What's The Hound's Purpose?

[Deleted]

19 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

The Hound will fight Ramsay's Hounds in a HOUDBOWL!!! GET HYPE!!! #HoundBowl

HoundBowl > CleganeBowl

LMFAO, I spat my drink out. thats awesome. Id pay to see it hhahahaha

The Hound is meant to tell Sansa the truth of what LittleFinger did to her father. If hes going North and reunites with her, and sees her with Baelish..he was in the throne room when Ned was arrested. He can tell her how her father was betrayed by LF

And for lovey dovey purposes..be the knight in shining armor she always dreamed of, he just doesnt look like it

Actually, GRRM prefers the Cocteau version of Beauty and the Beast (he requested calendar art for Sansa and the Hound like that at the link, too):

Those familiar with the 1991 cartoon will recognize some of the elements of the story, but certainly not the tone. Cocteau uses haunting images and bold Freudian symbols to suggest that emotions are at a boil in the subconscious of his characters. Consider the extraordinary shot where Belle waits at the dining table in the castle for the Beast's first entrance. He appears behind her and approaches silently. She senses his presence, and begins to react in a way that some viewers have described as fright, although it is clearly orgasmic. Before she has even seen him, she is aroused to her very depths, and a few seconds later, as she tells him she cannot marry--a Beast!--she toys with a knife that is more than a knife.

The Blackwater Sansa and the Hound scene he wrote was an homage to that.

Also he touches on his own writing for Beauty and the Beast. From his site (where there's also this), this was before the show, he chose Rory to play the Hound:

"Getting to write words for Ron Perlman was one of the best parts of the three years I spent as a writer and producer on BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. We had a great team on that show; terrific writers, a top-notch crew, and a superb cast. Ron was twice nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of Vincent. If anyone ever makes a film of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, I wanted him to play the Hound."

On 14/6/2016 at 0:36 AM, daemonTheBlack said:

I wonder if at the end there will be seven Westerosi (or Andal) heroes in the fight against the winter. Embodiments of the seven.

The Hound could be the Warrior / Stranger.

Gendry is the Smith. Lady Olenna is the Crone. Brienne the Maiden.

I know this is wildly off topic, but there I go.

It IS a nice thought! I can see Sandor as the Stranger, of course, but I see Lady Olenna nowhere in this fight. Also, let's genderbend a little, why not Brienne as the Warrior? Sansa as the Mother, maybe LSH as the Crone (or Bran as the Crone). Arya as the Stranger, and the list goes on... I don't know, there are too many candidates for each position, and they've all been developed with depth somewhere else.

Maybe there'll be seven of each.

9 hours ago, Warsaw said:

I know this is wildly off topic, but there I go.

It IS a nice thought! I can see Sandor as the Stranger, of course, but I see Lady Olenna nowhere in this fight. Also, let's genderbend a little, why not Brienne as the Warrior? Sansa as the Mother, maybe LSH as the Crone (or Bran as the Crone). Arya as the Stranger, and the list goes on... I don't know, there are too many candidates for each position, and they've all been developed with depth somewhere else.

Maybe there'll be seven of each.

Yes my first instinct was LSH for the crone, but it seems he is not in the show, so I reconsidered.

Yes Brienne could be the Warrior. Jaime as well. But Brienne being the maiden seems kind of like the cruel humor GRRM loves.

1 minute ago, daemonTheBlack said:

Yes my first instinct was LSH for the crone, but it seems see is not in the show, so I reconsidered.

Yes Brienne could be the Warrior. Jaime as well. But Brienne being the maiden seems kind of like the cruel humor GRRM loves.

Neveeeeeer judge the book from the show. They're ALWAYS giving important plots to different characters!

I discarded the LHS=Crone idea because the Crone must be wise, and LHS certainly isn't. The Maiden, on the other hand, is innocent and peaceful, there's more to the deity than just "never been touched", just like there's more to the Crone than just being old. The Smith, for example, is also patron of the artists, anyone who creates things.

So Brienne wouldn't be the Maiden. Her essence is that of the Warrior. Besides, she's already nicknamed Brienne the Maid, it would be overkill.

4 hours ago, Warsaw said:

Neveeeeeer judge the book from the show. They're ALWAYS giving important plots to different characters!

I discarded the LHS=Crone idea because the Crone must be wise, and LHS certainly isn't. The Maiden, on the other hand, is innocent and peaceful, there's more to the deity than just "never been touched", just like there's more to the Crone than just being old. The Smith, for example, is also patron of the artists, anyone who creates things.

So Brienne wouldn't be the Maiden. Her essence is that of the Warrior. Besides, she's already nicknamed Brienne the Maid, it would be overkill.

Indeed.

But remember this subforum is for the show. So I have to limit my "Seven" to characters from the show.

The connections can definitely be more figurative and not literal. Bran = Crone is a very interesting thought in that way.

Archived