Valyrian Steel Armor

MostlyMoody

4 minutes ago, Masha said:

Not the show, the bolded section I've got from the books, don't remember which one - most like tWoIaF or ACOK. 

The Ruins of Valyria are described as incredibly dangerous. But after 300 or so years, the dangers might have started to diminish enough that someone with enough will and power and suicidal resolve will get there and survive. Magical practitioners/warlocks have the first two, Gerard had will and suicidal resolve.

My main point was is that I don't believe that Euron is all that he claims to be, he is a scam artist and he is certainly ruthless enough to plunder any easy mark but he is not going to risk his life for mystic treasure. I don't believe that he had enough of will and resolve to risk his life to get to Valyria and face death from uncertain causes. He went to Warlocks perhaps asking to be taught and then turned on them and plundered their treasure and killed off/captured them, same for Gerard. Perhaps Gerard did survive Valyria and got goods from there, on the way back at the periphery of Smoking sea, Euron fell on him and killed him and his crew and stole his Valyrian treasure. Or perhaps, Gerard and his crew where already dead and Euron saw his ship just floating there as an empty Ghost Ship and just stripped it bare.

This is something I have suggested before as it would tie up the storylines nicely.  Euron didn't actually go, but Gerion did and we would finally know what happened to him.  You'd think Euron would be using Brightroar if he found it though, too bad.

On 12/22/2016 at 4:40 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

This is something I have suggested before as it would tie up the storylines nicely.  Euron didn't actually go, but Gerion did and we would finally know what happened to him.  You'd think Euron would be using Brightroar if he found it though, too bad.

Maybe Euron does have Brightroar, at this point all we know from Aeron's chapter that he got actual Valyrian Armor.  Perhaps, a "mysterious" Valyrian sword will also make its appearance. That will be a major hint.

However, at this point, using current Tyrells v Lannister distraction for raiding unopposed (primarily) Tyrell's Westland coastline, attracting attention to himself by boldly proclaiming you attacked and killed a major member of currently "royal" house and holding its family blade is completely another.  That would make him not only Tyrells problem but Lannisters' too and have both Houses plus Royal army go against him.

Secondly, if someone from mainland Westeros - thralls or salt wives or hostages recognizes that sword and they connect the dots (Brightroar - a Lannister sword held by Gerion + Gerion went to Valyria and vanished = Euron lied about his power and his awesome Valyria trek to steal the throne from Asha and just raided one small ship to get all his "mysterious" items>leads to >>> he is not powerful or mysterious, just a skilled fraud )

Can I also mention that at least 2 of Greyjoy brothers - Aeron and Victarian are complete imbeciles, so based off their genetics, Balon doesn't improve on much, we shouldn't really expect Euron to be this mastermind compared to anyone outside of Ironborn?

On 27/12/2016 at 7:23 PM, Masha said:

Secondly, if someone from mainland Westeros - thralls or salt wives or hostages recognizes that sword and they connect the dots (Brightroar - a Lannister sword held by Gerion + Gerion went to Valyria and vanished = Euron lied about his power and his awesome Valyria trek to steal the throne from Asha and just raided one small ship to get all his "mysterious" items>leads to >>> he is not powerful or mysterious, just a skilled fraud )

Just a little nit pick, but Gerion never had Brightroar. It was lost long before his time by a Lannister king who went to Valyria and Gerion went looking for it, never to return home again. 

On 12/31/2016 at 9:16 AM, TheHodorThatWasPromised said:

Just a little nit pick, but Gerion never had Brightroar. It was lost long before his time by a Lannister king who went to Valyria and Gerion went looking for it, never to return home again. 

This one I missed, I was just answering the previous poster 

What if the VS armour ended up somehow in the hands of the nights king? Although you're debating its 'magical qualities' it should offer some resistance to dragon fire, and likely be pretty effective if not impervious to VS swords. It  would give the series a much more interesting ending, other than "the dragons burn him" or "Jon fights and kills him with long claw". Could lightbringer then be the only weapon that could be used to beat the nights king? It would be a magical VS sword and maybe could cut through the VS armour. Therfore Jon needs lightbringer to fight the nights king in his VS arrmour.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this in another thread on the Aerion chapter in TWoW, but I probably should have waited and posted it here.  

I believe that Euron would be taking too big of a risk sending Vic off with the horn without some kind of insurance from Vic double - crossing him.  And in the Aerion chapter, Damp mentions that the VS armor has glyphs that are described to be similar to the glyphs described to be inscribed on the dragonbinder horn.  Does anyone else think that the horn and armor are some type of "set" ?  Maybe the spells/magic bind the horn to the person wearing the armor?  That would explain why Euron was so relaxed about allowing Vic to take the horn with him to Meereen.

Also, based on Jon Snow's dream about being clad in all black armor with a blazing sword in his hand leads me to believe that one of Euron's main purposes as a character is to not only get Dany to come west (among other things), but also to be the plot device that lands the magical armor into the possession Former Lord Commander Snow so that he can be resurrected as AA.  It seems to me, based on these pre-released chapters, that GRRM is starting to move the story forward towards a conclusion rather quickly. 

2 hours ago, No one is here said:

I mentioned this in another thread on the Aerion chapter in TWoW, but I probably should have waited and posted it here.  

I believe that Euron would be taking too big of a risk sending Vic off with the horn without some kind of insurance from Vic double - crossing him.  And in the Aerion chapter, Damp mentions that the VS armor has glyphs that are described to be similar to the glyphs described to be inscribed on the dragonbinder horn.  Does anyone else think that the horn and armor are some type of "set" ?  Maybe the spells/magic bind the horn to the person wearing the armor?  That would explain why Euron was so relaxed about allowing Vic to take the horn with him to Meereen.

Also, based on Jon Snow's dream about being clad in all black armor with a blazing sword in his hand leads me to believe that one of Euron's main purposes as a character is to not only get Dany to come west (among other things), but also to be the plot device that lands the magical armor into the possession Former Lord Commander Snow so that he can be resurrected as AA.  It seems to me, based on these pre-released chapters, that GRRM is starting to move the story forward towards a conclusion rather quickly. 

This is as good of a prediction as any.

• 6 months later...
On June 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Curled Finger said:

This is from The Citadel and is a direct quote from ADWD regarding Jon's dream.  

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

It's really interesting that we've had ZERO instances of VS armor prior to this chapter.   If you know of any other mention I would be glad to see it.   As to the 12 named VS swords in Westeros I think we will just have to agree to disagree.   I think these very particular 12 swords are critical to the story.  The plot doesn't yet revolve around them but it's clear that they are important.   I am equally excited and disappointed that so much information has been withheld 5 full novels (not to mention 4 ancessory novels and 2 short stories) into the tale.   TWOW cannot be published soon enough for me.   Euron's armor is a very exciting addition to the VS magic stuff cache . If this armor is the armor Jon will eventually have to wear to protect himself against the Others I really hope GRRM will be more forthcoming with obscure hints and clues if not outright explanations.       

Hello my friend haven't heard from you in awhile. Good to heard from good people.

That's exactly why your post(s)? (Can't remember if you had 2 of them) are now my go to reference for VS now. Sure people (absolutely myself included) went towards a more speculative route when predicting the future owners at the time of  the battle for dawn but yourself and others did a great job of providing reasonable explanations + A LOT on the history of those swords so it's absolutely my favorite reference and prediction post ever. 

If VS is indeed a red herring (it's not) I honestly don't know if I could trust GRRM anymore bc I would start to question everything I thought I knew..... I might go read some on that post now actually lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 5:36 AM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Hello my friend haven't heard from you in awhile. Good to heard from good people.

That's exactly why your post(s)? (Can't remember if you had 2 of them) are now my go to reference for VS now. Sure people (absolutely myself included) went towards a more speculative route when predicting the future owners at the time of  the battle for dawn but yourself and others did a great job of providing reasonable explanations + A LOT on the history of those swords so it's absolutely my favorite reference and prediction post ever. 

If VS is indeed a red herring (it's not) I honestly don't know if I could trust GRRM anymore bc I would start to question everything I thought I knew..... I might go read some on that post now actually lol

Ah Sai, always good to chat with you.  Spending less time in the forums lately but hope to get back into the swing of things when we have more to discuss with the forthcoming short story in The Book of Swords!!!   Can't wait and really hoping for some juicy hints for Dark Sister and/or Blackfyre.   This mention of Euron's armor in the latest excerpt we were given sheds yet more light on the importance of Valyrian Steel as both weapon and protection.  Dragon glass, dragon steel, dragons, Others and saviors of Westeros will all play their part in end game.    

Sorry about lifting my quote from The Citadel.    I was locked out of both this site as well as asearchoficeandfire.com for a while.   It's good to have access to everything again.   Now if we just had some new material to discuss!!!  

Archived