Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

48 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Nope. That wasn't even enough to get the ship captain to even look at her when she offered it to him when she was trying to get to Braavos. She had to show him the FM coin to get on.

As to begging in the streets, not likely. She had a lot of money, enough to book a cabin. That's like flying first class nowadays.

It doesn't really matter where she got it, was just a curiosity. Maybe selling cockles while studying the insurance man?

The war is over in that area. Tickets have to be cheaper.

52 minutes ago, Lady Shiera said:

Even if it was possible, doesn't that require someone else involved as well? I mean who would be the one wearing Arya's face and eventually dying? It just seems too much for Arya to pull through just by herself. 

Yes, it does. I don't know how that would work either, that's why I'm not defending this as what really happened. Maybe it was the waif disguised as Arya and Jaqen stabbed her? Still, don't know how that would work either. Maybe it really was Arya and she's going to die... Though there was someone who posted spoilers on reddit that are usually correct and they said the waif tries to kill her but Arya manages to kill the waif instead. But it sounded more as there were a fight and Arya turned the tables instead of what was shown. 
I just think Arya was acting... off. That's the reason I considered not being her.

16 hours ago, WolfQueenArya said:

I just read some interesting theories that Arya has this secret plan, that she used a blood bag or an animal. Or Jaqen is being Arya here because she wasn't acting like her usual self and didn't have Needle. I think if one of these theories is true we will find out during this episode. Maybe we will finally get backstory of the Waif, Jaqen, etc before Arya goes back to Westeros. 

I wonder if this chase will be different scenes broken up. That would be pretty cool and Arya can finally have more screen time, which the character and storyline really need. 

i totally agree!!!  From the begging of the scene it was like it wasnt arya but it was someone else.All her moves and her face expresions the body position... (they actually reminded me of  the waif ) .

Anyway i dont think Arya would be that stupid to run around without taking any precautions because she knew that they would be looking for her . It was a trick to get the waif to attack her  i think that the waif will die very soon (even in the next episode?) and then arya will join the  FM .

30 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Which scene exactly? I'd love to see Gendry!

After she was stabbed, when she's walking amongst the merchants. My brother didn't see anything, but I'm 60% sure. lol.

The theme leading up to the assassination has been 'acting'. 

Arya, just before her assassination, acts "out of character", certainly for someone being pursued. Even her botched hit on Lady Crane seemed stagy. My guess is blood bags under the shirt, and enough knowledge from training to sense which blows to block and which to let through. 

It seems possible that this has all been a set up, a final test for both her and the waif, who showed a lack of neutrality in her spitefulness. If Arya manages to kill the waif,then she proves herself ready, if the waif kills Arya, the waif is vindicated as it proves Arya was not ready. 

After Arya kills the waif, she becomes a FM and is sent of to Westeros on a mission

12 hours ago, WolfQueenArya said:

I just read some interesting theories that Arya has this secret plan, that she used a blood bag or an animal. Or Jaqen is being Arya here because she wasn't acting like her usual self and didn't have Needle. I think if one of these theories is true we will find out during this episode. Maybe we will finally get backstory of the Waif, Jaqen, etc before Arya goes back to Westeros. 

It can't be someone with Aryas face because they would need to skin it off her first wouldn't they?

I'm going back to re-watch the scene again :)

11 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I feel like having her guts spilling out right now is really going to do a number on her parkour skills, so there's some incredible twist coming, that's for sure.  

The stomach is actually just  below the diaphragm, the abdomen (where she was stabbed would contain her large intestine. You bleed out very slowly and agonizingly and of course a knife would cause multiple perforations - that's not including the massive infections from fecal matter spilling into the surrounding area.

Just really bad plotting from the Writers Without a Clue. The WWC.

Maybe somehow this is a test for them both. Whoever wins becomes No one. In that case we can assume Arya wins. It also makes sense for her not to use Needle.

I'm not letting go of the "Arya is the Waif" theory though. Although this would be extremely smart writing from the writers and I'm not used to expect that much. :rolleyes:

Just re-watched & she does move a bit weird - not like the Waif but more like Jaqen. Jaqen is cool, calm & collected just like Arya was. Waif is more stiff. But like i said before, Jaqen can't have her face without peeling it off her first can he? Unless there's some weird glamour? 

Also, after being stabbed she's pretty convincing that she is in pain, shock & doesn't know what to do. I don't think she would be that convincing if she had a blood bag/animal & I'm pretty sure she would avoid crowds.

Waif should die now for not following Jaqens instructions! 

Maybe there is a spell to transfer ones wounds to oneself... ? Arya saved him so now he is repaying his final debt.

Either that or Arya dies & the Waif or Jaqen takes her face for the rest of the series, much to Arya fans disgust & horror!

40 minutes ago, Fexyr said:

After she was stabbed, when she's walking amongst the merchants. My brother didn't see anything, but I'm 60% sure. lol.

I saw him, it's the side of his face! 

But probably not the actual Gendry, just someone who looks a lot like him. :(

So sad. I want to see Gendry. He nice.

There is something twisted about all of this, but one thing I can gaurentee...as a few people have already pointed out in this thread, that *had* to be Arya that got stabbed, because a FM cannot take another persons face unless they are dead.  That would mean Arya is already dead, which makes zero sense.

So that *was* Arya and The Waif.  The real question now is...was that blood just a blood bag from the acting troupe and Arya was "acting" as if she died?  Or did Arya *really* get stabbed but miraculously survives it?

My money is that Arya really did get stabbed, because how would Arya know that The Waif was specifically going to stab her in the stomach?  Mighty fine coincidence there.  Also, the preview shows the Waif looking around, as if she's a little shocked Arya is alive still.  The boat is leaving for Westeros the next morning, so things have to happen pretty darn quickly.  Which means...the real mystery here is how does Arya heal from her wounds so quickly?  I don't know of anyone in Essos that has any sort of hardcore healing magic.

So that's my question on all this.  How does Arya kill The Waif and heal from those Wounds?

40 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Just re-watched & she does move a bit weird - not like the Waif but more like Jaqen. Jaqen is cool, calm & collected just like Arya was. Waif is more stiff. But like i said before, Jaqen can't have her face without peeling it off her first can he? Unless there's some weird glamour? 

Also, after being stabbed she's pretty convincing that she is in pain, shock & doesn't know what to do. I don't think she would be that convincing if she had a blood bag/animal & I'm pretty sure she would avoid crowds.

Waif should die now for not following Jaqens instructions! 

Maybe there is a spell to transfer ones wounds to oneself... ? Arya saved him so now he is repaying his final debt.

Either that or Arya dies & the Waif or Jaqen takes her face for the rest of the series, much to Arya fans disgust & horror!

This isn't Jaqen though- he says this at the beggining- he is simply using a glamour to appear as Jaqen.

9 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

as a few people have already pointed out in this thread, that *had* to be Arya that got stabbed, because a FM cannot take another persons face unless they are dead.

When "Jaquen" drank poison and died and Arya starts peeling faces off of him one of the faces is hers.

So what are the mechanics of it? Maybe regular guys have to die before the FM can wear their face but a FM trainee like Arya is already "in the system" as it were. Maybe she already GAVE them her face and didn't even know it.

Or maybe it's a slightly different technique. In the books it's clear that there are many different ways the FM do their thing.

17 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

When "Jaquen" drank poison and died and Arya starts peeling faces off of him one of the faces is hers.

So what are the mechanics of it? Maybe regular guys have to die before the FM can wear their face but a FM trainee like Arya is already "in the system" as it were. Maybe she already GAVE them her face and didn't even know it.

Or maybe it's a slightly different technique. In the books it's clear that there are many different ways the FM do their thing.

I'm chalking it up as the show making another idiotic blunder.  Much like all the traveling worm-holes that seem to exist in the North.

3 hours ago, Destiny's Warrior said:

Wait, are we really questioning miraculous healing in the show when people are being resurrected and half dead zombie humans are running about? 

I'm really for the Waif being Arya though. I like that. 

Ha!  Good point but yeah, I guess I am going to be annoyed if she is jumping off rooftops after getting stabbed like that (assuming it was her). Within the show canon, I would be more accepting of her dying and getting resurrected than an immediate "non-magical" recovery.  Again, it just seems sloppy: if the plan is for her to recover and start jumping/fighting, then why not just write the scene with the first, not-as-serious, slash but her instincts/training help her parry the rest of the attack (note the headbutt she used to escape the Waif's grasp).  

But the frustration with these specifics is indicative of the larger narrative concern: it really seems like she has not learned any significant skills (quite the opposite of the books) and will be heading back to Westeros basically as the same Arya when she left.  That's OK, I suppose, but it pales in comparison to where GRRM has taken her development thus far in the books.  The Arya there is on the verge of being able to wipe out all the Freys at dinner one night without batting an eyelash. 

Of course, maybe this all goes in a different direction - I hope so, but I thought it would after episode 6 and here we are, deeper in the narrative hole...

Archived