"I choose violence"

Biffins

12 minutes ago, jakelamotta said:

It is still the mountains body, he is not any bigger and the mountain was a man albeit a big one. If he actually had to fight all of them they would win, we are talking ten men here.

Grenn and crew were fewer and they took down an actual giant.

The best choice of action would be to tackle him toghether, once on the ground he would be easy to finish of. Of course he would take quite a few of the sparrows with him but I doubt the mountain could take them all if they attacked as a group.

I think the question is not whether he could straight up overpower them, but more can he actually be stopped or killed at this point?

5 minutes ago, No One of Importance said:

I think the question is not whether he could straight up overpower them, but more can he actually be stopped or killed at this point?

Yeah, I think FrankenGregor can quite likely be destroyed (e.g. burned, submerged in acid, etc.) but I seriously doubt he can be killed anymore.  You see, one cannot kill what is already dead;)

4 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, I think FrankenGregor can quite likely be destroyed (e.g. burned, submerged in acid, etc.) but I seriously doubt he can be killed anymore.  You see, one cannot kill what is already dead;)

And therein lies the question: Just how dead (or undead) is he? If he no longer feels pain, for example, he'd be a lot harder to bring down.

Just now, No One of Importance said:

And therein lies the question: Just how dead (or undead) is he? If he no longer feels pain, for example, he'd be a lot harder to bring down.

Well, he certainly felt absolutely nothing when receiving two big spikes right in the middle of his chest.  He just looked at the guy and then ripped his or someone else's head off with his bare hands.  Yeah, I don't think FrankenGregor in the show is gonna go down via "conventional" means ;)

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

I wonder what the Ironborn would make of him. Avatar of the drowned god? :P

Good catch. 

Didn't realize it was different at all.

As others have pointed out, HBO doesn't cut their own trailers - rarely to TV shows ever cut their trailers; that's more PR / marketing firms etc to do. 

As for the reason for the change? Who knows. The show version of the line felt consistent with what Cersei was going through. A more firm delivery of the line, knowing that she was finally able to essentially release her trump card in the Mountain. 

The trailer delivery felt more.... evil, to me. 

8 hours ago, jakelamotta said:

It is still the mountains body, he is not any bigger and the mountain was a man albeit a big one. If he actually had to fight all of them they would win, we are talking ten men here.

Grenn and crew were fewer and they took down an actual giant.

The best choice of action would be to tackle him toghether, once on the ground he would be easy to finish of. Of course he would take quite a few of the sparrows with him but I doubt the mountain could take them all if they attacked as a group.

I'm not sure you can say that with Gregor. Whatever force is holding him together is probably not going to stop at any type of damage. The only way he's going down if is his head gets hacked off. It's going to be tough to do that with that much armor and force behind it, I don't think 10 sparrows with maces is going to stop him. They're going to need long spears that can penetrate the armor to stick him enough to slow him down and get the actual kill.

I was quite getting into that scene, so it was disappointing when it just killed one of them. I was expecting (and hoping for) Gregor to kill every one of them but Lancel, to send a message.

17 hours ago, Fredwin said:

I'm not sure you can say that with Gregor. Whatever force is holding him together is probably not going to stop at any type of damage. The only way he's going down if is his head gets hacked off. It's going to be tough to do that with that much armor and force behind it, I don't think 10 sparrows with maces is going to stop him. They're going to need long spears that can penetrate the armor to stick him enough to slow him down and get the actual kill.

On top of that, he was actually well known for wading into mobs of infantry and laying waste during the war when he was still alive and his massive size meant he was a huge and easily spotted target, and still he lived. If a horde or armed infantry couldn't manage to kill him in all those battles, then a pack of ten sparrows would pose zero threat. Now he has the added advantage of being an undead that feels no pain and is not effected by damage to body or organs.

I have no doubt he could walk into the sept and kill every last sparrow in there by himself if Cersei ordered it, not that most of them would stick around that long. The terror effect of something like that showing up and laying about with that sword would have those sparrows running in terror before he managed to kill a dozen. Hell, Lancel's ten sparrows ran and cowered in the corner the minute he grabbed that one guy by the throat, they didn't do shit to help their buddy that was being strangled right in front of them. Robert Strong would make them forget all about their vows to the faith, and the only god they would be praying too is the god of "lets get the fuck out of here!"

18 hours ago, Fredwin said:

And I think you're missing an important factor. With the exception of Lancel, who by his performance at the Blackwater wasn't really that good, none of them seem to be trained fighters.

On 14.6.2016 at 9:20 PM, Prince of the North said:

Well, he certainly felt absolutely nothing when receiving two big spikes right in the middle of his chest. 

I had the impression that these spikes didn't do much damage beyond poking holes in the breastplate. With some padding worn unterneath, that blow might just have left a few scratches on Gregors chest. 

That idiot sparrow basically aimed for the least vulnerabe spot on a 8 ft guy.

24 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

I had the impression that these spikes didn't do much damage beyond poking holes in the breastplate. With some padding worn unterneath, that blow might just have left a few scratches on Gregors chest. 

The first thought when I saw the scene was 'oh man, you can't kill what is already dead', I think that the spike reached his abdomen but he can't die because he's a zombie

Scenes and important lines like this are often shot many times with the actor/actress asked to place different emphasis on the key parts, 

The director and editing staff then view these in post production and select the one they think best fits the tone they want to produce.

The early trailers have obviously picked up a different cut 

4 hours ago, Rhollo said:

Yeah...I'm not so sure.  When I saw the scene again I realized that it was actually four spikes and the spikes were about 5 or 6 inches long.  I think the point of that was to show that UnGregor is basically invulnerable now.  I'm sure things like fire, acid, explosives, etc. can damage him but probably not more "conventional" means that are quite deadly to mortals.  I doubt he feels pain anymore and I doubt he could bleed to death anymore, etc.:dunno:

3 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

The first thought when I saw the scene was 'oh man, you can't kill what is already dead', I think that the spike reached his abdomen but he can't die because he's a zombie

Me, too!

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 9:45 PM, No One of Importance said:

A reference to when Tyrion got Pod three whores but they wouldn't accept his money, no?

Oh yes, I know that, but I meant why include that character trait/plot point at all? It's not in the books, and it's fucking retarded

Archived