Arya vs. the Waif

WolfQueenArya

2 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

The stomach is actually just  below the diaphragm, the abdomen (where she was stabbed would contain her large intestine. You bleed out very slowly and agonizingly and of course a knife would cause multiple perforations - that's not including the massive infections from fecal matter spilling into the surrounding area.

Just really bad plotting from the Writers Without a Clue. The WWC.

There's more to this than might otherwise appear.  Otherwise it makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, chasing the dragons said:

Those stab wounds the Waif gave Arya are deep and in 2016 America you may die from those types of wounds, feeling disappointed that Arya was able to maneuver so deftly after such an attack. She should be in shock from blood loss and going septic from the gut puncture. 

She was just fine in the water and coming on up out of it.

It’s only when other people were watching her that she behaved as though she were mortally injured.

Well, that Braavosi river water looked pretty clean  so maybe her tumble into the drink disinfected her wounds.

OR.......... The knife she was stabbed with just came out of a fire, therefore, the wounds would be cauterized, then the Braavosi clean river water disinfects the wounds.

OR.......... When Jaqen H says "She has many gifts" maybe he can tell that she has wolverine blood in her and she can heal quickly like Logan of the X-men.

OR........ 

3 hours ago, Fexyr said:

After she was stabbed, when she's walking amongst the merchants. My brother didn't see anything, but I'm 60% sure. lol.

So glad I'm not the only one seeing Gendry everywhere - in the opening scene someone was standing next to an anvil hammering nails and wearing a similar leather shirt I think Gendry was wearing, so I thought "he's back!". Now I really hope not, elsewise it's R.I.P. Gendry.

There are a lot of interesting theories floating around, but there are some holes too (stab wound joke?)

Arya is fake, Jaqen is Arya in disguise testing Waif

Do we have confirmation that this FM wearing Jaqen's face is the same one from Westeros? This could be his true face, but if it's one from the Hall of Faces the other FM would have access to it too once it was returned. Actually...nevermind. His preferential behavior towards Arya supports the former more.  

Why would Jaqen go through the trouble of glamouring himself and getting fake-stabbed? I assume that's how it would work since Arya's face has yet to be harvested, and surely there are better ways of testing without potentially losing two operatives.

Where is Arya during all of this? Is she in on the deception? From a narrative standpoint, a confrontation with the Waif would still happen, making Jaqen's test kind of ineffectual if the Waif can continue to pursue Arya without his intervention. 

Arya is feigning weakness, possibly has some protection under clothes.

Why parade herself bleeding through the streets if this is the case? The Waif seemed satisfied that she was dead in the water. Doing so would only renew the Waif's efforts. She'd probably run across other FM too. 

Arya would have to know the method of her attempted murder to protect her gut. She could have just as easily been poisoned, have her throat slit, or have been stabbed anywhere else. 

Is Arya trying to lure the Waif somewhere to duke it out? Not having Needle handy is a big risk. So is letting yourself get stabbed instead of fighting with any weapon of your own. 

Arya is actually stabbed, saved by third party

Given the show's recent track record, they tend to veer towards the more straightforward/face-value solution, meaning she could very well have been stabbed for realsies. Seeing as how Arya is unlikely to fight back in this condition, how is she going to escape now? Help from someone is what I'm guessing. People have suggested Gendry, which wouldn't be too far off. The show is pretty lax with characters running into each other despite the extreme unlikelihood (Brienne happening upon both Stark girls and a dying Stannis, Jorah and Daario finding a single ring in the middle of the continent leading to Dany, Bran running into Jon on his way north, etc.). Syrio and Jaqen have been presented as other alternatives. 

If this is the case, Arya's actions seem really out of character. Not having Needle, flaunting wealth, casually strolling down the street, smiling at grannies.She is a very suspicious girl by nature, and knowing that she double crossed the FM would make her even moreso. 

Arya is actually stabbed, beats Waif by herself

Blood loss. So much.

Arya is actually stabbed and is just gonna die

IMO "POV" characters are usually killed off when they converge with other POV characters (or at least characters from other plotlines). This is usually the case because there are other people in the same setting that can pick up from where the dead character left off. 

Ned: Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Cersei

Cat (with Robb): Arya+Hound

Jon: Davos+Melisandre

Stannis (not book POV but definitely show POV): Brienne, Sansa, Theon

Right now Arya's storyline is independent all other major POVs, so I don't see her dying here. If she does, her entire storyline would have contributed squat to the overall plot unlike the other dead POVs, and there'd be no one to pick up where she left off. None of the other characters would be aware of her death so there'd be no aftermath. 

I'm going with the Jaquen theory. He still owes her for saving his life in the fire (yes, I know, three deaths, three lives, yada yada. Well, then he owes his life to one of the lives he killed for her, or whatever). The point is, the waif thinks she's killed Arya, so she gives up the chase until she realizes JH is dead and she pieces it all together. By then, though, Arya is  out to sea, so the waif sets out in pursuit, and she either will or will not kill Arya in the end, but not before Arya has settled some scores of her own.

Would be nice to setup a poll here, to see how many people think that

1) it was a straight play and it was Arya trying to nonchalantly escape Braavos, getting stabbed by the Waif and barely surviving,

2) It was a trick by real Arya, trying to catch and setup the Waif for something and

3) it was fake Arya getting stabbed and real Arya is alive and well right now 

And then see who was right

I think people need to remember that in the synopsis for this episode, they state that Arya is not alone. I would probably say this is the Cersi from the Theatre troup, helping her get away from the waif in the chase. We don't know anyone else who would know of Arya based in Bravos at the moment im assuming?

No matter how she survives, I just really don't see Arya joining the FM and becoming no one for good- after the scene where she reclaimed Needle, it seems like she's going to reclaim her identity as Arya Stark and head back to Westeros. I mean, I could be wrong, that's just what I'm hoping will happen :lol:

6 hours ago, Destiny's Warrior said:

Wait, are we really questioning miraculous healing in the show when people are being resurrected and half dead zombie humans are running about? 

I'm really for the Waif being Arya though. I like that. 

Yes but those miraculous healings all were set up by earlier episodes.  beric dondarrion (resurrection) and talking about Old Nan and her stories (white walkers, CoTF, etc)  But I have yet to see someone get stabbed three times and then be all jumping around nimbly bimbly the next episode.  The hound is still limping ya dig? 

1 hour ago, The Dark Wing That Ducks said:

Yes but those miraculous healings all were set up by earlier episodes.  beric dondarrion (resurrection) and talking about Old Nan and her stories (white walkers, CoTF, etc)  But I have yet to see someone get stabbed three times and then be all jumping around nimbly bimbly the next episode.  The hound is still limping ya dig? 

The faceless men are experts at bringing about death, maybe they know something about healing as the other side of the coin- like the maesters in reverse.

I think she'll go to the house of black and white, where mortally wounded people go to end suffering. That at least has clear foundation. It's what the temple is for. I think the cure is going to come from Jaquen. 

Jaqen told the Waif to make sure she doesnt suffer.

When she stabs Arya they zoom in then show her twist the blade.   Seems to me like they were focusing on that.  IE Waif is trying to make her suffer.

I think we will find out she either A never got stabbed, or B is healed very fast somehow in the fountain etc.

Those wounds were not small, there is no way she is running around jumping off buildings next episode after just taking what 3-4 stab wounds to the chest.

Also at the end when she is walking down the street, it looked to me like she wanted everyone to see her.  Why?  The Waif just tried to kill you, and o walk out in the open?    Unless she is hoping Jaqen finds her?

Watch Arya's facial expressions on the section from 1:08 until she jumps into the canal.

When the knife comes out and she is first stabbed, she reacts overly surprised, innocent of the idea anyone would attack her. She then shows shock and pain, but at 1:19 that all changes and Arya takes control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBZtRJeFb4&feature=player_embedded

She allowed this to happen

Archived