Why didn't Jon return LongClaw to Mormonts?

Malchyor

The writing has been rushed this season. They're leaving great discussions like "Longclaw" & "Shireen's burning" and Jon going around to every house proclaiming the "WW's are coming" out.  Longclaw would have been a great convo starter to the Mormonts about him saving the Old Bear from a wight and getting gifted the sword and him using the same sword to kill a walker...  But awesome and logical things like this get pushed aside or to the back burner to just hurry to the finale. Next season will hopefully be much better once we kill off a lot of characters and plots start to merge together. 

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Does Lyanna, or any other Mormont, even care?

Also if the sword was/is so important, why did they allow Jeor to take it to the Wall? I would think that a "super-cool" sword would need a mantel to rest on in the ancestral house. 

So yes...I am pretty sure they do not care, or for some reason were not aware of its steel? 

16 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

The writing has been rushed this season. They're leaving great discussions like "Longclaw" & "Shireen's burning" and Jon going around to every house proclaiming the "WW's are coming" out.  Longclaw would have been a great convo starter to the Mormonts about him saving the Old Bear from a wight and getting gifted the sword and him using the same sword to kill a walker...  But awesome and logical things like this get pushed aside or to the back burner to just hurry to the finale. Next season will hopefully be much better once we kill off a lot of characters and plots start to merge together. 

I actually expected him to whip it out...LONGCLAW that is....the steel sword 

Well they are sort of forced to rush along since the standing claim is they are wrapping the show up in 13 episodes after this season. With fewer SL separated, I would expect a more detailed seaon 7&8. 

What? 

Mormont gave him that sword. Mormont wanted him to have that sword. Why the F would he want to give it away? 

Nobody expected Jon to give up the sword for a couple fighting men, because nobody thought or cared about the sword. 

There are a crap ton of characters and plotlines in this story and someone expects people to have dialogues about a sword? :dunno: 

Nobody. Gives. A crap. About that sword. 

I have a question to those who believe Jon should return it:

Shouldn't Brienne give Oathkeeper back to Sansa or Jon?  Jon got his as a gift from a man allowed to pass it on to whom he pleased.

The Starks lost their VS sword to Lannister treachery and Brienne got it from a Lannister.  

Reforging it is even more of an insult too but I know everyone will just say Oathkeeper is different than Ice...i disagree 

Yes, Brienne should return Oathkeeper, or as I like to call it-FindersKeeper. In the show, Jaime even says something like "Lady Stark wanted me to give this back to her." And, I think House Mormont should have been given their sword back, whether they asked/wanted it back.

Longclaw is a bastard blade or something like that. Not quite a great sword. Kind of a sword and a half or something like that. When Jon is no longer a bastard, he'll return the sword to Jorah once he and Dany's crews meet up and he'll wield Dawn as the new Sword of the Morning...  I know it's probably fanfic but that's my dream scenario. If not Dawn he needs to get Oathkeeper back. 

8 hours ago, Malchyor said:

You want your house back, but won't give up a sword to get it?  WTF?

Without Davos, Jon would have failed.  And at no point was that sword spoken of.

I get that it's invaluable, especially having seen what it can do against the coming threat of The White Walkers.  But...really?  One emergency at a time!  

Possibly, Jon was trying to mention it to Lyanna Mormont before she very rudely cut him off. I don't think Longclaw needs to be returned, but it might have demonstrated how highly Jeor thought of Jon, and eased tensions during the meeting.

Jon's entire character shift has been strange..moping around lamenting the fact they have so few men.

However, the sword situation just adds to my belief that Longclaw was never a Mormont ancestral sword, and is more likely a sword tied to Jon's true ancestry. 

Otherwise this was a missed opportunity to ratchet up the awkwardness in the Lyanna Mormont scene. It was a good scene, but how great would it have been if she called Jon out about the sword.

Also, WTF are these writers thinking with Sansa? Why would she think she can safely walk into any castle in the North? She is the fugitive bride of their Overlord, and also suspected by the Crown of conspiring to murder the King. One of those previously loyal Houses just turned over her brother Rickon to Ramsey.  Robb wouldn't even go in the Twins pre war. Very odd.

19 minutes ago, Perrin Stark said:

Mormont had the hilt changed from a bear to a direwolf when he gave it to Jon. You don't do that with the intention of the sword going back to your family. So it's Jon's sword, not the Mormont's now.

Excellent point.

I did wonder if the sword would be brought up. I assume it will go back to House Mormont at some stage.

Although how does a house who can muster 62 men at arms afford a Valyrian Steel sword?

I have no idea why Jeor had Longclaw anyway, why didn't it stay at the Bear Island? It's a family sword I think?

It can be suggested that Jeor had offered it to the Night's Watch together with his life, so that in this case Jon would be a legitimate owner (although Jon now it's not in the watch...).

In any case, I think it would be a great respectful act to return Longclaw to the Mormonts, specially when you need something from them. It could be solved easily by Lyanna saying Jon should keep it anyway because it was given in good will or something like that.

Offtopic: as the Mormonts are sort of matriarchal does the family name run through the female line or will Mormont dynasty go extinct? If they do it female line too they could very well support Sansa claims as a Stark no matter who her husband was (of course assuming she wasn't playing for her husband(s)).

11 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Longclaw is a bastard blade or something like that. Not quite a great sword. Kind of a sword and a half or something like that. When Jon is no longer a bastard, he'll return the sword to Jorah once he and Dany's crews meet up and he'll wield Dawn as the new Sword of the Morning...  I know it's probably fanfic but that's my dream scenario. If not Dawn he needs to get Oathkeeper back. 

Does Jorah deserves it? It should go to Lyanna Mormontas leader of House Mormont and now someone who disgraced their name. No mater how good he served under Daeny and advised her. Longclaw is Jon's sword and Dawn is not Valyrian steel sword that kills WW, it could be effective but we don't know. We don't even know where it is currently on the show. Oathkeeper is Brienne's.

17 hours ago, Cryler said:

He could've mentioned that Mormont gave it to him though. The fact that Jeor felt he was worthy to carry it would have meant something in little Lyanna's decision making.

Very good point. D&D probably wanted to make sure they had enough time to show lots of boobs.

Archived