What's The Hound's Purpose?

[Deleted]

26 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I am astounded, impressed, and humbled by your observation that one of the riders was wearing the Twins sigil.  I could not dream of having this sort of attention to detail when watching such a complex series.  Off to rewatch the scene now.

So I watched it back, and the only thing I see that can be interpreted as insignia is the clasps holding the cape on the red bearded guy.  But the Twins Sigil is two towers, and his insignia looks to be something with a high vertical center that doesn't suggest two vertical towers.....What am I missing?

Ultimately I'd like to belive that he will face his brother Gregor, in some scenario or other. The irony will be that to kill his now "undead" brother Sandor  will have to face his greatest fear and use fire.  It'll bring the Glegane brothers story full circle nicely when the Hound uses that which his brother scared him with to end the Mountain.

7 minutes ago, Ser Pip said:

Ultimately I'd like to belive that he will face his brother Gregor, in some scenario or other. The irony will be that to kill his now "undead" brother Sandor  will have to face his greatest fear and use fire.  It'll bring the Glegane brothers story full circle nicely when the Hound uses that which his brother scared him with to end the Mountain.

Oh, why’s that?

After all, Benjen didn’t seem too troubled by the magical flaming morningstar he used to kill the wights with.

Just now, Bear Claw said:

Wow! Looks like we might see a Sansa and Sandor reunion. I would love to see Jon fight with a flaming sword like Beric does. I can't wait to see what is going to happen with this group.  I hope they get to the North this season. 

Thoros does too actually! He's an even better fighter than Beric and has beaten Hound up a few times himself :D 

11 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

Wow! Looks like we might see a Sansa and Sandor reunion. I would love to see Jon fight with a flaming sword like Beric does. I can't wait to see what is going to happen with this group.  I hope they get to the North this season. 

Just what I'm thinking.  I hope he reaches North in time for Bastardbowl

5 minutes ago, Robb_Warged said:

Just what I'm thinking.  I hope he reaches North in time for Bastardbowl

Nah, I think we'll stick around with the BwB for now. Sansa and Sandor meeting again does look possible now, though, at some point. As for the Hound, looks like he's going to be quite important as he's largely become the focus of the BwB plot. Getting plenty of screentime since his return.

Just now, Jairion Lannister said:

Nah, I think we'll stick around with the BwB for now. Sansa and Sandor meeting again does look possible now, though, at some point. As for the Hound, looks like he's going to be quite important as he's largely become the focus of the BwB plot. Getting plenty of screentime since his return.

I thought the BWB are heading North.  They keep talking about a greater purpose and i took that as fighting the White Walkers but maybe that was just me making connections and not what the dialogue suggested

1 minute ago, Robb_Warged said:

I thought the BWB are heading North.  They keep talking about a greater purpose and i took that as fighting the White Walkers but maybe that was just me making connections and not what the dialogue suggested

Yeah, you're right. Indication definitely was that they'll be heading North soon, but not sure it'll be right now, as in for the next episode. Probably into Season 7 once more and more people are growing aware of the threat.

It's been hammered into our heads at least twice now that the gods have something huge in mind for Sandor Clegane. 

Clearly, the Hound is Azor Ahai.

j/k :P

But it's something big. My bet would be on him fighting the White Walkers as a Stark bannerman in the ultimate battle of good vs evil. And he'll get there via his allegiance to Arya and Sansa.

A few points:

1. I don't think he'll hold it against Arya that she left him for dead. As someone above pointed out: by refusing his plea to put him out of his misery, she ultimately saved his life.

2. I don't see Cleganebowl as being what the gods brought him back for. Besides, Gregor is already dead; Oberyn Martell killed the man that Sandor knew as his brother. Sandor may at some point fight Frankengregor - but it won't be out of revenge for Gregor burning him. Sandor has moved on from that. More likely, he would fight Frankengregor if the monster went after someone Sandor cared about (most likely Sansa). 

3. I do think Sandor has unfinished business with Sansa, but I'm not certain it will be romantic. Book Sansa is in love with The Hound but Show Sansa never seemed to be all that into him. Granted, a lot has changed in Sansa since she last set eyes on Sandor. She's an adult now, and certainly wiser and more cynical ... While he has become more ... I almost want to say more gentle, even though he just slaughtered a bunch of men with an ax. We're definitely seeing effects of Brother Ray's influence on him. So in a way, even though they've both grown in opposite directions, they've also experienced growth that would allow them to form romantic relationships with another person. So I guess it's possible that he's intended as Sansa's one and only.

Archived