Penny Dreadful: Think of me only when you dance [spoilers through season 3]

HexMachina

I'm curious but not excited so far. I have to say the one thing this trailer made me feel is that it looks cheaper than Penny Dreadful. Doubtless the fact that the latter was all in sets, often dark, let the cinematography and the imagintion do a lot of the heavy lifting... whereas here, a lot of the scenes out in bright, sunny Los Angeles seem bland. Particularly the scene with the shotgun houses where there's some sort of protest/riot going on felt very staged and small in scale.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I'm curious but not excited so far. I have to say the one thing this trailer made me feel is that it looks cheaper than Penny Dreadful. Doubtless the fact that the latter was all in sets, often dark, let the cinematography and the imagintion do a lot of the heavy lifting... whereas here, a lot of the scenes out in bright, sunny Los Angeles seem bland. Particularly the scene with the shotgun houses where there's some sort of protest/riot going on felt very staged and small in scale.

I certainly see what you mean on looking cheaper, but then i think the original series set a very high standard on that front. No idea of the actual cost but everything looked so rich and detailed. And when you watch the BTS stuff there really was so much care and attention put into everything, from sets, to costumes to hair and make-up. The costume department always outdid themselves i thought (thinking in particular of the ball at Dorian’s house in season 2). 

Inalso think the different eras and locations make a direct comparison more difficult but even so, you are right it looks a lot cheaper.

I did like the look of the dance in the bar or whatever it was.

I’m going to go into this with fairly low expectations and hopefully i will be pleasantly surprised

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Not gonna lie, it looks pretty terrible. There is nothing about it that says, Penny Dreadful to me. 

Yeah, if it wasn't called "Penny Dreadful" I wouldn't give it a second look.  That trailer has all the markings of a crazy mishmash show that is trying to be too many things at once.  

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Liked this trailer a lot more, got me very excited. I think Dormer looks pretty impressive in this too

@DMC

Thanks - I can always count on you!  I agree this piqued my interest much more than the initial teaser.  Although I also agree with others that it still seems far removed from what I think of when I think "Penny Dreadful."  Looks like an interesting period crime drama with some supernatural elements and Natalie Dormer mixed in (and I too look forward to the latter!), almost more like a weird spinoff of Dexter or something.

Actually, thinking on what a Penny Dreadful is i think the name kind of fits if you consider it more of an anthology than a continuation of the first series. 

I share the worry its trying to be too much at once though

Archived