The HS playing Margery

This is surely a possibility. The High Sparrow is no dumb man. He surely knows what's going on.
he is also aware of the fact that Maergery is a decorated member of the political games and she knows how to play the game and appear resentfull.

Keep in mind however that Maergery played a solid part with Olenna and Unella. It even took Olenna (her teacher) persuasion and a quick 'place drawing of rose in hand' before she was convinced.
Unella of course reports directly to the High Sparrow, so her act might just be believed. However, It is still possible that the High Sparrow knows.

And I thought he did it to weaken Cersei.  Margaery was very careful to tell her to go home and do good works in Highgarden. There was nothing for Septa Umella or the HS to complain of. Margaery is very clever and very sweet with it. Much sweeter than Cersei so the HS is underestimating her power.

The truly clever part is Margaery deliberately staying out of the marital bed to draw the HS into it. Now he cannot complain when Margaery manipulates Tommen. Love the pure syrup of a sweet rose. Margaery using her femininity serves as a contrast to Cersei the psycho...

She played but it backfired, I think that margaery wanted to play HS to break free from her cell so she started acting like a religious person, but it backfired and now she is literally trapped in his organization, they are not playing her, it's their way of life, they are like monks, they put Unella to keep an eye on her, she can't even speak freely with Olenna, the story of Marg and HS have a parallel with Arya and FM story : you can't break so easily from a fanatical organization 

35 minutes ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

This is surely a possibility. The High Sparrow is no dumb man. He surely knows what's going on.
he is also aware of the fact that Maergery is a decorated member of the political games and she knows how to play the game and appear resentfull.

Keep in mind however that Maergery played a solid part with Olenna and Unella. It even took Olenna (her teacher) persuasion and a quick 'place drawing of rose in hand' before she was convinced.
Unella of course reports directly to the High Sparrow, so her act might just be believed. However, It is still possible that the High Sparrow knows.

The beauty of the thing from the HS point of view is that he does not need to spy on Marg or intercept any message. Olena had no reason to leave KL; so if she leaves within a few days the HS can be 99.99% percent sure that Marg leaked the info.

I think Septa Unella is just a distraction, the HS just plays along, he offers this little game for Marg. Kind of like "oh, so you can out wit Septa Unella, how clever of you!" but it has no relevance.

35 minutes ago, Princess of Ice and Fire said:

And I thought he did it to weaken Cersei.  Margaery was very careful to tell her to go home and do good works in Highgarden. There was nothing for Septa Umella or the HS to complain of. Margaery is very clever and very sweet with it. Much sweeter than Cersei so the HS is underestimating her power.

I do not think that the HS would underestimate Marg, in fact IMHO it is Marg who underestimates the HS and bites the bait when she runs to Olena and tells her to leave.

11 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Nice try Marge, but you can't beat down Cercei. It's going to backfire very very badly.

Huh ??? Care to elaborate?

Watcher of the Night (great name for this forum! ):

The High Sparrow is definitely trying to divide and conquer the great houses of Westeros. The actor has revealed that there is coming an episode where he thinks he has everything sewn up and then suddenly things get turned upside down... I wonder if he will survive Season 6?

I had the opposite perspective, I think Marge is playing the HS. She got out of jail without having to do the walk and is back by the king's side where she can influence him. When Cersei's trial comes, she can claim she is on the "winner's" side, no matter which side wins. I think she has a scheme that we just don't know all the details of yet that includes getting her brother out too.

51 minutes ago, watcher of the night said:

Nice try Marge, but you can't beat down Cercei. It's going to backfire very very badly.

Huh ??? Care to elaborate?

Okay. Cercei is utterly vicious. She may look cowed and Marge thinks she's got the upper hand. I think Cercei will have her killed, probably by her FrankenGreg. This will cause Tommen to kill himself and Cercei to go mega-postal with the wildfire. Hear her scream, "Burn, burn them all!"

On 6/7/2016 at 8:44 AM, House Cambodia said:

Okay. Cercei is utterly vicious. She may look cowed and Marge thinks she's got the upper hand. I think Cercei will have her killed, probably by her FrankenGreg. This will cause Tommen to kill himself and Cercei to go mega-postal with the wildfire. Hear her scream, "Burn, burn them all!"

I don't think the KL story is going to end well for Cersei, her downfall is probably coming.

1 minute ago, mattnj81 said:

I don't think the KL story is going to end well for Cercei, her downfall is probably coming.

I think that whilst the story began centred in KL, hence the "game of thrones", Cercei's machinations have basically left the capital and everyone in it irrelevant to the bigger picture now. That's why I foresee them all being written out ahead of the next series. And there's only one way characters are written out of this show.

On 6/7/2016 at 8:52 AM, House Cambodia said:

I think that whilst the story began centred in KL, hence the "game of thrones", Cercei's machinations have basically left the capital and everyone in it irrelevant to the bigger picture now. That's why I foresee them all being written out ahead of the next series. And there's only one way characters are written out of this show.

I don't think KL will ever be written out of the show, it has the Throne in "Game of Thrones" after all. But I definitely think Cersei will be getting her comeupance soon. Whether that comes via death, imprisonment, banishment to Casterly Rock, etc. I have no idea. 

They(HS and Marg) both know they are playing each other. They are playing a game of chess and are waiting to see whose king is left standing at the end. Or is it cyvasse in this case?  I really hope we get to see a board+pieces by the end of the series, very curious about how one would look like.

I've been thinking about this topic as well.  I wasn't entirely convinced as to Margaery's true allegiance until this last episode.  

I'm not sure if the HS believes her to be sincere or not, but practically speaking it hardly matters.  If she plays along his ends are met all the same.  I don't really think that HS was testing Margaery like warning Oleanna was a secret. I think it was a straight up threat and Marge took him seriously (rightly so I'd say)

On ‎7‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:51 PM, Future Null Infinity said:

She played but it backfired, I think that margaery wanted to play HS to break free from her cell so she started acting like a religious person, but it backfired and now she is literally trapped in his organization, they are not playing her, it's their way of life, they are like monks, they put Unella to keep an eye on her, she can't even speak freely with Olenna, the story of Marg and HS have a parallel with Arya and FM story : you can't break so easily from a fanatical organization 

This - the HS isn't a 'player' in the same sense as Margery, Cersie. Olenna and so on. He believes what he is doing is righteous - he isn't playing, it isn't a game to him or the sparrows, it's a life/death choice.

But, I do think Margery/Cersie bitch fighting will lead to both the downfall of the HS and the death of Tommen.

16 minutes ago, Sigrid said:

I've been thinking about this topic as well.  I wasn't entirely convinced as to Margaery's true allegiance until this last episode.  

I'm not sure if the HS believes her to be sincere or not, but practically speaking it hardly matters.  If she plays along his ends are met all the same.  I don't really think that HS was testing Margaery like warning Oleanna was a secret. I think it was a straight up threat and Marge took him seriously (rightly so I'd say)

This is how I took it too.

Yeah, I'm not sure he was "testing" Marge either, he's to smart to believe in a full conversion but as long as she's doing what he likes he can use that.

i think it was more of him "playing" her, knowing she hasn't fully converted. He wants to weaken the major houses in KL, well besides arguably Marg, Ollena is probably the Tyrell's best asset inside KL. And with her grandchildren in the hands of fanaticals she has absolutely no reason to leave. So he tells Marg she is in danger, knowing Marg hasn't fully converted and will run to Ollena and get her to leave. It's another strong chess piece for team Tyrell off the board and out of KL in one of, if not the only, way he actually could have gotten her out of the city without giving something up.

On 07/06/2016 at 7:58 PM, mattnj81 said:

I don't think KL will ever be written out of the show, it has the Throne in "Game of Thrones" after all. But I definitely think Cersei will be getting her comeupance soon. Whether that comes via death, imprisonment, banishment to Casterly Rock, etc. I have no idea. 

That was the title of the first of seven volumes though, so there's no reason for it continuing to be relevant in GRRM's saga.

Archived