strongly suggested that the second conflict will comprise a Second Dance of the Dragons, and that will most likely correspond to the return of The Targaryen. 

And he has suggested that the third conflict will culminate in the prophesied War for the Dawn mentioned by Aemon near the end of Storm. 

Going back to the second main conflict-- the return of The Targaryen and the Second Dance of the Dragons--Daenerys is clearly the protagonist (unless, perhaps, it's Jon). But she needs an antagonist, and it won't be a dance of dragons unless she fights another Targaryen. So, unless it turns out to be a struggle between Daenerys and Jon, Aegon will be the antagonist. But, red or black, a dragon is still a dragon. Unless you think Aegon is the real deal and destined to rule the Seven Kingdoms, he is likely the mummer's dragon--the one that Daenerys saw in the House of the Undying Ones, and the one that the storyteller has introduced for the protagonist to fight. And in a role similar to that of Petyr in the first main conflict, I expect Illyrio and Varys to be revealed as the big bad in the second main conflict. 

I like your analysis actually.  However, although I also think he is fake (but neither himself or JC know it) I don't think that matters ultimately that much for "power resides where people believe it resides..." but if George was going to go for an untested player, we had Robb (who did well in many ways but made huge mistakes too and was more developed than this one.  Not saying that young players will not get a chance.  Hell Dany was very young and has made mistakes but yes I think everything points to him being a plot device to give more major characters "something to fight."  He will have a role though, I think, apart from getting the IT for a bit, he may force some major characters into a line of action, say, that the plot wouldn't allow otherwise (without his input) or something of that ilk, just as a poster above mentioned Oberyn re Tryion...

I totally agree that in the Targaryen plot Varys and Illyrio both are antagonists but I am convinced that Varys is playing Illyrio for his ego and ultimately his money and support but that they both back different "dragons."  But as I am always fond of saying... we shall see...

Now the posts on possible military strategy are great.  I just don't feel I know enough about that sort of thing to make meaningful comments lol  sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m anticipating a protracted and bloody war between Aegon and Euron. Just like Stannis in ACOK, he won’t be able to move on KL until the south is secure, so he’ll need to take the fight to Euron before he takes the throne. Because of the Forsaken I anticipate Euron will win most of his upcoming battles, strand Garlan on the Shields with no ships, smash the Redwyne fleet, and sack Oldtown. I see Aegon getting the support of Dorne and the Faith, Warrior’s sons and poor fellows out of KL joining him under the command of Ser Theodoan Wells, leaving Cersei more or less free to take back power and murder anyone who opposes her within the city. 

Since he has to battle Euron before he can take the throne he’ll need ships and men, mostly stormlanders at first, so I anticipate him offering to legitimize and ennoble Aurane Waters to get his three decker dromonds, and possibly court the support of Salladhor Saan, though Euron will probably win him over more easily by offering him gold from the Arbor. Aurane, who’s set up in the Stepstones if I remember correctly, will probably deliver him Edric Storm similar to how Alyn Oakenfist delivered  Viserys to Aegon III, and with Robert’s son as a hostage, and possibly a puppet lord of Storm’s End, he will bring more men to his cause. 

Mace Tyrell will either stay behind in KL for Margaery’s trial or take the field against Connington, and have thousands of his men cut down by Black Balaq in the kingswood before being soundly defeated by Aegon and Harry Strickland’s elephants, after which Randyll Tarly will abandon Mace, causing Randyll Tarly to defect and join him. I can see the Dornishmen in the Prince’s Pass taking Highgarden and taking Olenna hostage, allowing Aegon to move further south to fight ironborn along the Mander. 

When Dany shows up there will be a big dispute over claims and the second Dance will be on, reducing the Reach to a burned and blackened wasteland, before Dany turns north to fight the Others while Aegon stays behind to fight Euron and gets himself killed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2016 at 3:52 AM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Euron is a horror story invading the fantasy story.

This.

I think Aegon will overthrow the "Baratheon" dynasty and speed the disintegration of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance.

But I think that the forces of Daenerys and Aegon will fight up until the threat the Others pose can no longer be ignored. Aegon stays behind while Daenerys heads north. With Daenerys and almost all of the Targaryen firepower away, Euron and Cersei slide into play, slaughtering Aegon and taking the Iron Throne. Daenerys will catch wind of this and feel guilty for wasting so much time fighting Aegon but her guilt will turn into rage and she'll end up fighting Euron on Aegon's behalf.

Edited by Jabar of House Titan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is my personal theory for Aegon in TWOW:

GRRM writes in circles

 

  • Gregor Clegane squishes baby Aegon's head during the Sack of King's Landing, on the orders of Tywin Lannister
  • A strong Robert Baratheon kills Aegon's father Rhaegar at the Trident, and the loyalists dispersed afterwards

 

In TWOW:

  • Ser Robert Strong is Ser Gregor Clegane reborn ... as a Terminator/Frankenstein's monster
  • Young Griff is Aegon VI Targaryen reborn

In battle, a zombie Robert Strong is sent directly to Aegon on the orders of Cersei Lannister... rushing through Jon Con and his army. Even with sword hits, arrow punctures and being knocked down by elephants a few times, the unstoppable juggernaut Robert Strong arrives in front of an over-confident Aegon and squishes his head. Everyone watches and have an "old shit" moment ... "what the hell do we do now? What are we fighting for now?" Aegon's loyal army just disperses. Jon Con will probably die that same day in his POV chapter after being hammered down by this medieval Terminator. And finally Dorne decides to ally up with Dany.

With this TWOW prediction, it doesn't matter if Young Griff is the real Aegon or fAegon ... Ser-Gregor-Clegane-reborn finishes the job.

If you guys don't think this would happen in TWOW, if you don't think GRRM would waste his time building up Aegon's story to end like that ... think about this: has GRRM spent time building an unique memorable character in ASOIAF, but then suddenly have the Mountain squish that person's head and end his story?

*cough Oberyn cough* Excuse me.

Edited by The Map Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takes KL, becomes betrothed to Arianne, gets persuaded by the HS to go to the Reach to protect the realm from the godless Ironborn. Suceeds in forcing the Ironborn (more because Euron won't give a shit after he gets whatever he wants there and will withdraw) out. Becomes beloved of the realm and KL, earns the backing of the Reach, Dorne and Faith. Dany arrives. He becomes Rhaegal's rider. Dany comes to believe he's fake. The second dance occurs between Dany and him. He falls to Dany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 1:29 AM, Jabar of House Titan said:

This.

I think Aegon will overthrow the "Baratheon" dynasty and speed the disintegration of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance.

But I think that the forces of Daenerys and Aegon will fight up until the threat the Others pose can no longer be ignored. Aegon stays behind while Daenerys heads north. With Daenerys and almost all of the Targaryen firepower away, Euron and Cersei slide into play, slaughtering Aegon and taking the Iron Throne. Daenerys will catch wind of this and feel guilty for wasting so much time fighting Aegon but her guilt will turn into rage and she'll end up fighting Euron on Aegon's behalf.

I like this a lot. I'm starting to think that Euron will be the final villain to be dealt with after the Others . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, LordImp said:

I like this a lot. I'm starting to think that Euron will be the final villain to be dealt with after the Others . 

I agree.

I think Euron is going to use Cersei and then discard her when she has outlived her usefulness and/or when she is no longer a source of entertainment.

I also have my own theory in Euron is a skinchanger and that he was the Three-Eyed Raven's first choice. But Euron fell through or broke bad and the Three-Eyed Raven settled on Bran. Which makes Euron not only an archenemy of Daenerys and the final political villain but also the final/true magical villain that also acts as an archenemy for Bran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2016 at 12:19 PM, Slaysman said:

I think Aegon is the real deal. If I recall correctly Varys did advise Aerys to not open the gates to Lannister forces. I would like to think Varys would have a contingency in place in case Aerys did not listen.

The logistics of baby swapping would not be too difficult for a man like Varys.

I think he may be the real deal as well. JonCon is raising him, I don't think he would have let his honor be so besmirched if Aegon wasn't the real deal. Up until now all we have heard about him thus far is that he was exiled and drank himself to death in the company of sellswords. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope that Aegon doesn’t die.

How ironic would it be that he is in fact the real deal, and that he will get the throne (Henry Tudor style). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 4:44 AM, The Map Guy said:

This is my personal theory for Aegon in TWOW:

GRRM writes in circles

 

  • Gregor Clegane squishes baby Aegon's head during the Sack of King's Landing, on the orders of Tywin Lannister
  • A strong Robert Baratheon kills Aegon's father Rhaegar at the Trident, and the loyalists dispersed afterwards

 

In TWOW:

  • Ser Robert Strong is Ser Gregor Clegane reborn ... as a Terminator/Frankenstein's monster
  • Young Griff is Aegon VI Targaryen reborn

In battle, a zombie Robert Strong is sent directly to Aegon on the orders of Cersei Lannister... rushing through Jon Con and his army. Even with sword hits, arrow punctures and being knocked down by elephants a few times, the unstoppable juggernaut Robert Strong arrives in front of an over-confident Aegon and squishes his head. Everyone watches and have an "old shit" moment ... "what the hell do we do now? What are we fighting for now?" Aegon's loyal army just disperses. Jon Con will probably die that same day in his POV chapter after being hammered down by this medieval Terminator. And finally Dorne decides to ally up with Dany.

With this TWOW prediction, it doesn't matter if Young Griff is the real Aegon or fAegon ... Ser-Gregor-Clegane-reborn finishes the job.

If you guys don't think this would happen in TWOW, if you don't think GRRM would waste his time building up Aegon's story to end like that ... think about this: has GRRM spent time building an unique memorable character in ASOIAF, but then suddenly have the Mountain squish that person's head and end his story?

*cough Oberyn cough* Excuse me.

Yeah, as much as I would like it for Aegon to not die, I think this is the most likely outcome. That being said, would Robert Strong really be that unstoppable? I think more likely scenario is implied in one of preview chapters: notice how Aegon insists on leading from the front? Chances are, he will do the same in his final battle, and will meet Ser Robert Strong in that manner... and yes, get himself killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aldarion said:

That being said, would Robert Strong really be that unstoppable?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure whatever Robert Strong is, Aegon and his army will not be ready for him. It only takes one mistake here and its all over. Who would take Aegon's place & army after he dies? He hasn't made a heir. Unlike Rhaegar's death, the loyalists had Aerys & Viserys to fall back to.

Also, a lot of people questioned the point of Quentyn Martell's POV in ADWD, since he died in the end anyways. Perhaps GRRM is foreshadowing Young Griff's (who is technically a Martell too) story the same way for TWOW ... kill the new character quickly & move on.

I personally think the point of all that is to bring back Aegon the Conqueror's Valyrian sword Blackfrye back to Westeros for some other characters to wield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure whatever Robert Strong is, Aegon and his army will not be ready for him. It only takes one mistake here and its all over. Who would take Aegon's place & army after he dies? He hasn't made a heir. Unlike Rhaegar's death, the loyalists had Aerys & Viserys to fall back to.

 Also, a lot of people questioned the point of Quentyn Martell's POV in ADWD, since he died in the end anyways. Perhaps GRRM is foreshadowing Young Griff's (who is technically a Martell too) story the same way for TWOW ... kill the new character quickly & move on.

I personally think the point of all that is to bring back Aegon the Conqueror's Valyrian sword Blackfrye back to Westeros for some other characters to wield. 

Yeah, that is why I think Aegon's insistence on leading from the front is significant. Robert Strong will not need to defeat a whole army to kill Aegon.

"I want the attack to go ahead... with one change. I mean to lead it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aldarion said:

Yeah, that is why I think Aegon's insistence on leading from the front is significant. Robert Strong will not need to defeat a whole army to kill Aegon.

"I want the attack to go ahead... with one change. I mean to lead it."

Also JonCon was concerned about who Aegon picks as his kingsguard. That will play a role in battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×