Manderly?

Pies are coming

The battle is in episode 9. House Manderly was named several times through the season. So... he has to appear. And if he is going to appear, it should be before the battle.

But how? Sansa might want to remove Davos from the camp, and sending him to deal with Manderly seems a reasonable way to do it. After all, he is a convincing guy. But, if Davos finds Shireen's remains next episode (likely), then he's going straight to Castle Black to murder Melissandre.

Would Manderly appear out of nowhere? The other options are:

Sansa goes personally while Jon handles the troops they have. I don't find it likely, and Sansa has been anything but convincing in her tour

The Blackfish goes to White Harbor - if he escapes Riverrun in that boat with Brienne, he'll do it without an army. And a capable commander as he may be, he's still only one man.

Arya boards a ship to Westeros, but heads for the North instead of King's Landing. Since White Harbor is the larger port in the North, she could head there. She wouldn't seek out Manderly, though and Manderly wouldn't know about her.

He should appear before the battle or during the battle (or at least his army) if he is to appear at all. He was mentioned, and I believe he will come. If he does, it will be to free Rickon, and yes, Brienne could have her fingers in it. With or without BF, although his presence would make it easier, as he commands respect from anyone, unlike her who needs to prove herself to everyone.

I mean, I loved Manderly in the books. Especially his pies and his song choices. Quite a brave man, there.

2 hours ago, Jack.Stark said:

He will be in episode 10 , post battle .

I agree with this.  Like in the books, Manderly has a lot of men but when he goes to Winterfell he only brings a couple hundred knights and some other fighting men. For all we know the remainder are at White Harbor or elsewhere (I don't remember a mention of them with the Umbers in Theons released chapter but I may be wrong) and he is waiting for Davos to succeed in order to commit more or for the Boltons to fail against Stannis.  It seems the same is happening here except Manderly is waiting for Jon/Sansa to defeat Ramsey in order to commit forces.  This way Jon's depleted Northern force (as seen in the trailer) is re-stocked with Manderly's men and possibly the Vale knights if they stay.  This in turn gives Jon a somewhat decent number to start with against the WWs.

2 hours ago, Targaryen loyalist said:

The show is building up the battle as a no-game for Jon, with few men vs. the Mighty Boltons.

All is building up for a deus ex machina that will save the day. I think it will be Littlefinger with the knights of the vale and not Manderly or other Northern Houses.

People sure say dues ex machina here a lot. The plot has already established that the Knights of the Vale are likely coming, and possible the Tullys as well. Them coming, after being requested to come, would not be deus ex machina. That would be the plot playing out exactly as expected. 

My guess is that all those people, and possibly more (eg, Manderly) will come and will resoundingly beat the Boltons. Then we will be feeling really good until . . . something much worse happens. 

At this point, I'm not sure what the purpose of having Manderly in the show even is.  He's been name checked now about a hundred times, so will definitely appear.

But, giving the North remembers speech is anti-climatic, since the last episodes have shown that the North does NOT remember, and don't care about the Starks.  And if he does give such a speech ,it will be shoehorned in, right before the battle, where clearly, the stupid fools who are willing to fight for the Starks are going to lose, be killed only to be saved by Littlefinger in the nick of time.

They might as well have left him out.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

At this point, I'm not sure what the purpose of having Manderly in the show even is.  He's been name checked now about a hundred times, so will definitely appear.

But, giving the North remembers speech is anti-climatic, since the last episodes have shown that the North does NOT remember, and don't care about the Starks.  And if he does give such a speech ,it will be shoehorned in, right before the battle, where clearly, the stupid fools who are willing to fight for the Starks are going to lose, be killed only to be saved by Littlefinger in the nick of time.

They might as well have left him out.

The last episode did not show that the North doesn't remember. It showed that some houses would side with the Boltons due to fear and resentment. 

Just now, Forlong the Fat said:

The last episode did not show that the North doesn't remember. It showed that some houses would side with the Boltons due to fear and resentment. 

I guess that's a matter of opinion.  So far, the Umbers & Karstarks actively and happily support the Boltons.  Little girl Mormont didn't care about the Starks,  she was convinced to help by a stranger from Flea Bottom because of WW.  House Glover told the Starks to fuck off, and BTW Robb Stark sucked as king, LOL.

So, I'm not sure how that can be seen as anything but the North not remembering, and the majority of houses not being willing to support the Starks.

When Manderly finally shows up as a Stark supporter, he's going to be a dead man walking, sucker, because the Starks will just get him killed immediately.

5 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

If anything the last episode showed that the North DOES remember, unfortunately that includes the negative aspects as well.

Exactly.  Glover's resentment was accurate and believable. 

In the books, at least the Karstarks, Ryswells, and Dustins all seem to feel the same. 

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I guess that's a matter of opinion.  So far, the Umbers & Karstarks actively and happily support the Boltons.  Little girl Mormont didn't care about the Starks,  she was convinced to help by a stranger from Flea Bottom because of WW.  House Glover told the Starks to fuck off, and BTW Robb Stark sucked as king, LOL.

So, I'm not sure how that can be seen as anything but the North not remembering, and the majority of houses not being willing to support the Starks.

When Manderly finally shows up as a Stark supporter, he's going to be a dead man walking, sucker, because the Starks will just get him killed immediately.

You're just nit picking Mormont. She questioned a bastard and a girl married to a Lannister and Bolton. She supported the Starks but questioned if these were really the Starks. Ultimately she gave every man she could  

Was anything Glover said wrong or unbelievable? In the books, the Dustins or Ryswells likely would give about the same answer. 

Not really.  In the book,the Karstarks and Dustins have personal, specific reasons to be against the Starks and the Ryswells as close relatives of Roose Bolton are along for the ride because they'll fare better.

There is nothing in the show that gives a sense of "The North fears the Boltons, but they love the Starks"  since the vast majority of Northern h houses introduced on the show are not Stark supporters.

Rickon is a prisoner of the Boltons, she should have rallied on that alone, she should have rallied to save her liege lord, Rickon Stark, but she doesn't, she rallies because Davos talks about White Walkers.

I've been waiting and hoping and pining for Manderly for 3 seasons, and now, when he finally shows up, he will be a chump.  Because he will support the Starks, who will proceed to get him and their tiny number of supporters killed.

It's a really strange way to tell the story, where we will see the Starks take back Winterfell in spite of the North, with virtually no support from the North, but will get it back because of Littlefinger and the Vale lords, who seem more willing to die for the Starks than their own bannermen.

4 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

I'll be more shocked if they cut out Howland Reed.  I mean, come on...Eddard Starks biggest supporter and closest friend...and Jon doesn't even at the very least send a raven to him?  WTF?

Ravens can't be sent to Greywater Watch (the seat of House Reed). This is due to the nature of the keep itself. It is constantly moving. Also there are very few people outside of the Crannogmen that even know how to find it.

Manderly will appear, they have cast an overweight man in his 60s for this season. ("Fletcher") This is probably Manderly. I think he has to appear before the fight else how would he even know to become involved. It would make no sense for him to randomly show up during the middle of the fight when there has been no hinting at or other way to let the viewer know that he is involved in the overthrow of the Boltons.

Just now, Jon leaves the Watch said:

Ravens can't be sent to Greywater Watch (the seat of House Reed). This is due to the nature of the keep itself. It is constantly moving. Also there are very few people outside of the Crannogmen that even know how to find it.

Manderly will appear, they have cast an overweight man in his 60s for this season. ("Fletcher") This is probably Manderly. I think he has to appear before the fight else how would he even know to become involved. It would make no sense for him to randomly show up during the middle of the fight when there has been no hinting at or other way to let the viewer know that he is involved in the overthrow of the Boltons.

Even so, they could have found a way to get word to HR.  A letter, a messenger, something.  Greywater Watch is indeed near impossible to find, but I am sure they could find a way to get word to HR (who I'm sure is already aware of the Winterfell fiasco).  It just seems strange to me that the show wouldn't even make any sort of reference or attempt to reach HR.  They didn't even mention him when they were looking at the Northern map 2 episodes ago when discussing possible allies.

I think we'll learn about the Manderlys next episode, and very well could be Jons final stop on his tour around The North.

6 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

Even so, they could have found a way to get word to HR.  A letter, a messenger, something.  Greywater Watch is indeed near impossible to find, but I am sure they could find a way to get word to HR (who I'm sure is already aware of the Winterfell fiasco).  It just seems strange to me that the show wouldn't even make any sort of reference or attempt to reach HR.  They didn't even mention him when they were looking at the Northern map 2 episodes ago when discussing possible allies.

This seemed a little weird to me as well. However, a friend of mine and I were discussing this situation a couple days ago and realized that D&D has fully abandoned or at least seemed to have abandoned the Robb's will storyline that is in the book. I could be wrong, but I believe they touched on it the episode before the Red Wedding. However, it has not been discussed since. So based on this there really isn't a way as far as the current storylines that would allow for anyone to contact him.

1 minute ago, Jon leaves the Watch said:

This seemed a little weird to me as well. However, a friend of mine and I were discussing this situation a couple days ago and realized that D&D has fully abandoned or at least seemed to have abandoned the Robb's will storyline that is in the book. I could be wrong, but I believe they touched on it the episode before the Red Wedding. However, it has not been discussed since. So based on this there really isn't a way as far as the current storylines that would allow for anyone to contact him.

I still hold out hope that HR will eventually show up somehow, some way, considering Meera is still alive.  They could be saving HR for Brans storyline, considering it's the most logical place for Meera to run to, and also the safest place for an incapacitated Bran to hang out.  That would be my guess why he's been excluded from the Bastard Battle.

Archived