Dating: “I have this disease late at night sometimes, involving alcohol and the telephone.”

Datepalm

4 hours ago, Datepalm said:

So speaking of awkward, do I make another effort with the Seems Perfectly OK Guy From Uni? We had a week or two of making and breaking dates and never did get that beer/see that movie/etc. (I'm probably more to blame, but not entirely.) Last time I saw him he just kind fo shrugged, said, 'well, we tried,' and didn't bring it up again. Is this some kind of sensible adult conclusion of, like, well, we entertained the possibility, saw neither of us was sufficiently interested really to actually make it happen, ok lets just be classmates, or, like, well, that was a crazy couple of weeks and everyone was swamped and the weather was nasty, so what's up now?

I would generally interpret "well, we tried" as being followed by an unspoken "but it just didn't work out."  If neither of you were interested enough to overcome the everyday obstacles and actually get together, it probably isn't going to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Are you saying you're not sensing a thrilling, desperate, restless passion from me for Seems OK Guy?

B)

I assume that when you refer to him as Seems OK, you mean it in the Caribbean, everything's groovy sort of way.  That being him with fills you with a sense of contentment and calm because no matter what happens, everything seems OK. 

Yes, that. Let's go with that. Groovy contentment, not...'OK I guess I could go meet him but I'm home and in pyjama pants and my 300 GB archive of historical episodes of Horizon is half-downloaded, so...uh..."how about next week, random emoticons."'

Bugger.

After four months, regular electronic contact, and several more meet-ups/hook-ups with three-hours-away girl (both at her place, and at mine), I was really starting to develop feelings for her. I was keeping my emotional distance at the start, both because of the physical distance and because while we get along very well, we don't have that much in common beyond a taste for horror movies. As time went on though, I got more emotionally involved. Anyway, after spending a few days at hers recently, I messaged her tonight, asking if she was OK with me formally upgrading my FB status to "in a relationship" (I figured we'd been in one for a while now, but wanted to make it official).

She replied that she'd been having second thoughts about things, and that while she really liked me and enjoyed my company, she felt she didn't really love me. She wants to remain friends though (depending on how things end up we may end up as friends with benefits).

So yeah. Ouch. And this year was going so awesomely for me too... :(

Archived