What's The Hound's Purpose?

[Deleted]

4 minutes ago, PyromancersPiss said:

My predictions are as follows:

I'm thinking about how dark the BWOB has become now.  Dondarrion would rob them, but kill them like that? Sounds more like Lady Stoneheart to me. I'm thinking the reason the BWOB killed Septon Ray/Maribald and his followers, is because Lady Stoneheart is running them now.  I think Sandor will kill several of them, until coming face to face with her. Then he's gonna bend the knee and join her cause. If she doesn't lynch his ass.

I think she's gonna wipe the Freys out herself with the BWOB & Sandor, in both books and show.

After Arya poisons the remaining Freys at the Late Lord’s last and final wedding, she’ll slip away unnoticed to patiently awake the inevitable conclusion of her plan years now in the making.

Then as Lord Walter and all his kind begin to strangle à la Joffery, their panicked eyes will finally align up her hiding place there in the shadows under her mother’s approving wing.

The last thing the Freys hear is Catelyn’s twisted laughter ringing in their ears.

On 6/10/2016 at 9:08 AM, bfin said:

I think both Stark girls taught him he was more than The Hound. They gave him a purpose and he's heading North 

I would like to think that, but I don't know. I could see him finding importance in helping Sansa, especially if he heard the story about Ramsay's treatment of her. Although I am not sure that he will learn that story, or even meet anyone to entice him to move north. If he went to RR and just happened to bump into Brienne...maybe. I just don't know though... 

53 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sansa. The show has been hinting heavily. Lots of hints from the books are also on the show. He gives her his cloak (in her thoughts in the books she pretends they kissed and places him in the marriage bed). She's his dying thought and he's the one she dreams of (and watch the frames dissolve in the end on the show, that's at the same story point as her dream of him in the books).

Beauty and the Beast hints over and over again. Even last season, Ramsay said he expected a bearded beast, but got a beauty. Sandor also said "ask her who came back for her" and Ray says "it's never too late to come back." And lots of parallels and hints, they just gave him a soup and ale callback to match Sansa's earlier soup and ale scene, which was a callback to his earlier soup and ale scene.

There's a lot more, and they've hinted that there would be more, too. My guess, he'll run into Arya, and they'll head north. He has more story to come with Sansa.

I agree. I don't see any reason for him to head back to KL. But at the same time, I am not sure that he makes it to Winterfell this season. It would be pretty great if he played a role in the battle, but I don't think enough has been set up. 

21 minutes ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

I agree. I don't see any reason for him to head back to KL. But at the same time, I am not sure that he makes it to Winterfell this season. It would be pretty great if he played a role in the battle, but I don't think enough has been set up. 

Yeah, I don't think he's in the battle. My guess is he and Arya cross paths, they are both out for payback in the same locale (Arya for Walder Frey). And then they'll head north. Probably won't happen until the finale, to set up next season.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:18 AM, Aegonzo The Great said:

In the preview trailer, we see the Hound treating some poor sap, likely a member of the BWB, the way he treated firewood all last episode. But ok, fine, the Hound turns into the Bride from Kill Bill and gets revenge..... Then what? What's his role in the overall story, and why bring him back at all? We all know/hope for Cleganebowl, but again.... Then what? Is his only purpose to take down Zombie Gregor?

Basically, what I'm asking is: predict the Hound's remaining story arc and what his purpose is in the grand scheme of things.

He is Arya's Hodor.  We've already learned from Bran and Meera that there is no substitute for the original :P

The setup on the show for Sandor Clegane is from "the gods have a plan for Sandor Clegane." The character himself says that it's now been said two times. The McShane 'Ray' character then mentions the Seven, the Old Gods, the Red God. Sandor has meet representatives of the Seven and the Red God. So up next, the Old Gods.

But first, he's going to take care of those men from the (rogue?) BwB. Perhaps meet Thoros again. One of the three riders that visited the slain group was wearing the Twins insignia. So I expect a visit to Walder Frey may be in order, where Sandor may 

Spoiler

meet up with Arya if the rumors are true.

I'd say he goes to Winterfell after the visit to the Twins. The North is where the Old Gods are. And having been marked for "use" by the gods, all the gods, I'd say that Sandor Clegane's role in the story is more important than a personal revenge vendetta against his undead brother. So the internet-generated 'Cleganebowl' is unlikely to happen. If Sandor kills his undead brother, it would be to protect someone and/or something. I can't say that wouldn't be without significance, but it lacks the full-blown drama of being marked by all the gods.

Protection is Sandor's role in the story. Check out the immediate heads up and suspicion, plus his conversation with Ray when the riders come and then after. Sandor means 'protector of mankind' as an offshoot of Alexander. Names are important; remember your name.

And Sandor has unfinished business with Sansa. He left her, after offering his protection. She's sent Brienne to the Riverlands. Jon will be busy in battle and as a result of his revelations. Littlefinger is someone Sansa needs to deal with first. 

But after that? Sandor and Sansa belong together. Two mirrored characters, similar names, and a joint love of, and hatred for, knights, along with ale, killing and home. It took, and will take, the telling of the story for them to be on the same page. But they for sure will be.

23 minutes ago, Karmarni said:

The setup on the show for Sandor Clegane is from "the gods have a plan for Sandor Clegane." The character himself says that it's now been said two times. The McShane 'Ray' character then mentions the Seven, the Old Gods, the Red God. Sandor has meet representatives of the Seven and the Red God. So up next, the Old Gods.

So he got a date with a weirwood then? Are there any other living representatives of the Old Gods?

5 hours ago, Karmarni said:

But first, he's going to take care of those men from the (rogue?) BwB. Perhaps meet Thoros again. One of the three riders that visited the slain group was wearing the Twins insignia. So I expect a visit to Walder Frey may be in order, where Sandor may 

Hide contents

I'd say he goes to Winterfell after the visit to the Twins. The North is where the Old Gods are. And having been marked for "use" by the gods, all the gods, I'd say that Sandor Clegane's role in the story is more important than a personal revenge vendetta against his undead brother. So the internet-generated 'Cleganebowl' is unlikely to happen. If Sandor kills his undead brother, it would be to protect someone and/or something. I can't say that wouldn't be without significance, but it lacks the full-blown drama of being marked by all the gods.

Protection is Sandor's role in the story. Check out the immediate heads up and suspicion, plus his conversation with Ray when the riders come and then after. Sandor means 'protector of mankind' as an offshoot of Alexander. Names are important; remember your name.

And Sandor has unfinished business with Sansa. He left her, after offering his protection. She's sent Brienne to the Riverlands. Jon will be busy in battle and as a result of his revelations. Littlefinger is someone Sansa needs to deal with first. 

But after that? Sandor and Sansa belong together. Two mirrored characters, similar names, and a joint love of, and hatred for, knights, along with ale, killing and home. It took, and will take, the telling of the story for them to be on the same page. But they for sure will be.

Well said.

5 hours ago, Karmarni said:

Reveal hidden contents

I am astounded, impressed, and humbled by your observation that one of the riders was wearing the Twins sigil.  I could not dream of having this sort of attention to detail when watching such a complex series.  Off to rewatch the scene now.

Archived