Is Sansa still legally married and if so, to whom?

1 hour ago, RedShirt47 said:

Tyrion was already married, Tywin had it annulled by a Septon (not the High Septon though so not sure if that counts).
Tyrion is an outcast and sentenced to death. So I doubt anyone will consider him a legitimate husband.
The marriage was against their will, neither would argue in court they wanted it.
The marriage was never consummated.

I don't see how Tyrion and Sansa could be considered married by anyone.

Except the Lannisters who would benefit by Sansa and Tyrion still being married?  I mean that does give them a claim to the north. 

16 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Except the Lannisters who would benefit by Sansa and Tyrion still being married?  I mean that does give them a claim to the north. 

Not really, since that claim would be Tyrion's, who isn't on Team Lannister anymore.

55 minutes ago, Newstar said:

GRRM wants and needs the marriage to be valid for plot purposes, so it is. D&D wanted and needed the marriage to be invalid for plot purposes, so it isn't (at least for now).

We can argue precedent and try to apply logic all we want, this is the real answer.

7 minutes ago, Darksky said:

They settled it in season 5 when Roose and Littlefinger talked about Sansa's marriage to Tyrion being void due to the lack of consummation.

Except they didn't.  They handwaved it, and it was risible.

4 hours ago, Darksky said:

They settled it in season 5 when Roose and Littlefinger talked about Sansa's marriage to Tyrion being void due to the lack of consummation.

Which is countered by what Lysa said in season 4, where she clearly states they need to wait for Tyrion to die before Sansa can marry Robin. It's handwaving. Considering that the writers were apparently planning the ridiculous Sansa-Ramsey plot since S2, they could have laid the groundwork better by avoiding stuff like this.

She's technically married to Ramsey Bolton. 

Littlefinger was not that stupid to give Sansa to the Boltons if he knew that she couldn't get married. Neither were the boltons.

So back to season 4 or 5 i don't really remember; someone pointed that she'd never had intimate relations with Tyrion Lannister. For that reason, she was still being free to marry. not really 'free' but you know another 'free'.

You get married? Then you consume. You don't consume? The lady doesn't belong to you. At least physically.

On 6/26/2016 at 4:06 AM, Taylor Swift said:

She is legally married to Tyrion in the books.

In the show, she is single till Tyrion returns to Westeros. Then they can choose to drop or pursue that plot point.

They never consummated the marriage though, hence, making it not a legal marriage. In my mind, she's lawfully single. 

On 6/22/2016 at 9:16 AM, Le Cygne said:

Not legally married on the show, probably not in the books, either. Something to do with Tysha. I think she will marry for love in both, Sandor.

You're the best! She's not legally married to anyone in either the show or the books. Ramsay is dead (she never even met him in the books), she never consummated with Tyrion, done. Single...totally hooking up with Sandor. Dreadfort happens to be in need of a Lord. If someone would happen to make Sandor Clegane Lord of the Dreadfort...a marriage would be possible. 

18 minutes ago, Ihaveadognamedclegane said:

I don't know why people are even suggesting she's still married to Tyrion. They never consummated. That's a big deal in Westeros. It's not considered a real married until the bedding...which never happened. 

Where do you get this from?  A legal marriage is a legal marriage unless and until it is annulled by an appropriate authority (which will never be a brothel owner).  And because her bigamous marriage to Ramsay was consummated, she will not be able to prove she never consummated her marriage to Tyrion unless he confirms that for her.

It suited the show-writers to hand wave her first marriage away, and I'm sure it'll have no consequences, because they don't deal with consequences but it remains complete nonsense.

1 minute ago, Ser Quork said:

Where do you get this from?  A legal marriage is a legal marriage unless and until it is annulled by an appropriate authority (which will never be a brothel owner).  And because her bigamous marriage to Ramsay was consummated, she will not be able to prove she never consummated her marriage to Tyrion unless he confirms that for her.

It suited the show-writers to hand wave her first marriage away, and I'm sure it'll have no consequences, because they don't deal with consequences but it remains complete nonsense.

I read the books, that's how I know. 

34 minutes ago, Ihaveadognamedclegane said:

I read the books, that's how I know. 

Quote the part that says anyone can hand-wave a marriage away without an official annulment.  It doesn't work that way in the real world or in GRRM's world.

Archived