Jaime turning on Brienne

Jaime4Brienne

In next week's preview it looks like Jaime fights Brienne for Cersie. Even if you don't believe that Jaime loves Brienne after all they've been through I could NEVER see him turning on her like that. She saved his life! (and he saved hers). 

I am SO sad at the thought of this. They have taken Jaime's redemption arc and...well basically they forgot all about it last season and it's like the whole trip with Brienne never happened.

If Jaime and Brienne fight each other for Cersie I will be done with this show. (I know a lot of people say that over every little thing but it will be the straw that broke the camel's back).

I am not sure what to think of this. I mean, Brienne served Renly and Catelyn, and now serves Sansa. Jaime always served his family and Cersei's cunt. Jaime and Brienne's friendship and/or alliance never stood a chance with these bearings on their shoulders.

However, as for the "fight", I think it is rather one of those fights two of them have - where they fight a lot, yell a lot, then hatefully admit it makes no sense to kill each other. Except, now there is, otherwise, they betray their loyalties. Remember, Brienne is there to rally Riverrun, who is under siege of Lannisters, while the Lord of Riverrun is captive of Frey's who are Lannister allies. If Jaime redemption was ever to take place - now is his chance. Betray Cersei and the Boy King, kill the Freys, and rally with Brienne and Blackfish to the North - wait, how would north welcome him? Yeah, that is my point - he can't go back, his redemtion went as far as it could, everything else is suicidal. But, he is now the Lord of Casterly Rock, and who would refuse his golden helping hand?

Also, my view on Jaime's redemption is that his change of heart was only to show us that he is not all that bad and that he can be also a hero, but his tragic decision making throughout his life led him to where he is. He is a negative character in the bigger picture, people seem to be forgetting that, because this is the story of the Stark and Targaryan children, the ones who will be victors in the end. 

Don't misunderstand me, I like Jaime too, but his chance of redemption was doomed from the beginning because in order to do so, he needed to confront Cersei. He will in the books, I think.

I don't think the bit where Brienne is talking to Jamie and the one where he is talking about Cersei are the same scene. I don't think it's Brienne he's talking to in the second part either, we don't know what the context of any of that is. I think it's premature to suggest that conflict is coming between Jamie and Brienne (though it's certainly not premature to mourn Jamie's redemption arc). Give it time; for me, everything in Riverrun so far has shown promise.

I don't think they'll fight each other to be honest.  If they do, it'll be brief.  

I don't think it's the end of Jaime's redemption arc, either.  I think Cersei is going to wind up doing something in Kings Landing while Jaime is away that he doesn't approve of, and when he comes back, the two will wind up splitting again.

4 hours ago, Jaime4Brienne said:

In next week's preview it looks like Jaime fights Brienne for Cersie. Even if you don't believe that Jaime loves Brienne after all they've been through I could NEVER see him turning on her like that. She saved his life! (and he saved hers). 

I am SO sad at the thought of this. They have taken Jaime's redemption arc and...well basically they forgot all about it last season and it's like the whole trip with Brienne never happened.

If Jaime and Brienne fight each other for Cersie I will be done with this show. (I know a lot of people say that over every little thing but it will be the straw that broke the camel's back).

I understand you completely.  I am such a big fan of Jaime and Brienne's chapters in the book that it hurts watching the show at this point.  It is really hard for me to separate the two even though I know they are two different beast.  A lot of people keep saying that this story is all about the Starks and the Targs "winning" in the end and that Jaime will somewhat always be labelled as a bad guy, or at least on that "team," while showing a human side to him.  I can see where they are coming from, but I truly hope that Jaime escapes from the politics that he cannot stand and becomes his own man, looking towards Brienne as a sign of hope, and maybe even love.  Most people believe he will end up back with Cersei to finish their story together, but I really hope that does not happen.  I think in the books it maybe possible, but the show I really doubt it, they have not done the book Jaime much justice at this point, granted it probably is not an easy task.  Removing the dialogue with Tyrion about Lancel, Kettleblack, & Moonboy, really hurt the character, he has been really bland after his season with Brienne.

Here is hoping that they do some justice, and I hope George brings him around!  The golden hand of Just! 

3 hours ago, Montoo said:

Where do you see them fighting? I don't see them fighting.

Sorry...I think I meant it LOOKED like they'd be fighting...I sincerely hope they don't though! All the posts have been very good and given me something to think about!

Lets not forget that in the book the Blackfish escapes without a fight. No reason to believe that can't happen again in the show. I mean, the book offer was to let his men take the black while he surrenders(escapes). Brienne will let the Blackfish know about Sansa and Jon and the WW(I hope) and he will arrange the truce with Jaime. This would keep Jaime and Brienne from fighting.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Lets not forget that in the book the Blackfish escapes without a fight. No reason to believe that can't happen again in the show. I mean, the book offer was to let his men take the black while he surrenders(escapes). Brienne will let the Blackfish know about Sansa and Jon and the WW(I hope) and he will arrange the truce with Jaime. This would keep Jaime and Brienne from fighting.

I totally agree with is idea. I think it will go the way the books go, just insert Brienne into the picture,

Spoiler

maybe make it look like her idea to make a deal w/ Edmure and send him back into RR as Jaime did in the books.

The fight will most likely be diplomatically avoided. 

I don't see them fighting, although that is clearly what the preview is implying.

I think the Blackfish will surrender the castle and go help his family (Jon and Sansa), because he will realize the importance of a unified north. I also think or rather hope that Jaime will help them eventually...

Brienne represents Jaime's redemption arc, whereas Cersei represents his tainted past. 

I love that the show is trying to play both of those angles to his character against one another. 

My prediction = Cersei, who is beginning to really lose it at King's Landing, is going to inevitably unleash the hound, which will cause chaos, and that will lead to (somehow) Tommen dying (probably Marg as well). 

In her grief, Cersei will lose it, and do something silly - probably burn down King's Landing with Wildfire ? (Remember - In Bran's vision montage, we saw a Wildfire explosion, even though we know that Jaime stopped the Mad King before the wildfire was lit: foreshadowing?). 

Jaime, realizing what Cersei has become, will tragically but out of necessity, kill Cersei, completing his redemption arc, eliminating Cersei from the picture, and leaving the Iron Throne vacant for whoever eventually wins it in the show's end game. 

Hi everyone, I was personally under the impression that Jaime's line about Cersei was in conversation with Edmure... We know from the books that they are supposed to have a chat and Jaime should be nasty to him.

But I also think that Jaime and Brienne will actually end up being in conflict after this episode and possibly will fight each other in the future. It's quite clear from the preview video: Brienne comes to Jaime and probably reminds him of his oath to Lady Catelyn not to hurt the Tullys or Starks, maybe asks him to help Sansa in the North too - Jaime sends Brienne to make reason with the Blackfish then - Brienne escapes with the Blackfish - Jaime must necessarily be pissed.

15 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

Judging from the trailer (frame by frame), the blackfish gives Brienne his valyrian sword and sends her and Pod off on a boat. Looks like the Tullys will not be joining the Starks. Meh.

Eh, if the Blackfish had a valyrian sword, we would have heard about it 3 seasons ago.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

If Jaime is gonna regain his honor and redeem himself, this is the time.

Well, the time was two seasons ago, but I guess they could still try ; but then, why would he be so up Cersei's arse this late in the story ?

4 hours ago, Daemos said:

I don't see them fighting, although that is clearly what the preview is implying.

I think the Blackfish will surrender the castle and go help his family (Jon and Sansa), because he will realize the importance of a unified north. I also think or rather hope that Jaime will help them eventually...

From reading posts on here about the books, it seems like most people felt the Blackfish would surrender and leave Riverrun - most likely to help Sansa in the north.  However, after seeing his attitude in the past episode, I find it hard to believe that he will just pack up and run.  He seemed pretty adamant that he will not give up that castle without giving his life.  Something major would have to happen for him to change his mind.

Archived