Why would Brotherhood without banners kill all those people

SaChr222

I am going with the "they are R'hollor fanatics" explanation, because their religion was even explicitly mentioned by Sandor and they gave the Septon some special treatment by hanging him in the sept under construction.

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

I love how most people seem to forget they lose their way in AFFC's.

People also seem to forget the books don't equal the show. Characters will have different motivations so complaining "B-b-b-but that's what they'd do!" is pretty pointless. 

Lem could have arranged that massacre because they worshipped the seven and not red R'hllor. 

43 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

They do lose their way, but they don't seem to murder the smallfolk.

Nope they only ransomed hostages and then killed the hostage and the person paying the ransom. They only tried to murder someone for the crime of poring wine for a Lannister. They only had prisoners die from dehydrationin birdcages. 

Yea, this totally seems above such fine and honorable people. 

5 hours ago, SaChr222 said:

I take it that the guy on the horse who septon Ray was talking to was Lem.(because of the orange cloak) So why would bwb kill innocent people, when they were the only ones that swore to protect them.

Cuz the writers needed Sandor to be THE HOUND!  On the show the BWB are nobody at this point.

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

This, or...

Why didn't we see (or hear, lol) the massacre scene? Why would they pass a chance to show violence? Maybe because the ostensibly suggested attackers' identity of BwB was false.

(hanging gives a Stoneheart vibe, but she also shouldn't have a reason to massacre the smallfolk)

Exactly. Clearly we don't know if the showrunners want to just ruin something like the BWBs, but even on under LS, they aren't savages, they are just assholes with a twisted sense of justice. but that justice is key, remember that LS holds trials for everyone before she kills them.

What I want to believe until D&D ruin it for me, is that what we are seeing is reminiscent of Rorge wearing the Hounds helmet. The Hound really didn't have a symbolic helmet in the show since arguabley season 2, but even then, there wasn't a lot of detail with it. But in the books, a lot of effort goes into describing it (and everything else) because it sets up the scenario where people think the Hound is raping and murdering people all over the Stepstones.  SO, why couldn't show version characters of Biter and Rorge kill Lemmy (who has never been on the show) and take his iconic yellow cloak to parade around and pretend they are the BWBs so that they can rape and pillage?

What doesn't make sense is that when the Frey's discuss the BWBs, they say the Smallfolk love them, and are helping them turn against the Frey's, why would that happen if this is what they are really doing? It seems to me that it would be too easy for the Hound to just decide to take Batman justice on vigilantes. What makes more sense is that he THINKS he's doing that, which leads him to hate the BWBs for reasons that will be shown to us soon that probably culminate in him killing someone that would otherwise be an ally to our heroes (Starks and Stark allies) such as Beric, but in reality he's been fooled by people taking advantage of what the BWBs have established throughout the area and ends ups just making things worse for our heroes. .....and somehow gets to Kings Landing to fight his bro

3 minutes ago, King Gendry Baratheon said:

I'm definitely done with Thoros if he commanded this act. Seriously fuck this. Such a beautiful intro so I knew that it would end in sadness, but in the same episode? FFS!

Yeah, I am starting to get sick on ANYONE who seems good in the books getting fucked over as well.  It is starting to seem like the theme of ASOIF is "if you are not a ruthless conniving cocksucker, you will get fucked."

3 minutes ago, ImNoSer said:

what do you expect when you try to build a church of the 7 in the BWB backyard.

Seems like, if you talked to their septon, it could have been dedicated as a church to any god...just so the people could lead good lives there.

I do wonder if this is stolen from the book plot a bit though.  Will the monastery Sandor is at be ruthlessly attacked so he returns to violence?  Probably, peaceful  or kind people need to die in Westeros.

1 minute ago, wolverine said:

Yeah, I am starting to get sick on ANYONE who seems good in the books getting fucked over as well.  It is starting to seem like the theme of ASOIF is "if you are not a ruthless conniving cocksucker, you will get fucked."

This episode is about broken men. Even the BwB members can become broken men.

2 minutes ago, Tucu said:

This episode is about broken men. Even the BwB members can become broken men.

I am not referring only to this episode.  Most of the BwB are broken men already in the books.

2 minutes ago, ImNoSer said:

he had a necklace on that symbolized he was with the 7.

Yes and he talked to Sandor about not caring/knowing what god/gods they worshiped (sort of a form of agnosticism), but instead acceding to a higher power and trying to live as good people from this moment forward regardless of your past.

23 minutes ago, sifth said:

Nope they only ransomed hostages and then killed the hostage and the person paying the ransom. They only tried to murder someone for the crime of poring wine for a Lannister. They only had prisoners die from dehydrationin birdcages. 

Yea, this totally seems above such fine and honorable people. 

Very charming attempt as sarcasm, but who is talking about honor or being above anything?

They simply didn't target the smallfolk because they viewed themselves as sort of Robin Hoods and it wasn't in their line of punishing 'Lannister-Frey traitors' anyway. The book version was about their sick and deluded image of justice. The show version (if it was BwB's doing) seems to be just bullshit right now.

5 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Very charming attempt as sarcasm, but who is talking about honor or being above anything?

They simply didn't target the smallfolk because they viewed themselves as sort of Robin Hoods and it wasn't in their line of punishing 'Lannister-Frey traitors' anyway. The book version was about their sick and deluded image of justice. The show version (if it was BwB's doing) seems to be just bullshit right now.

Agreed.  It seems, one of the themes of the book, is:  who is right or just depends on your perspective (hence, maybe no one is right/just).

16 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Well see, but the BwB aren't exactly against harming "innocent" people either. Sure they don't murder small folk like this in the book, but steal from them quite frequently and give them fake money to make it seem like they're heroes or something. 

I'm guessing they are trying to play with the fact that the "after Beric" Brotherhood is rougher and less good hearted? So, instead of showing a once good brotherhood now misguided because of the loss of a charismatic leader, they decided to show us one made of evil douchebags, killers and fanatics. But show Beric should still be alive for all we know, so...

I think it would work better if Lady SH is actually going to appear as the "big twist"  for episode 10. Until then, meh.

Archived