Penny Dreadful: Think of me only when you dance [spoilers through season 3]

HexMachina

That last half hour was nearly perfect. I loved it. It ended the only way it ever really could and exactly how Vanessa wanted it to. I wasn't too high on the showdown which seemed a bit like an Avengers knockoff as they were surrounded by masses of enemies. Clare's narration of Wordsworth's Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Childhood (Had to look that one up :) ) was such a nice touch. It seems to be the series finale, and after that ending, I really hope it is.

Speaking of Clare, one heartbreak after another. He made the right choice when it came to his son, though. Probably my favorite character in the series.

However, Lily's arc was a real disappointment. I finally thought it was heating up after last week, just to have Victor let her go? I admit to enjoying Dorian's parting words to her, but that whole arc was a waste of time. ( Dorian in the last three episodes was the only good thing about that arc.) I had high expectations for that arc coming into this season. Also disappointing that she never saw Ethan again.

And Jeckyll/Hyde existed merely as a tease to fans. His final scene and our discovery of "Hyde" was an insult.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I could have done w/out that whole frog/rat thing.  Just sayin.  If I wanted pointless animal death I would be watching GOT right now instead of PD.  LOL.

I think it's a callack to the Dracula novel?

That was a great ending and would be fitting as series end if it is not renewed.  Most of the characters got some sort of closure or resolution

Spoiler

- Dorian is left alone with his immortality.

- Victor and Lily reclaim some small part of their humanity

- Sir Malcolm and Ethan become family and will endure.

- Clare puts his son into the water rather than bury him to remove any temptation of having Victor bring him back.

If they do renew, they have at least one potential story line they could follow with perhaps Victor and Lily coming back together to stop Jekyll once he goes full Hyde and begins attacking women.

For the most part I enjoyed the last two episodes. If it is a series finale, then it is a fitting one.

The fight at the end was over the top, considering that it was preceded by better, more realistic fight scenes: the one at the house, that seemed to feature some actual dangerous vampires, and the werewolf fight scene.

I wish Dracula's exit had not been so precipitous. I think they made a mistake when they established that he could just be killed with a bullet. So he essentially had to just flee when his plan was thwarted.

While the Lily/Dorian/Victor arc has been mostly disappointing, I really liked Lily's speech, and Dorian at the end.

Jekyll was a disappointment, but maybe they want to establish him as a major villain next season. At the end when his other name was revealed, I thought that maybe instead of him becoming a literal monster due to his chemical experiments, he becomes more of a society monster: Lord Hyde - douchebag aristocrat who uses his wealth to hurt people; Dr. Jekyll - idealistic doctor who wants to help the world.

If the show does go on, I hope that there will be some actual development for Catriona Hartdegen. She was just an action character for now.

And Clare, oh Clare. How much more heartache can this guy take? Maybe he will bring Vanessa back (she was buried in the ground after all). But whatever happens, I would think it's time for him to join the larger group next season.

The penny dreadful YouTube channel had videos up last night with the cast and creators talking about the series finale though it looks like they took the videos down or set them to private. So it looks like the show is done.

That seemed to really fizzle out.  I wonder if they started filming the season not knowing whether or not it would end and so they began several arcs only to have to realize the show was canceled/ended and so had to wrap them up quickly which led to some of the arcs not being satisfying at all.  Not sure I believe that it was simply a creative decision and that it was always planned this way.  Too many things just seem like aborted plots.  

I guess I feel very meh about it all.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

That seemed to really fizzle out.  I wonder if they started filming the season not knowing whether or not it would end and so they began several arcs only to have to realize the show was canceled/ended and so had to wrap them up quickly which led to some of the arcs not being satisfying at all.  Not sure I believe that it was simply a creative decision and that it was always planned this way.  Too many things just seem like aborted plots.  

I guess I feel very meh about it all.  

You're probably right about some of the plots, but not Vanessa's. And that's what drove the whole show, in the end.

8 hours ago, Korvín-Corvinus said:

You're probably right about some of the plots, but not Vanessa's. And that's what drove the whole show, in the end.

She was in the episode for five minutes. 

I wonder if that was a quick way to wrap things up or Eva Green just couldn't come back for whatever they planned.

The show could pick up tomorrow. It only feels final cause it actually was final. She might have been done so they wrote that pseudo-finale that wrapped up her arc but left stuff open and then...Showtime cancelled the show anyway.

Archived