Is Sansa still legally married and if so, to whom?

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

As far as I'm aware, LF does not have the power of annulment. :bs: That was ridiculous hand-waving.

If there hasn't been an official annulment (and who would have petitioned for an annulment as both Tyrion and Sansa fled KL?), Sansa's wedding to Ramsay is bigamous.  It is her first marriage that is lawful, not her second.  And since the second was consummated, she now cannot prove her first was unconsummated (unless Tyrion confirms that for her).  Result = hot mess.

Where did you learn all of this? I only listened to Tywin, Baelish and Roose's words on this issue...

2 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

According to whose law?  She was married against her will, in a ceremony under a religion neither she nor most others in the North would recognize as valid, and the marriage was not consummated.  I don't think we have clear evidence as to whether the North would recognize her as married in these circumstances, aside from the implication of the Boltons and other Northern houses recognizing her marriage to Ramsay as valid.

she was also married by a sept in WF if I remember correctly

They obviously don't care about her marriage to Tyrion on the show. That thing has been annulled by D&D even if we didn't see it. She's a Bolton until they kill him( hope the keeping him prisoner thing is a joke)

2 hours ago, permaximum said:

There's no marriage to be nulled if there's no sex.

Alright let me comfort you a bit.

This discussion doesn't even have anything to do with liking/hating Sansa's character for a sane person.

And if there is no marriage, then there is no husband and no wife, and that guy who comes to that woman should be proclaimed an adulterer and children of theirs should be bastards.

2 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

As far as I'm aware, LF does not have the power of annulment. :bs: That was ridiculous hand-waving.

If there hasn't been an official annulment (and who would have petitioned for an annulment as both Tyrion and Sansa fled KL?), Sansa's wedding to Ramsay is bigamous.  It is her first marriage that is lawful, not her second.  And since the second was consummated, she now cannot prove her first was unconsummated (unless Tyrion confirms that for her).  Result = hot mess.

I would say that they took advantage of the unconsummated marriage's weaker status and 'trumped' it with the stronger. Then again, the bolded part. Then again, Marg was very clearly not a virgin when wedding Joff and Tommen and nobody bothered with checking that. It's might makes right and a word againsta word about who got there first.

We are not watching a show right now, we are on a forum with specific rules including abstaining from using offensive terms for women.  Sorry if you can't understand that.

I don't think the faith under which one gets married matters. We've seen no indication that an interfaith marriage causes any problems nor does one have to have two ceremonies to bind them. Robb got married by a septon. I assume Ned got married by a septon at Riverrun. Didn't cause a problem for either one.

I agree that the real answer is whatever the people in power want it to be. Cersei would say Sansa is still married to Tyrion, now bring her to me so I can have her executed. Littlefinger and the Boltons are more like, well, screw it. She never consummated it so we can do as we like because it suits our purpose. It's kind of like who has the best claim to the throne? Whoever has the most armies.

Marriages may be conducted between children or even babies;

ACOK-Arya VI

In the Faith of the Seven, a marriage that has not been consummated can be set aside by the High Septon or a Council of Faith.

ACOK Jon IV

An annulment granted by the High Septon requires no witnesses and must be requested by at least one of the wedded pair

GRRM, 2000

1 minute ago, bfin said:

They obviously don't care about her marriage to Tyrion on the show. That thing has been annulled by D&D even if we didn't see it. She's a Bolton until they kill him( hope the keeping him prisoner thing is a joke)

:D That's a fair stand.

Although, if Sansa and Tyrion's storylines were to cross again, I wouldn't be too surprised if D&D decided that that marriage was a thing after all.

I don't think it was annulled, even off-screen in the show. It was just ignored because ... reasons. It may rear it's head again when Tyrion lands in Westeros. (I don't think it will be a thing anyone cares about, but it could still come up as a thing)

1 hour ago, Glass guy said:

I was hoping to see some reflection on Tyrion at some point from Sansa. Maybe even a little pining for the gentleness he showed her. If it didn't show up last season though, I doubt it ever will. 

The last time she spoke of Tyrion, I think she said "They [Lannisters] married me to the imp" with a disgust on her face.

1 minute ago, permaximum said:

Sansa is not a woman. She's an imaginary character from a +18 show. Sorry if you can't understand that.

And you are not currently watching the show.  You are aware of that, right?  the screen in front of you should not be a series of moving pictures.  If it is get to a doctor immediately. 

9. Do not post things that might offend others.

We're a pretty broad-minded lot, but there are some things you should avoid, if only because some boarders are under 18.

I strongly suggest you reread that section before responding

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

Per Littlefinger in 503, non-consummation means that Sansa's marriage is automatically void in the show, so she's legally married to Ramsay, and if he dies, she is a widow and married to nobody.

Nice to see this post. The level suddenly has gotten higher.

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

[mod] It is against forum rules to use gendered slurs like "bitch." Yea verily, even when describing characters that only exist in books or on the television. Further use of such terms could result in a loss of posting privileges. Thank you. [/mod]

I find your interpration of forum rules incorrect. Unless some actual person finds that line about Sansa offensive towards him/her, it doesn't violate any rule.

However since a moderator explicitly intervenes, I have to comply, albeit unwillingly.

46 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Per Littlefinger in 503, non-consummation means that Sansa's marriage is automatically void in the show, so she's legally married to Ramsay, and if he dies, she is a widow and married to nobody.

Per Cersei in season 1 she had four kids total and the first-born was black-haired.

I believe they're refferring stating this particular episode's reality, but that's retconning. Marg's marriages to Joff and Renly weren't considered void, were they?

Also, on 'automatically' - wouldn't they need some sort of authority figure to actually confirm that there was no consummation?

Archived