Valyrian Steel Armor

MostlyMoody

13 hours ago, direpupy said:

No its not, at several points information on the app was changed after GRRM disapproved of it so it can not be considered canon just like the wiki its just a course of handy information.

Where he got the horn is still an unknown that he got it from the warlocks is speculation by the people behind the app based mostly on euron fleeing the room when questioned on his trip to valyria.

Euron getting the horn from the worlocks has been on there for like 2 years.  If GRRM specifically took other information down and left that up, that obviously says something.

On 18-6-2016 at 1:16 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Euron getting the horn from the worlocks has been on there for like 2 years.  If GRRM specifically took other information down and left that up, that obviously says something.

Information gets removed al the time even information older than that. He does not read the app he only approved them putting info in the app so a lot of it is actually speculation that never passed by GRRM.

When TWoIaF came out they actually changed almost a third of the information on the history of Westeros because it turned out to be wrong.

Don't put to much stock in they app.

16 hours ago, direpupy said:

Information gets removed al the time even information older than that. He does not read the app he only approved them putting info in the app so a lot of it is actually speculation that never passed by GRRM.

When TWoIaF came out they actually changed almost a third of the information on the history of Westeros because it turned out to be wrong.

Don't put to much stock in they app.

You contradicted yourself in your own statement, i don't even know how to respond.  IDK maybe you were drunk or something or maybe english isn't your first language and I don't mean to insult if that is the case but I cannot tell what you are trying to say here.

11 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

You contradicted yourself in your own statement, i don't even know how to respond.  IDK maybe you were drunk or something or maybe english isn't your first language and I don't mean to insult if that is the case but I cannot tell what you are trying to say here.

How did i contradict myself according to you and yes englisch is not my first language.

And if you mean that i said in my earlier post that GRRM disapproved of things i meant by that, that even if does not read the info on the app he does sometimes come across it when fans ask him question and then he does correct the information in his answer to the fan wich will then make its way into the fandom and to the people behind they app by way of ssm mostly and they then change they info in they app.

Fact is he does not read every entry on they app he just approved them putting up information.

Accussing someone of being drunk just because you are to stupid to understand him says a lot about your intteligence or rather the lack thereof.

For some reason, I just don't see Valyrian Steel armour making one immune to dragonfire, it just doesn't seem to be the way magic quite works in ASoIaF. I don't know, it's entirely possible, in the Foresaken I realised the high fantasy elements are going to be far more hardcore, far more integrated into the story and at a far earlier point than I'd previously thought. 

My guess is that, aside from being impossibly lightweight and durable and thus basically functioning as ASoIaF's mithril, it might be involved with the binding of dragons. The glyphs described on the armour may well correspond to those on the horn, and since Moqorro stated the actual hornblower is irrelevant, it may well be that when the horn is blown under certain conditions it will bind the dragon in question to the individual wearing the suit. 

I think it's going to be quite important, along with the swords themselves. 

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 0:07 AM, Durran Durrandon said:

I don't think we need to assume that Valyrian steel has any magic properties other than being somewhat stronger than ordinary steel and lighter. If the suit is somewhat stronger that ordinary plate mail and much lighter, it would give him a huge advantage in combat. There is no reason to assume it is fire proof. Even if it was fire proof, I don't think that would keep him from roasting inside of it, or asphyxiating for that matter. In the books we have no evidence that Valyrian steel has any particular effect against the White Walkers, so I wouldn't assume that it would especially protect someone against their weapons. Sorry to be a bummer.

Do we even have evidence it is lighter?  From the description of the sword "Ice" I assumed it was just as heavy or even heavier.  Valerian steel armor might just be a status symbol with no practical advantage over good armor,  or it might have some unmentioned magic properties.  I am not sure why everyone assumes its fireproof.

I would guess even if the armor itself was fireproof, the wearer would not be, especially if not completely covered.

14 minutes ago, Brad Stark said:

Do we even have evidence it is lighter?  From the description of the sword "Ice" I assumed it was just as heavy or even heavier.  Valerian steel armor might just be a status symbol with no practical advantage over good armor,  or it might have some unmentioned magic properties.  I am not sure why everyone assumes its fireproof.

I would guess even if the armor itself was fireproof, the wearer would not be, especially if not completely covered.

Mmm, I don't have a quote for you, but I am fairly certain that is is referenced as being lighter in more than one place. It was possibly in a description of Jon wielding Longclaw or Brienne wielding Oath Keeper.

17 hours ago, Durran Durrandon said:

Mmm, I don't have a quote for you, but I am fairly certain that is is referenced as being lighter in more than one place. It was possibly in a description of Jon wielding Longclaw or Brienne wielding Oath Keeper.

It seems it can be folded/beaten to be much thinner than castle-forged steel, yet retain it's strength due to its massively superior durability (with Jon noting it is 'nigh on indestructible') thus a VS weapon can weigh less. 

“He will grow into it. Here, feel the weight of it.” He offered the weapon hilt first. The sword was much lighter than he had expected. As he turned it in his hand he saw why. Only one metal could be beaten so thin and still have strength enough to fight with, and there was no mistaking those ripples, the mark of steel that has been folded back on itself many thousands of times. 

Jon also thinks it's lighter: 

The blade itself was Valyrian steel, old and light and deadly sharp.

I was under the impression of the Jon and Sam conversation as being confirmation, but as people have mentioned maybe not.

I was guessing Valyrian Steel = Dragonsteel, and that the secret was obsidian being mixed into standard steel. Guess I'll just have to wait until 2027 when Winds is finally released.

On 12.6.2016 at 6:07 AM, Durran Durrandon said:

I don't think we need to assume that Valyrian steel has any magic properties other than being somewhat stronger than ordinary steel and lighter.

Well, maybe there are no magic "features" in it.

But the description speaks of arcane symbols worked in it, so maybe this was only to forge it, but also possible that there is more to it...

A totally different question is what kind of magic this may be, right now we can just speculate...

On 6/11/2016 at 7:14 PM, The Greatmatt said:

My theory is that he didn't find the suit, he's rediscovered how to make Valyrian steel.

Things to consider:

- We now see that Euron has magical power at his disposal beyond anything we've seen other than the Others.

- While Euron is clearly magically talented, Euron clearly seems to be "harvesting" holy men in a way that implies he understands processes by which magic can be harnessed.

- If Euron merely found the suit, wouldn't he flaunt it everywhere? Wouldn't have been some killer fashion to where to the Kingsmoot? 

- More generally we know he is hiding the extent of his magical prowess from the other Ironborn, so it would make sense for him to hide this as well if he simply followed the same logic.

Good theory and i'm a believer

On 20.6.2016 at 4:42 PM, fractured_pelvis said:

why are people so willing to believe that no-one can enter the ruins of valyria?

If he did, then think of all the treasures he could have picked up; or perhaps he came upon Gerion Lannister's ship after whatever befell him.

I agree, why would four warlocks who arent martial people carry one set of valyrian armor with them? The dragonhorn they might have possessed already, but why didnt they use it back in the House of the Undying?

The most reasonable course of action seems to be that Euron captured the Warlocks, learned about the Dragons and possibilities to control them and then used the warlocks magic to sail safely to Valyria and back getting the armor and possibly the dragonhorn.

The VS armor makes me think Euron really did visit Valyria, but how did he manage to return when others couldn't? If there's a safe way to traverse the Smoking Sea, who could have taught Euron about it? Perhaps the Faceless Men, if they really did cause the Doom. I wonder if Euron is working more closely with the Faceless Men than we expected: The dragon egg to kill Balon may not be the extent of their transactions.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:42 AM, fractured_pelvis said:

why are people so willing to believe that no-one can enter the ruins of valyria?

If he did, then think of all the treasures he could have picked up; or perhaps he came upon Gerion Lannister's ship after whatever befell him.

Because Ruins of Valyria been described as unsurvivable. Its described as full of smoke made out of unbreathable vapor (its a smoldering cauldron  of supervolcano after all), full of demons (??) and mutations. 

I think that Euron is full of it and he didn't actually get there. But plundering remnants of Gerion's ship (perhaps being the cause of its demise too) that I can believe!

5 hours ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

The VS armor makes me think Euron really did visit Valyria, but how did he manage to return when others couldn't? If there's a safe way to traverse the Smoking Sea, who could have taught Euron about it? Perhaps the Faceless Men, if they really did cause the Doom. I wonder if Euron is working more closely with the Faceless Men than we expected: The dragon egg to kill Balon may not be the extent of their transactions.

I am just not sure that he did visit Valyria, but he certainly visited Qarth warlocks as well as Asshai. Visiting Valyria and gathering treasures is something that warlocks and magic practitioners do on regular basis, Euron might as well have gotten that Valyrian armor from the same source as Dragonhorn.

At this point, I am thinking that Euron's armor is one and only Valyrian armor that we will see and somehow it ends up with Jon Snow. As he dreams about wearing it on the wall.

On June 23, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Brad Stark said:

It is light. In book three a, Storm of sSwords, wen Tywin shows Tryion the two blades he made from Ice, one for Jamie and Joffery, Tryion  mentions how light the swords are in his hand, how thin the blade is and it being able to still hold strength over normal steel swords. Areon also comments wen he sees Euron in the Valyrian armor that it's as if he was wearing a silk garment the way he moved around in it. It's stronger, and lighter than any normal armor. The glyphs written over it are protective spells put into the suit to ward off cuts from steel swords/arrows. One of the pit fighters in Dance was said to be tatted with the glyphs although ser Barristen wasn't sure If it would protect the man or not. Quohor smiths are the only ones said to be able to rework Valyrian steel and they can even produce the stuff, although no one knows how close to the actual Freeholds the smiths can get their steel. Blood sacrifice is used in the production of Valyrian steel per the notes of maester Pol, who was the one who discovered this tidbit.

Sam is in the perfect position to stumble onto maester Pol's book at the citadel and let Jon know of the ability a of the smiths in Quohorok. Then it's only a matter of sending someone to retrieve the swords and armor from Qohorik smiths to put it to use aginst the Nights King and his dead army. Jons has gold he got from the iron bank. He could use some of it to purchase some armor and swords for the battle of the long night.

Archived