What's The Hound's Purpose?

[Deleted]

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Well, there are other reasons they could have had him show his penis, just saying... LSH is not on the show, they are not going there. Sandor's story is about his own story. LSH is not fighting the cold winds rising in the north. But Sandor will in the books, too. They are using the BWB as a plot device for Sandor. That means he's the important one here.

Sandor is the one they brought back, with much fanfare. Sandor. So they must have a reason. Who is up north? Sansa. And interestingly enough, she was on his mind when he was dying, the pretty sister, his one happy memory would be to be with her... could be he is with her one day. He loves her, they have shown that pretty clearly. Over and over again.

(But he does need a good sword... "Valyrian steel. I always wanted some Valyrian steel.")

This is great.

7 minutes ago, Karmarni said:

She loves him in the books, he's her touchstone character. 

I call BS on this statement.  Sansa's POV chapters for like the entire last 2 books didn't mention Sandor once.   If she ever did love him (I disagree) that ship sailed.

3 minutes ago, Mark the Red said:

Sansa's POV chapters for like the entire last 2 books didn't mention Sandor once.

Um... she does mention him in the majority of her chapters in ASOS and AFFC. Actually, that's when she invents the UnKiss.

Back to the OT, I believe Sandor will somehow get a Valyrian sword and become the last LC of the Night's Watch.  Then he will curb stomp some WW ass the remaining season.  Or he will become a personal bodyguard of Sansa / Jon / King of the North.  Then he will curb stomp some WW ass the remaining season.  Don't know what his purpose will be, but it will involve Sandor curb stomping WW ass the remaining season.  To be honest, its not really important what his purpose will be, he's just an effective curb-stomping delivery system for the TV series.

She mentions him all the time, kissing, naked in bed, his cloak, wishes he was there, imagines he *is* there, hears his voice, places him in the marriage bed... and much more. The last two books, she goes into overdrive, Hound-a-palooza.

While I don't know that I agree there will be any romance there, it seems clear at least in the show that Sandor is going to matter to the plot in the North which will put him in Sansa's story once more. I'm honestly just really interested to see why and where it's going to go. (Although it's really possible it's just that he's a great fighter so they need him up there). 

I'm going to rely on GRRM's "unreliable" narrator discussion regarding Sansa and Sandor.  Sansa has gone too far down the political side of GOT to throw it all away to marry / have a serious relationship with Sandor.  

That said, I certainly do believe Sandor and Sansa will meet again and their relationship is important to the overall story somehow.      But Sandor in my mind views Sansa as an object of good and pure , and something worth protecting from the dark cruel world he inhabits /belongs to.  I 100% don't believe Sandor's infatuation with Sansa is lust, and he would probably spurn Sansa's advances initially.   Sansa would REALLY have to be forward for it to happen.  

The more I see how the show is hyping up Sandor, the more I believe how important a character Sandor will be in the end game.   And I don't see how being some plaything for Sansa's lust as a very important plot device for the show, books, final war with the others.

Like I said above, I see Sandor as some uber-knight in shining armor in the final war with the Others.  Sandor has always fought out of fear-of-authority, or someone else pulling rank.  And simply put, he has been a remarkably effective killer / soldier in that role.  BUT if he starts to fight for his heart and love of what Sansa represents, he will be in a whole other realm of ass-kickery.  

Its going to be awesome.   

Clearly you've put a lot more thought into this than I have.  I am entirely truthful with you by saying in that in my reading of all of Sansa's chapters, I didn't see such an emphasis on Sandor as you do.   In my opinion, I always saw her comments with Sandor as a "teenage-good-girl-loves-a-bad-boy" wish thinking.   By the time she takes her mantle as Queen of the North, I'm sure she will have outgrown it.    

That said, I would be happy  to be wrong in this instance, and I would very much like Sandor to get something good out of these stories.  He has lived a terribly miserable life, considering his considerable martial prowess and how important  this skill is in Westerosi society in terms of advancing yourself (i.e., Bronn).

If Sandor and Sansa marry and become happily ever after, I too will be happy.    I just know GRRM too well to ever imagine that happening.   Like I said earlier, I see Sandor's main arc not one of romantic redemption / reward but of a fiercely loyal knight in shining armor protection his queen from the evils of the world.  In fact, I would see Sandor ACTUALLY more happy in this role than as Sansa's romance interest-plaything.

Sandor is going to the North and will meet Sansa. GET HYPE.

3 minutes ago, The Yung Wulf said:

The Sandor killing Ramsey theory got a lot stronger after this episode, IMO.

I hadn't heard of that! Got a link?

23 minutes ago, The Yung Wulf said:

It was mentioned in a post from last weeks episode. Basically has to do with Ramsey killing everyone via his hounds, and the Hound coming to kill him to save Sansa.

Yum. I like. 

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

She mentions him all the time, kissing, naked in bed, his cloak, wishes he was there, imagines he *is* there, hears his voice, places him in the marriage bed... and much more. The last two books, she goes into overdrive, Hound-a-palooza.

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Actually, Sandor wants to fuck Sansa, too.

I'd emphasyse my support but Dido said it better.

Archived