What's The Hound's Purpose?

[Deleted]

In the preview trailer, we see the Hound treating some poor sap, likely a member of the BWB, the way he treated firewood all last episode. But ok, fine, the Hound turns into the Bride from Kill Bill and gets revenge..... Then what? What's his role in the overall story, and why bring him back at all? We all know/hope for Cleganebowl, but again.... Then what? Is his only purpose to take down Zombie Gregor?

Basically, what I'm asking is: predict the Hound's remaining story arc and what his purpose is in the grand scheme of things.

A good path for his character to follow, in my opinion, is have him meet Brienne again in the Riverlands. Tense moments, looks like a fight is about to breakout but Brienne has more important things to worry about like the battle at Winterfell. She asks him to come North with them because she knows he's a formidable fighter and he could be very useful, and he tells her to fuck off in proper Sandor fashion. A bit of time after that, have him meet up with Arya once she returns to Westeros. She already said that he's not on her list anymore (foreshadowing maybe). He informs her that her sister and brothers are back up in the North and she says she's going there. He decides to go with her because "a girl needs a travelling partner". Afterwards, when they get to the North, Arya tells Jon how much The Hound has helped her in the past and Jon offers him a place in Winterfell. When Sam gets back up North with Heartsbane, he gives it to The Hound to use in the battle against the White Walkers. Who else is going to wield that sword? Davos isn't a good fighter and even though Tormund is, he's not much of a swordsman. So in the final battle, you have Jon fighting The Night's King, The Hound and Brienne fighting The White Walker Generals, and Dany burning the Wights with dragon fire. 

Tried to keep it as brief and summarized as i can but that, for me, would be good to see. In a perfect world, The Hound and Arya meet Nymeria and her pack of wolves on the way to Winterfell but I doubt the show will do the wolf pack because CGI and trained wolves are costly to them.

31 minutes ago, The Hound 25 said:

A good path for his character to follow, in my opinion, is have him meet Brienne again in the Riverlands. Tense moments, looks like a fight is about to breakout but Brienne has more important things to worry about like the battle at Winterfell. She asks him to come North with them because she knows he's a formidable fighter and he could be very useful, and he tells her to fuck off in proper Sandor fashion. A bit of time after that, have him meet up with Arya once she returns to Westeros. She already said that he's not on her list anymore (foreshadowing maybe). He informs her that her sister and brothers are back up in the North and she says she's going there. He decides to go with her because "a girl needs a travelling partner". Afterwards, when they get to the North, Arya tells Jon how much The Hound has helped her in the past and Jon offers him a place in Winterfell. When Sam gets back up North with Heartsbane, he gives it to The Hound to use in the battle against the White Walkers. Who else is going to wield that sword? Davos isn't a good fighter and even though Tormund is, he's not much of a swordsman. So in the final battle, you have Jon fighting The Night's King, The Hound and Brienne fighting The White Walker Generals, and Dany burning the Wights with dragon fire. 

Tried to keep it as brief and summarized as i can but that, for me, would be good to see. In a perfect world, The Hound and Arya meet Nymeria and her pack of wolves on the way to Winterfell but I doubt the show will do the wolf pack because CGI and trained wolves are costly to them.

Really like this idea of things, hope it pans out like this and we have the hound fighting for the starks.

5 minutes ago, Morgain said:

I'd like to see him team with Arya too and I thought it was quite likely. But then I thought how Arya left him to die slowly and painfully of a wound. Slight problem there.

True... But he may also follow the chain of thought that Arya is one of the reasons he's alive. If she didn't leave him there he'd be dead since she would have killed him

6 hours ago, The Hound 25 said:

True... But he may also follow the chain of thought that Arya is one of the reasons he's alive. If she didn't leave him there he'd be dead since she would have killed him

I think both Stark girls taught him he was more than The Hound. They gave him a purpose and he's heading North 

Maybe he has graduated Hound School and is now a Wolf!

Once he is done with the BWB guys he will head north.  
I don think he has any ill will to Brienne.  Sure she beat him, but that was just a fight. Hes probably over that.

I suspect he will end up with Heartsbane and fight the WW.

10 hours ago, The Hound 25 said:

How's Sam getting North? He can't finish Maester training that quick, he can't smuggle Gilly into the Citadel either. So he walks back to the North. 

That would be the happiest of story arcs, so I predict that the Hound will kill Brienne and then meet up with Arya and kill her too and then go back to the inn where he's offered every f*cking chicken in the room and he's like "No thanks I'm a vegetarian now". That's how the show usually works with stuff we want to see happen. 

35 minutes ago, chasing the dragons said:

He can't finish Maester training that quick,

In a world where Jon and Sansa can get from the wall to bear island to Deepwood Motte in, presumably, 30 minutes and, I figure, we can expect LF and the Knights of the Vale to make it from the bloody gate to the walls of winterfell in an hour I have no problem believing that sam can finish Maester U in just under 20 minutes and possibly hitch a ride in Gendry's row boat over to winterfell in time to meet Jon, LF, The Knights of the Vale and 62 Mormont men and their annoying little queen so everyone can follow sansa into battle becaue, as we know from the show, any woman who takes a hard dicking (cf. Dany) is now a battle commander. 

48 minutes ago, DamonDanceForMe said:

In a world where Jon and Sansa can get from the wall to bear island to Deepwood Motte in, presumably, 30 minutes and, I figure, we can expect LF and the Knights of the Vale to make it from the bloody gate to the walls of winterfell in an hour I have no problem believing that sam can finish Maester U in just under 20 minutes and possibly hitch a ride in Gendry's row boat over to winterfell in time to meet Jon, LF, The Knights of the Vale and 62 Mormont men and their annoying little queen so everyone can follow sansa into battle becaue, as we know from the show, any woman who takes a hard dicking (cf. Dany) is now a battle commander. 

maybe Ghost is on his way to Oldtown to give Sam, Gilly & Son a ride back to WFell

1 hour ago, elbucho3 said:

That would be the happiest of story arcs, so I predict that the Hound will kill Brienne and then meet up with Arya and kill her too and then go back to the inn where he's offered every f*cking chicken in the room and he's like "No thanks I'm a vegetarian now". That's how the show usually works with stuff we want to see happen. 

"If any more words come pouring out of that cunt mouth of yours, I'm going to have to eat every beet, radish, artichoke and carrot in this room"

On 6/9/2016 at 0:18 PM, Aegonzo The Great said:

In the preview trailer, we see the Hound treating some poor sap, likely a member of the BWB, the way he treated firewood all last episode. But ok, fine, the Hound turns into the Bride from Kill Bill and gets revenge..... Then what? What's his role in the overall story, and why bring him back at all? We all know/hope for Cleganebowl, but again.... Then what? Is his only purpose to take down Zombie Gregor?

Basically, what I'm asking is: predict the Hound's remaining story arc and what his purpose is in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not sure I can predict what will happen any better than anyone else, but the Hound's plot as things stand is full of possibilities. Yes the two most obvious are Cleganebowl(get hype!) and hunting down the Brotherhood. But that's hardly all he could contribute to the story. Hunting down the Brotherhood is likely to make him cross paths with Brienne again. A rematch could be possible, but oddly enough I don't think there would be much resentment between the two. Let us remember his enemies are also the Lannisters due to Gregor and his desertion at the Blackwater, who are also in the Riverlands. Also, he has a curious relationship with both Stark girls which could come into play at some point. Sansa especially, though Arya seems like she may finally be on her way back. He actually shares a common set of enemies with most of the protagonists oddly enough.,

Seeing how this season is all about reunions, I expect the Hound to meet up with Arya, and then head North to meet up with Sansa. I expect a tense faceoff with Brienne, only to have Sansa step forward and speak up for him, explaining how the hound saved her during blackwater. Tormund gets killed in the battle of the bastards, and eventually the hound becomes Jon's right hand man, much like the relationship between Jamie and Bronn. I don't think we will ever see a Clagenbowl, I expect a Hound vs Bronn as a bigger possibility.

My predictions are as follows:

I'm thinking about how dark the BWOB has become now.  Dondarrion would rob them, but kill them like that? Sounds more like Lady Stoneheart to me. I'm thinking the reason the BWOB killed Septon Ray/Maribald and his followers, is because Lady Stoneheart is running them now.  I think Sandor will kill several of them, until coming face to face with her. Then he's gonna bend the knee and join her cause. If she doesn't lynch his ass.

I think she's gonna wipe the Freys out herself with the BWOB & Sandor, in both books and show.

Archived