Arya CAN change her face like a Faceless Man

[Deleted]

I interpreted his smile as acknowledgement that she is no one. Then he gave her a job wearing the face of Arya Stark, so she spoke in her face's character. Coming full circle , it is her own character, her identity. On assignment to kill in Westeros.

i wonder if the actress was a witch or former red priestess. The medicine was his up high like it was really valuable, maybe magic.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Arya is still Arya. Jaquen said one way or another a face will be added to the wall. So Arya gave the wall the Waif's face. IMO harvesting the face was her last lesson. I do suspect the Jaquen will show up again. A person like Arya is too valuable a resource to just let roam free. She has access to nobility, can make friends easily and more importantly no one would suspect her.

37 minutes ago, Slaysman said:

I believe Arya is still Arya. Jaquen said one way or another a face will be added to the wall. So Arya gave the wall the Waif's face. IMO harvesting the face was her last lesson. I do suspect the Jaquen will show up again. A person like Arya is too valuable a resource to just let roam free. She has access to nobility, can make friends easily and more importantly no one would suspect her.

I completely agree.

The actor that plays Jaqen has stressed that his face can be used by other FM. There are a rumors that he might be returning next season as well. 

His interview with the Hollywood Reporter was just incredible and gave a lot of insight: 

How would you describe Jaqen's journey, not just this season, but throughout the series?

Well, it's safe to say that the Faceless Men certainly have an interest in what's going on in Westeros. Jaqen just appears from nowhere in season two and picks Arya to train her. Now, by the end of season six, she's pretty much finished her training and going back to Westeros. Unless all of that was really selfless on his part, I think the Faceless Men want to have some sort of influence on what's happening in Westeros, and Arya being their weapon.

Interesting. When Arya leaves Jaqen, one wonders if he's disappointed in her choice — but there's almost a look of pride on his face as she walks away. Is that how you played it?

Yeah. I think Jaqen had a weak moment there. (Laughs.) I think, and it's my interpretation here, that he enjoyed seeing Arya succeed. The whole Waif thing, whatever it may have been, may have just been the ultimate test. He never told her that her training was going to be easy. I think he's been constantly testing her to make sure she gets stronger and make sure she gets to be the best contender in Westeros that she can be.

Is there anything to the irony that Crane is playing Cersei Lannister on stage — one of the final names remaining on Arya's list? Do you see that at all as testing the limits between being Arya and being "no one," someone who is supposed to abandon personal grudges?

I'm not really sure. Jaqen had always said he wanted Arya to become "no one," but I think that was in order to give her the best possible training. I'm not sure he ever expected her to fully become "no one." If she had, then she would just become a Faceless Man in Braavos. I think the ultimate goal has always been for her to go back to Westeros and play some sort of important role in the final battle. I think this whole thing of becoming "no one," it's to give her the best training possible. I don't think he ever expected her to become "no one." That's why there's this smirk in the end, when she tells him that she's still Arya Stark, because I think he's pleased in a way. She's gone through with all the hard training, and now she's ready to go back.

In the final scene of "No One," Jaqen discovers the Waif's severed face, bloodily posted in the Hall of Faces. Seconds later, Arya stands with Needle pointed directly at Jaqen's chest. Do you think there's a moment where Jaqen thinks this might be the end — his moment to meet the Many-Faced God?

Well, for Jaqen, or for me as Jaqen? (Laughs.) The good thing about Jaqen is that he's a Faceless Man, and he could be behind anyone's face. If it's going to be my face again, that remains to be seen, but it's one of the great things about the Faceless Men. In a way, they're immortal, or they're exchangeable if you like. I lent my face to Jaqen, but the person behind his face could easily pick a different one, and so on. That's why this whole philosophy about being "no one," I think it comes from the Faceless Men not being afraid of death. Death is their trade. It's what they do. They administer death to people who are really sick, or people who want to die. The whole killing job is just a side job. The main thing of their sect is to administer the ultimate gift to people who seek it. 

More often than not, tragedy follows the Game of Thrones characters. The moments of sunshine are few and far between. That said, do you think it's a positive development for Arya to have learned what she learned in Braavos, and now to return with that knowledge to Westeros? 

I definitely think so. When she arrived in Braavos, she was just a girl. She sought revenge, but she didn't really know how to go about it. She's a grown-up now. She has a strategy. In a way, she'll be more careful and more aware of the things that will happen to her. I don't want to say she's going to be scheming, but she knows how to handle tricky situations better.

Archived