Is Sansa still legally married and if so, to whom?

Lyanna Mormont keenly pointed out that perhaps Sansa was a Lannister or was it she's a Bolton. 

Couple of questions here, how was it that she was able to marry Ramsay when she was still technically married to Tyrion? Also, how is a marriage dissolved in Westeros? 

I can understand how the marriage with Tyrion could be dissolved as it was never consumated. Unfortunately we know that definitely wasn't the case with Ramsay.

5 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Legally only the HS can annul a marriage, so Tyrion.  However as we know power resides where men believe it does.  Once the Boltons are defeated and shit hits the fan in Kings Landing, no 1 will be able to tell Sansa she is still married, that is until Danaerys arrives.

According to whose law?  She was married against her will, in a ceremony under a religion neither she nor most others in the North would recognize as valid, and the marriage was not consummated.  I don't think we have clear evidence as to whether the North would recognize her as married in these circumstances, aside from the implication of the Boltons and other Northern houses recognizing her marriage to Ramsay as valid.

9 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Legally only the HS can annul a marriage, so Tyrion.  However as we know power resides where men believe it does.  Once the Boltons are defeated and shit hits the fan in Kings Landing, no 1 will be able to tell Sansa she is still married, that is until Danaerys arrives.

I wonder if that's also the case for worshippers of the Old Gods. I mean, I know Cat followed the Seven, so there's an argument for Sansa doing the same, but if you're getting married again under a whole different religion why should you care about what the HS says anymore?  

7 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

According to whose law?  She was married against her will, in a ceremony under a religion neither she nor most others in the North would recognize as valid, and the marriage was not consummated.  I don't think we have clear evidence as to whether the North would recognize her as married in these circumstances, aside from the implication of the Boltons and other Northern houses recognizing her marriage to Ramsay as valid.

2 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I wonder if that's also the case for worshippers of the Old Gods. I mean, I know Cat followed the Seven, so there's an argument for Sansa doing the same, but if you're getting married again under a whole different religion why should you care about what the HS says anymore?  

I agree with both of you, and that's basically the point I was trying to make with the power resides where men think it does.  If northerners want to tell people to bugger off about it they can, but according to Westerosi law, only the HS can annul a marriage, at least the faith of the 7 would say so. I think that is 1 of the reasons LF tries to have him killed for Joffreys death.(Staging the jousting dwarfs was sure to antagonize Tyrion and get a reaction from Joffrey that people would see).

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

Ramsay is a dead man walking. What I'm interested in is whether after he drops she is going to be considered the wife of Tyrion again.

She was never considered a wife of Tyrion. When Ramsay dies, she'll be a widow.

4 minutes ago, permaximum said:

She was never considered a wife of Tyrion. When Ramsay dies, she'll be a widow.

I suppose she was just Tyrion's roommate in KL and people like Tywin or Stannis were just jesting calling her Tyrion's wife. They are known for that.

I'm not really sure if in the show this marriage was annulled (by whom?), claimed not binding or just hand-waved, but well, everyone agreed that he was Ramsay's after he, blah, consummated. But with Ramsay dead and perhaps Tyrion found, she may still be considered a Lannister.

1 minute ago, The Yung Wulf said:

In Westeros, if the marriage is not consummated, then it is not a true marriage. 

Not exactly. If not consummated, marriage can be annulled. Non consummation doesn't make a marriage annulled by default.

So who annuls the marriage if not the law itself?

Well, the marriage is not so easily annulled. In this case, Sansa can't just say: "my marriage wasn't consummated, it is annulled". There is a process and Council of Faith makes decision about annulment. 

So who annuls the marriage if not the law itself?

The king? Septons?

If it worked the way you're saying, a marriage would be automatically null a second after happening, before the newlyweds make it to the bedroom and the first act would technically be adultery :D (unless they were marrying and consummating simultaneously).

Marg and Joffrey didn't consummate either and she was considered his widow.

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

The king? Septons?

If it worked the way you're saying, a marriage would be automatically null a second after happening, before the newlyweds make it to the bedroom and the first act would technically be adultery :D (unless they were marrying and consummating simultaneously).

Marg and Joffrey didn't consummate either and she was considered his widow.

There's no marriage to be nulled if there's no sex.

Alright let me comfort you a bit.

1. Yes, she will be married to Tyrion Lannister.

2. But she will still be a Stark too.

3. She will be the Queen in the North.

4. She will get along with Jon very well.

5. She won't ever make amoral decisions.

6. But she will be a "player" in the game.

7. She will be very smart too

8. Last but not least, she will kill Ramsay first, then Lord Baelish, then Freys and finally Lannisters.

As far as I'm aware, LF does not have the power of annulment. :bs: That was ridiculous hand-waving.

If there hasn't been an official annulment (and who would have petitioned for an annulment as both Tyrion and Sansa fled KL?), Sansa's wedding to Ramsay is bigamous.  It is her first marriage that is lawful, not her second.  And since the second was consummated, she now cannot prove her first was unconsummated (unless Tyrion confirms that for her).  Result = hot mess.

Archived