Penny Dreadful: Think of me only when you dance [spoilers through season 3]

HexMachina

On 5/16/2019 at 5:57 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

There are so many great episodes in the show but i think the episode each season which is essentially a flashback (closer than sisters, the cutwife, The white room) is always particularly brilliant.

Enjoyed all your new commentary (and, please, ramble on for pages!!!), but this is one of the main things I was gonna mention.  Those flashbacks, particularly the latter two, are essentially bottle episodes.  I've always thought Breaking Bad's "The Fly" is the greatest bottle episode ever, but I have changed my opinion.  "Blades of Grass" is just such a fascinating episode to watch from so many perspectives.  And not only does it advance the narrative, it is essential exposition to the narrative and serves as the (great) set up for the final stretch. 

The biggest plot reason I think I love this show is it's Vanessa fighting off not one but two "brothers of evil," with Lucifer and Dracula.  That wasn't really clarified until the white room.  And the way, well, all three interact with each other in that sequence..Man, I could watch a whole series based off the history of that.  It's an insanely interesting concept to me to put the Dracula that has been popularized over the past century as the brother of the devil.  One as the fallen angel of the profane, the other as the fallen angel of the sacred.

Anyway, the other comments I had were largely thinking about what would have happened to all these surviving characters if Logan/Showtime/whomever decided to continue the show?

Malcolm and Ethan are family now, so that was a nice endpoint for them.  But who wouldn't love to see them get all bored and go on some adventures, right?  And what about Kaetenay?  Feel like the three of them could do some bad ass damage wherever they so chose.

I love the scene where Lily convinces Victor not to "erase" her, and that story is so heartbreaking (and breathtakingly performed by Billie Piper) that anyone with still a semblance of a conscience would have to relent...But upon rewatching I do wonder - was that bunch of bullshit?  I think it could be, and if so I'd absolutely love it as Lily is just sooo much smarter than her creator, and her reason for being, and her chosen lover.  Which brings me to...

They never closed out Dorian's arc.  If I recall he does try to redeem himself at the end (and then that becomes a complication) in the original story, right?  So I'm wondering what they'd do with him at this point.  It seems with his final conversation with Lily they were angling for him to become more villainous/hedonistic, not less.  So maybe they'd up him to a more of a big bad in a subsequent season, rather than the kind of bourgeoisie cherry-on-top his character was throughout the series?  I'd like to see that - and I definitely would like to see his redemption arc.  I suppose they do have that potential with the new one, but I don't expect it.

Catriona Hertdegen was kinda thrown in there at the end, but she's got a pretty big role in the last two episodes.  I thought her character was intriguing and the actress certainly..appealing.  One thing I noticed in the finale is she jumps down ~15 feet in the slow motion way you don't get from regular people.  I mean yeah, Ethan can take that punishment and Vanessa, well, obviously is special.  But I don't the show ever depicted a regular person - like Malcolm, Victor, Sembene, or Dr. Seward - make that type of unrealistic physical feat.  Makes me wonder what they might have had in mind for her...

As for Dr. Seward, I appreciate the continuing references to Stoker's Dracula (Renfield!), and absolutely adore Patti Lupone, but I would suspect she's pretty much done as a character.  She aided Ms. Ives at a crucial moment, but I'm not sure what else you could do with attempts to advance psychology as a discipline.  Maybe get her involved with Victor and Henry's exploits?

Watching the finale, I really do worry about Victor's future, as a fellow addict.  I think Vanessa meant a lot to him in terms of keeping him away from the abyss.  And while he does still have Malcolm and Ethan, Victor seems more like me - he'll descend into reclusiveness and depression when left alone with bad thoughts.  What I do think is interesting is the show seemed to make a clear point that he was improving upon his creations for each three - John Clare to Proteus to Lily.  Lily is very close to perfect resurrection, with immortality and seemingly something close to invulnerability to boot.  

Finally, I was never a big fan of their depiction of Dr. Jekyll/Lord Hyde.  That's probably more an issue with too much stuff getting shoehorned to the final season, but regardless of the cause I don't have many thoughts on how his future would turn out.  I assume not good.

Postscript - if you noticed I did not mention Mr. Clare, it's because I do not believe his story is done.

So..some stuff happened on some other show tonight.  Been thinking about the parallels between the two for awhile, but this just crystallized it.  Spoiler tag time:

Spoiler

When Dany made her heel turn last episode it did remind me of Vanessa succumbing to Dracula's incessant bait.  The two shows are not on the same scope in many ways, but it was interesting that the main female protagonist broke bad in (or I suppose in Vanessa's case precisely before) the penultimate episode.

And then, we get the GoT finale with Jon killing Dany.  Have to say, in movies/TV I've seen, they're ripping off X-Men The Last Stand (I'm sure there are many precedents that I'm not aware of), one of the greatest movies ever that was not really written or directed by any artist.  But that moment is totally Ethan and Vanessa.  You know what the second most saddest part about that is?  Wolverine and Jean probably did it the best even how shitty that movie was.  The saddest part is - hey, why are there so many narratives in which the climax involves some male "protector" killing a woman who has gone mad?  Like, seriously, WTF?

7 hours ago, DMC said:

So..some stuff happened on some other show tonight.  Been thinking about the parallels between the two for awhile, but this just crystallized it.  Spoiler tag time:

Hide contents

When Dany made her heel turn last episode it did remind me of Vanessa succumbing to Dracula's incessant bait.  The two shows are not on the same scope in many ways, but it was interesting that the main female protagonist broke bad in (or I suppose in Vanessa's case precisely before) the penultimate episode.

And then, we get the GoT finale with Jon killing Dany.  Have to say, in movies/TV I've seen, they're ripping off X-Men The Last Stand (I'm sure there are many precedents that I'm not aware of), one of the greatest movies ever that was not really written or directed by any artist.  But that moment is totally Ethan and Vanessa.  You know what the second most saddest part about that is?  Wolverine and Jean probably did it the best even how shitty that movie was.  The saddest part is - hey, why are there so many narratives in which the climax involves some male "protector" killing a woman who has gone mad?  Like, seriously, WTF?

I think with PD though it was handled well because it was ultimately Vanessa’s choice and self-sacrifice, it wasnt some man coming along to rescue the world from some mad woman. She knew that so long as she lived, she would be pursued by Lucifer and Dracula, that her very existence was a threat to the world. So she allowed herself to be sacrificed for the good of others. She essentially begged Ethan to mercy kill her, mirroring the season one possession episode (the two scenes are deliberately parallels of one another - same music, Ethan reciting the Lord’s prayer/chanting in Latin, Vanessa’s heartfelt plea).

I also don’t think Vanessa’s “fall” is portrayed as madness. Rather, its a very natural response to the desperation and isolation she is feeling. Finally this man, who she had fallen for before realising his true nature, tells her he accepts her for who she is, loves her uncomditionally. This occurs at a time when Vanessa has been left alone and without her companions (although, i always found it weird that she and Victor never interacted in S3...). It was important for the plot that she be alone this season for that decision to work.

separate comment, i don’t know if you are aware @DMC but the story continued in a comic series by Chris King. I never read them and having read about the plot i’m kind of glad i didn’t

16 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

She essentially begged Ethan to mercy kill her, mirroring the season one possession episode (the two scenes are deliberately parallels of one another - same music, Ethan reciting the Lord’s prayer/chanting in Latin, Vanessa’s heartfelt plea).

Right, exactly.  Vanessa had to convince Ethan, which is a huge distinction, whereas..

16 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This occurs at a time when Vanessa has been left alone and without her companions (although, i always found it weird that she and Victor never interacted in S3...)

Yeah it's almost frustrating that we never see the two interact.  The checking up scene she has in the season premiere with Lyle, shoulda at least been something like that.  Although I suppose Lyle is a much more comforting character and two of those scenes would be redundant.

22 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Separate comment, i don’t know if you are aware @DMC but the story continued in a comic series by Chris King.

Yes, I remember looking into it when it was mentioned here - pretty sure by you - years ago.  Don't recall specifics but as you said I felt the quality was lacking.

47 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, exactly.  Vanessa had to convince Ethan, which is a huge distinction, whereas..

Yeah it's almost frustrating that we never see the two interact.  The checking up scene she has in the season premiere with Lyle, shoulda at least been something like that.  Although I suppose Lyle is a much more comforting character and two of those scenes would be redundant.

Yes, I remember looking into it when it was mentioned here - pretty sure by you - years ago.  Don't recall specifics but as you said I felt the quality was lacking.

If i had to choose Lyle/Vanessa or Lyle/Frankenstein i choose Lyle everytime. He is fabulous.

Actually i more thought Vanessa might have checked in on Victor once she was out of her deep depression and into functioning depression (the episode one scenes showing Malcom’s house were excellent). They established the brother sister relationship well in the first seasons, especially with the hilarious shopping trip. Victor not going to see her i understand, as he is clearly almost crippled by his addiction in the wake of Season 2, with the horrors of the Witch’s House and the knowledge of what he has created in Lily. And after that he is consumed by his work with Hyde. But you’d think Vanessa might have thought to pay a call.

One of the more laughable and facepalm moments of the season was Malcom and co. just accidentally running into Victor in Bedlam in the finale. Lol, surprise Victor, time to go vampire hunting!

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

But you’d think Vanessa might have thought to pay a call.

Very good point.  She definitely would have after she got out of her funk, that's definitely my head-canon from now on.  Victor had sibling-ish relationships with both her and Ethan.  I love that scene where Ethan's teaching him to shoot and is like "uh-oh, we got in trouble with dad."

23 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

One of the more laughable and facepalm moments of the season was Malcom and co. just accidentally running into Victor in Bedlam in the finale. Lol, surprise Victor, time to go vampire hunting!

LOL.  "What are you doing here?"  "Oh, just decided not to inject a serum that would fundamentally change a woman I've already resurrected.  How bout you?"  "We were interrogating Dr. Seward's insane assistant for information on where all the vampires are so we can go into the heart of darkness.  You must come with us!"

• 1 month later...

“Dreadfuls, some Penny Dreadful: City of Angels news we’ve been dying to share! 

Michael Gladis will play Councilman Charlton Townsend, the ambitious head of the LA City Council's Transportation Committee...a man of killer instincts and ruthless political Wiles.

Lorenza Izzo will play Santa Muerte, the Angel of Holy Death, and sister of charismatic demoness, Magda (Natalie Dormer)

Also joining Penny Dreadful: City of Angels are Adam Rodriguez as Raul Vega, Thomas Kretschmann as Richard Goss, Dominic Sherwood as Kurt, and Ethan Peck as Herman Ackerman.”

i know some of those names! :P 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lorenza Izzo will play Santa Muerte, the Angel of Holy Death, and sister of charismatic demoness, Magda (Natalie Dormer)

For some reason this just makes me want to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

• 6 months later...

I feel I would appreciate this trailer more if it didn’t have Penny Dreadful in the name. It looks too colorful or something. I guess my brain is still resisting this even know it’s been like 3 and a half years already since the original finale.

39 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I feel I would appreciate this trailer more if it didn’t have Penny Dreadful in the name. It looks too colorful or something. I guess my brain is still resisting this even know it’s been like 3 and a half years already since the original finale.

I'm ok if it's more colorful, but it was too much in daylight, not enough in darkness. :devil:

53 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

That long?! As i said in another thread, where does time go?

I agree with you though, i think this looks decent but I don’t get the Penny Dreadful feel from it. Although to be fair the trailer was kinda sparse and the shots with Dormer in looked more promising on that front.

Also what will it take to make it sink in that i should be tagged in these kinds of posts?!

Observe the correct etiquette *mutters in Verbis Diablo*

@DMC

Agree with everyone that it lacks the PD flavor.  Not just the coloring/lack of darkness, it seemed too..slick to me.  Like I was watching a Westworld trailer.  But it's just a trailer, who knows.  Plus, looks like we have another supernatural sisterly rivalry, and that's all Penny Dreadful.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Also what will it take to make it sink in that i should be tagged in these kinds of posts?!

Observe the correct etiquette *mutters in Verbis Diablo*

@DMC

Appreciate the consideration! :)

It looks like season 2 of True Detective mixed with the supernatural elements we thought season 1 of True Detective had.  I mean, transportation-related conspiracy, right?

That said, I actually trust Logan to hew closer to the things we loved about PD than this appears.

• 4 weeks later...

all the clips so far have been pretty scarce on the supernatural, hopefully they are just saving this for the actual show.

Though i do recall some comments that this delved much more into the social issues of the time than the original

• 3 weeks later...

Archived